Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anyone else experience their car bog down in the 1-1.5/2k rpm range. It's really only at this rpm range that it happens with if im at 2k+ its totally fine. I noticed it a bit before my newer parts but now it's even more noticeable. It's almost like the car just wants you to floor it. Any thoughts/remedy?

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
It would help to know what modifications your car has. Two things to keep in mind: this is a small displacement, twin turbocharged engine and the ECM calibration will be focused on fuel efficiency under 2000 RPMs.

Most (nearly all) of the engine's power comes from the turbochargers; turbos require exhaust gas to spin the turbine, compressing more air before it enters the intake tract. If the engine is in the low RPM range, minimal exhaust gas is being forced through the turbine, creating minimal to no boost. This means the only power generation is coming from the small, 3.0 liter displacement.

Under 2000 RPMs is considered cruising range, and engine calibrations are designed to be fuel efficient--generating lots of torque and power is not fuel efficient.

Also, it is going to depend on what gear you are in, road situation, and many other factors. Long story short, cruise in the 1250 to 2000 RPM range, when you want to accelerate, downshift and get that RPM range up into the 3000 to 3500 range where the engine is producing significantly more torque and power.

And do not ever lug your engine!

·
Super Moderator
2,566 Posts
Can't really lug an engine with a properly functioning automatic transmission.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can't really lug an engine with a properly functioning automatic transmission.
With the transmission in manual shift mode, you absolutely could. Lugging an engine once is significantly unlikely to cause any real damage, especially since our transmission, even in manual mode, will downshift before the RPMs get too low, but you certainly could find a situation where the RPMs are around 900 to 1000 while crusiing and the transmission has not downshifted yet. Heavy throttle usage in situations like that create significant stress on the engine and turbos, causing premature wear.

·
Super Moderator
2,566 Posts
With the transmission in manual shift mode, you absolutely could. Lugging an engine once is significantly unlikely to cause any real damage, especially since our transmission, even in manual mode, will downshift before the RPMs get too low, but you certainly could find a situation where the RPMs are around 900 to 1000 while crusiing and the transmission has not downshifted yet. Heavy throttle usage in situations like that create significant stress on the engine and turbos, causing premature wear.
It's not really automatic anymore if it's in manual shift, besides, when you slide the shifter to manual mode it usually drops a gear. Plus, I don't believe the Q60 has a lock-up torque converter so there's some slippage and stress relief there as well. I haven't tried to do things in manual mode that you shouldn't, but I know that it won't allow you to shift to too high a gear if you're going too slow for it. The gear indicator will flash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It would help to know what modifications your car has. Two things to keep in mind: this is a small displacement, twin turbocharged engine and the ECM calibration will be focused on fuel efficiency under 2000 RPMs.

Most (nearly all) of the engine's power comes from the turbochargers; turbos require exhaust gas to spin the turbine, compressing more air before it enters the intake tract. If the engine is in the low RPM range, minimal exhaust gas is being forced through the turbine, creating minimal to no boost. This means the only power generation is coming from the small, 3.0 liter displacement.

Under 2000 RPMs is considered cruising range, and engine calibrations are designed to be fuel efficient--generating lots of torque and power is not fuel efficient.

Also, it is going to depend on what gear you are in, road situation, and many other factors. Long story short, cruise in the 1250 to 2000 RPM range, when you want to accelerate, downshift and get that RPM range up into the 3000 to 3500 range where the engine is producing significantly more torque and power.

And do not ever lug your engine!
I see what you are saying about lugging. But these cars. Even in auto mode. Will rev match. Down shift. And then accelerate. Say you are in 5th gear. 40mph. Stomp on it. The car will go to 4th to raise the RPMs. And take off. I think lugging is more prevalent in manual cars. Nonetheless. That’s a good video you shared!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I see what you are saying about lugging. But these cars. Even in auto mode. Will rev match. Down shift. And then accelerate. Say you are in 5th gear. 40mph. Stomp on it. The car will go to 4th to raise the RPMs. And take off. I think lugging is more prevalent in manual cars. Nonetheless. That’s a good video you shared!
When you have the car in manual shift mode, the car does not rev match and downshift; it is possible to lug the engine while in manual shift mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts