Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some Z1 rotors. Thinking of pairing it with stoptech performance pads. Stainless brake lines.

When I swap the lines I was going to replace brake fluid with motul.

Is it necessary to do brake fluid flush when changing the brand of fluid?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,807 Posts
It's a good idea just from the standpoint the "old" fluid has likely absorb moisture over the course of time, so while there's no issue with DOT3/DOT4 compability, from a brake feel and brake fluid boiling point perspective, since you are going through the trouble of replacing with S/S lines, just do the flush.

A good first step when performing the flush is to use a turkey baster or equivalent and remove the old brake fluid from the reservoir, then refill with the new Motul fluid. Just by the act of bleeding the lines you'll get 80-90% there for completing the fluid exchange.

In the old days, I alternatively used ATE Blue Brake Fluid and their ATE Amber Brake Fluid to visually see when bleeding/flushing when using a clear hose on the bleeder. However, the US DOT told ATE that was a no-no a few years ago, so no more blue brake fluid. :mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a good idea just from the standpoint the "old" fluid has likely absorb moisture over the course of time, so while there's no issue with DOT3/DOT4 compability, from a brake feel and brake fluid boiling point perspective, since you are going through the trouble of replacing with S/S lines, just do the flush.

A good first step when performing the flush is to use a turkey baster or equivalent and remove the old brake fluid from the reservoir, then refill with the new Motul fluid. Just by the act of bleeding the lines you'll get 80-90% there for completing the fluid exchange.

In the old days, I alternatively used ATE Blue Brake Fluid and their ATE Amber Brake Fluid to visually see when bleeding/flushing when using a clear hose on the bleeder. However, the US DOT told ATE that was a no-no a few years ago, so no more blue brake fluid. :mad:
Ok, so I can bleed the lines, baster to remove from the reservoir is sufficient, or should I pay for a flush.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you can bleed the brakes yourself, you can flush it yourself.

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,807 Posts
Ok, so I can bleed the lines, baster to remove from the reservoir is sufficient, or should I pay for a flush.
I flushed the brake fluid on my '17 Q60S twice since new. As stated by NINaudio, if you can bleed, you can flush it, too.

There's no special procedure for flushing the brake system on the '17+ Q60s. In other cars, you have to actuate the ABS module to get the fluid to flow through, but that's not the case here.

Once you bleed the brakes, starting with the farthest position (RR), and ending with the closest (LF), you should pretty much get all the old fluid out if you initially remove the old fluid in the reservoir with new fluid.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,807 Posts

This is essential IMO
I have the same tool. You'll need the Ford adapter to work with the Infiniti Master Cylinder Reservoir Cap threads.

Oh, and I leave the vacuum bottle dry, as I simply use it to pressurize the reservoir. This means as I bleed/flush the brake lines, I keep an eye on the reservoir fluid level, and when it gets low, I unscrew the cap slowly, releasing the pressure, add fluid, and then re-install the cap & re-pressurize.

Reactions: VIVID
1 - 7 of 7 Posts