Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on changing out the back tires on a Red Sport? The current tires spin constantly under medium to hard acceleration. Is it the tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050) that are holding me back or should I go bigger like 285/35/19? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Turn the traction control on

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you put sticker and wider tires outback then it should definitely help with getting more power to the ground and cutting down some of the spinning! If 285/35/19 would work without any rubbing issues then you should go for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
That's for the input - hoping someone has done that or can suggest a better tire than OEM.
I'm assuming your car is a RWD model. Why not try out the new Michelen Pilot Sport 4S (it's supposed to be the next gen Michelin Pilot Super Sport which is a really awesome tire)?

Both tires are summer tires. If you need all weathers then the general recommendation here seems to be the Michelin AS3+ or the Continental DWS. Foosh has used the AS3+ tires on his C7 vette (which he drives year round in Maryland) and had nothing but good things to say.

Foosh, jump in :D!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
See this is why I got AWD. I can floor this puppy in the rain and not activate traction control. Ok you loose a little mileage and a little on the quarter mile but who cares. I never run an all out quarter, I scamper out from a dead stop into traffic moving at 55+MPH or cut through tiny holes to make a left turn all the time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Reactions: wetboy44

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone know how wide you can go on the AWD model without rubbing issues? I am looking to replace stock 245's ASAP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm assuming your car is a RWD model. Why not try out the new Michelen Pilot Sport 4S (it's supposed to be the next gen Michelin Pilot Super Sport which is a really awesome tire)?

Both tires are summer tires. If you need all weathers then the general recommendation here seems to be the Michelin AS3+ or the Continental DWS. Foosh has used the AS3+ tires on his C7 vette (which he drives year round in Maryland) and had nothing but good things to say.

Foosh, jump in :D!!
True, the Michelin AS3+ ultra high performance all-season is an extraordinary tire. It's very close the MPSS summer ultra-high performance tire, which the PS4 will replace at some point. The PSS is only noticeably better on hot pavement. They don't get sticky until they get hot, and they start getting very slippery below 50ºF.

We're still in the break-in period on the Q, plus ours is AWD, which my wife wanted, so I haven't really been able to evaluate the OEM tires, but they are near the bottom of the Tire Rack rating list.

Reactions: wetboy44

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Anyone know how wide you can go on the AWD model without rubbing issues? I am looking to replace stock 245's ASAP.
Full disclaimer, this is just what I concluded from some research about plus sizing for my RS AWD.

So taking into account what I know about plus sizing the G37 coupe RWD, plus the inputs from G37 coupe AWD owners in the myG37 crew and the observation that the wheel well's between the G37 and new Q60 are fairly similar, the main question for the AWD Q's is the front max size. That of course is due to the fact that the front size will dictate what you match in the rear with since from what I know running a staggered type tire setup on AWD's can damage the center differential (I could be wrong on this bit, if so someone please chime in). Now the closest diameter plus size to the 245/40/19 is the 275/35/19 with a -0.4% diameter difference. However, on my old G37 (granted it was dropped 1" and spaced) I found that 275/35/19 was too big for the front with some test I did that showed some rubbing issues so that's out as an option. The next closest plus size in diameter difference is the 255/40/19 with a +1.1% diameter difference. That size has been confirmed by G37x folks to fit all four corners without issue. So based on this I'd have to say that 255/40/19 is the largest us AWD owners are going to be able to go.

Reactions: Morpheus

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Full disclaimer, this is just what I concluded from some research about plus sizing for my RS AWD.

So taking into account what I know about plus sizing the G37 coupe RWD, plus the inputs from G37 coupe AWD owners in the myG37 crew and the observation that the wheel well's between the G37 and new Q60 are fairly similar, the main question for the AWD Q's is the front max size. That of course is due to the fact that the front size will dictate what you match in the rear with since from what I know running a staggered type tire setup on AWD's can damage the center differential (I could be wrong on this bit, if so someone please chime in). Now the closest diameter plus size to the 245/40/19 is the 275/35/19 with a -0.4% diameter difference. However, on my old G37 (granted it was dropped 1" and spaced) I found that 275/35/19 was too big for the front with some test I did that showed some rubbing issues so that's out as an option. The next closest plus size in diameter difference is the 255/40/19 with a +1.1% diameter difference. That size has been confirmed by G37x folks to fit all four corners without issue. So based on this I'd have to say that 255/40/19 is the largest us AWD owners are going to be able to go.
Qx4Cor ran into issues with rubbing in the front when his dealership tried putting on 255s on his AWD. Perhaps he can chime in but I had posted a link to his post last week for another member that had a question about tire sizes.

I'm hoping that the aftermarket will prove that a staggered setup is possible on AWD cars with the rears being wider than 245 as long as the rotating diameter is the same as the fronts (+/- some %). This is how it is on the GTR which comes stock with 255 front/285 rears and have been upgraded to run 285 front/335 rear with no issues. Maybe some of us will be able to run 275s in the back with 245s in the front despite the -0.4% difference. I doubt there's enough room to fit 325s which would be a perfect diameter match - at least not without fender rolling or a widebody kit.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I agree testrage I'd LOVE to run 275s in the back on this thing, it'd look so good. That's nuts that Qx4Cor had issues with 255s in the front, I guess I was a bit overly optimistic of wheel well spacing.

Reactions: testrage

·
Registered
479 Posts
Interesting! I wonder if this is why initially the RS AWD was getting 255 all around and then at production was switched to 245 all around. If the 255 were rubbing on the AWD it would explalin why the size was switched at the last minute.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I agree testrage I'd LOVE to run 275s in the back on this thing, it'd look so good. That's nuts that Qx4Cor had issues with 255s in the front, I guess I was a bit overly optimistic of wheel well spacing.
And that too on some nicely finished deep dish rims....sign me up!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forgot to mention it is RWD with 265-35-19 in the rear. I did some research and found the 285-35-19 are only .6 inches taller than the 265s and closer in diameter to the front tires (245-40-19) than the stock ones. Only potential issue they at 0.8 inches wider which is what I want - hoping they will fit since it is a rear tire and not the fronts that have to deal with turning radius.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Just curious as to what the ambient temperatures have been during your wheel spin issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting! I wonder if this is why initially the RS AWD was getting 255 all around and then at production was switched to 245 all around. If the 255 were rubbing on the AWD it would explalin why the size was switched at the last minute.
Yeah, my manual says the AWD has 255s all the way around. Was wondering why mine came with 245s :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts