Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been 3 months since my Q60 RS was on the showroom floor. Today was the first time I've checked the battery fluid level. The plates in every cell were covered but the fluid level was below the UPPER LEVEL. There's a plastic tab that extends down from the opening of each cell. The fluid should cover just the bottom of each tab. Today I added about 90 ml of distilled water to the battery. It's a good practice to have the fluid level checked every 3 months, especially if the temperature is hot in your area.

Page 8-19 of the manual has the procedure.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/cont...60_Coupe/2017/2017-q60-coupe-owner-manual.pdf

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is actually a very big thing and a lot of people don't know about it. I would have thought they would have put in a maintenance free battery though. Nonetheless, it's great practice to keep a check on it. Thanks for bringing this up as a lot of people don't know about it at all

·
Registered
244 Posts
Infiniti dealerships will do this as part of their complimentary multi-point inspection if you're getting any kind of service performed, but for those that want to be reassured, bring it up with your Service Manager/Associate and they will make sure the techs check this (read this from the Q50 folks a while back).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Infiniti dealerships will do this as part of their complimentary multi-point inspection if you're getting any kind of service performed, but for those that want to be reassured, bring it up with your Service Manager/Associate and they will make sure the techs check this (read this from the Q50 folks a while back).
My Nissan dealership has a multi-point inspection as part of the oil/filter change. They've tested batteries on Nissans that I've owned, but they've never checked the fluid level.

I took my Q60 to my Infiniti dealership for an oil/filter change at break-in (1250 miles). I watched them rotate the tires as part of their service (I didn't request it), but they didn't check the battery fluid level.

With 1 year or 10,000 miles for first service on the Q60 RS, that battery fluid level could be below the top of the plates if the tech even checks it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Met with the Service Director at my dealership. On the multi-point inspection they previously only checked the exterior appearance of the battery, the cables, and performed a capacity test. They never opened the caps and checked the fluid level. I informed him that the owner's manual had instructions for battery maintenance in the Do-it-yourself section. He was unaware of that and asked me about it and how I maintained my battery. He did say that the large Infiniti SUVs were very hard on batteries in Texas and that the dealership was going to start checking fluid levels because failed batteries have been leaving customers stranded.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's interesting how each individual cell will lose fluid at different rates over a 3 month period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts