Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new thread on this while I try to chase it down. Infiniti was unable to duplicate the problem last time I took the car in, but the problem has gotten worse, so I'm going to take it back in with more specific instructions and hope for the best.

The problem: a very loud, obnoxious squeak/chirp from the engine bay, which can be heard both from inside and outside the car.

It behaves similarly to a loose belt, but doesn't quite sound the same to me... maybe a bad pulley. I'm curious to get you guys' opinion in the meantime.

I can consistently replicate it under the following conditions:
  • The engine must be hot (15-20 minute drive on the highway)
  • RPM between 1500-3000
I've uploaded a youtube video of the sound: https://youtu.be/gEqGIwFm1Xw

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts
Wow, that would drive me insane. I can hear it and it does sound very much like a bad pulley. Any wear of the timing chain or accessory belts? Or something caught in them?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The belt and pulleys looked clean to me, and Infiniti agreed. I'll have them double check the timing chain as well when I take it in on Thursday.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
That's annoying. How many miles on the odometer?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The belt and pulleys looked clean to me, and Infiniti agreed. I'll have them double check the timing chain as well when I take it in on Thursday.

After listening to it again, I lean toward pulley.

Looks do not always equate to being nonissue with the product. Sealed bearings can look fine, but, have an issue internally.

I think there's been intermittent issues with drive belts on certain turbo engines lately and there was a service bulletin floating around.

Being a bit disconnected with the service side of parts makes that aspect of what I do difficult to keep up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
There is a service bulletin.

Got back to your dealership and have the service department reference ITB17-004 to see if your VIN falls between the range of VIN's this bulletin is applicable to.

There is a procedure for them to follow in the bulletin.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
I'm just over 10k now. The noise started a little before the 10k service, maybe around 9500
Maybe the pulley has a defective bearing? :confused:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a service bulletin.

Got back to your dealership and have the service department reference ITB17-004 to see if your VIN falls between the range of VIN's this bulletin is applicable to.

There is a procedure for them to follow in the bulletin.
Thanks di_parts, my production sequence is 701752, and manufactured post May 27, 2016, so I think it's not affected. Clearance on the belt also looked good to me, but I can have them double check it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks di_parts, my production sequence is 701752, and manufactured post May 27, 2016, so I think it's not affected. Clearance on the belt also looked good to me, but I can have them double check it.
HMMMM....I think you're right. States applicable before May 27, 2016 then lists VIN HM700062, which you fall after that sequence.

Even though not applicable, may it's a one-off that yours could be affected. This is how manufacturers tend to catch and expand bulletins and recalls.

If not, I agree with Bevo that the bearing for one of the pulleys could be the culprit.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, I took it to Infiniti and they said based on my video, it does sound like a bad pulley bearing. It wasn't making the noise when I got there (of course) so they couldn't tell which pulley it was, but they said the tensioner pulley is a relatively common failure on the QX70 and Q50 (3.7), so they decided to go ahead and replace that for me under warranty.

So far the issue seems to be resolved, but since it was intermittent before, it may be a couple weeks before I really know for sure that it's gone.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
Alright, I took it to Infiniti and they said based on my video, it does sound like a bad pulley bearing. It wasn't making the noise when I got there (of course) so they couldn't tell which pulley it was, but they said the tensioner pulley is a relatively common failure on the QX70 and Q50 (3.7), so they decided to go ahead and replace that for me under warranty.

So far the issue seems to be resolved, but since it was intermittent before, it may be a couple weeks before I really know for sure that it's gone.
You'd think they'd be able to examine the pulley for abnormal wear once it was removed.

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts

Time to drive it like you stole it (on a race track I mean >:))!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You'd think they'd be able to examine the pulley for abnormal wear once it was removed.
The rep didn't mention anything on my way out the door, but when I got home and looked at the work order it said "VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN-- FOUND CHIRP NOISE INTERNAL TO TENSIONER ASSY"

To me that sounds like they possibly replicated the problem once they got it disassembled, but I'm not positive. shrug

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright guys, update. At 17k miles, the noise came back (along with a screeching belt at 2.5k-4k RPM). I took it back to the dealership telling them it was doing the exact same thing. They found a chirp in the same pulley, and replaced it and the belt again. It solved the squealing belt, but the chirping persists. So either I got a 3rd bad pulley out of the box (unlikely), or this time it's a different pulley.

Hey maybe I have a bad pulley on the timing chain and replacing it will get rid of the chirp and the weird rattle noise I can hear at low RPM, which @DRen72 also appears to be experiencing.

I've got an appointment to go back in next monday and leave the car with them (since they'll have to drive it around to replicate it).

·
Registered
42 Posts
...Hey maybe I have a bad pulley on the timing chain and replacing it will get rid of the chirp and the weird rattle noise I can hear at low RPM, which @DRen72 also appears to be experiencing.

I've got an appointment to go back in next monday and leave the car with them (since they'll have to drive it around to replicate it).
I'll be watching to see what they tell you. Thankful for warranties.

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts
Alright guys, update. At 17k miles, the noise came back (along with a screeching belt at 2.5k-4k RPM). I took it back to the dealership telling them it was doing the exact same thing. They found a chirp in the same pulley, and replaced it and the belt again. It solved the squealing belt, but the chirping persists. So either I got a 3rd bad pulley out of the box (unlikely), or this time it's a different pulley.

Hey maybe I have a bad pulley on the timing chain and replacing it will get rid of the chirp and the weird rattle noise I can hear at low RPM, which @DRen72 also appears to be experiencing.

Let us know what they find. See if they can check that the pulleys themselves are aligned properly about their axis. It seems weird that you're about to go to a fourth pulley. Once is coincidence, twice is a trend and if the pulley really is to blame then Infiniti has a major quality issue on their hand. I'm more willing to believe it is either another pulley or that the alignment of the pulleys is out (or the belt is pulling them out of whack somehow).

Now might be a good time to pick up that extended warranty in case you hadn't already :D. Might even be able to get them to throw it in for free or at a reduced rate given the number of pulleys you've gone through :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts