Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I just purchased a 2017 Q60. Why is the clear tape applied to the fender area in front of the rear tires? Is this standard or something my dealer installed. I was told it was for rock chip prevention.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yup.

Some people opt to remove it but they're on there pretty good. Probably use a heat gun to take it off. I don't see a reason to fiddle with it though, let it do it's job lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed it already with heat gun. On a white car this looks terrible. 5 miles after cleaning the car a line of dirt builds up and makes it look like car is scratched. Probably fine on a dark car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I removed it already with heat gun. On a white car this looks terrible. 5 miles after cleaning the car a line of dirt builds up and makes it look like car is scratched. Probably fine on a dark car.
Get a "California Duster". Dust is easy. Rock chips, not so much. I guess it's too late now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When the dirt gets built up around the seam/ridge around it then you can definitely notice it quite a bit on a white car, totally understandable. The only other option I can see if walking around with some quick detailer, hog hair brush, and a microfiber lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am sure the Q60 spent some time in a 'stone chip wind tunnel' to determine where the air flow directed the rocks on the side of the car. I know my 370Z had stone chips in the general area where the Q has the protective plastic film. I imagine Infiniti was just trying to head off some complaints.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I am sure the Q60 spent some time in a 'stone chip wind tunnel' to determine where the air flow directed the rocks on the side of the car. I know my 370Z had stone chips in the general area where the Q has the protective plastic film. I imagine Infiniti was just trying to head off some complaints.
With the "hour glass" shape of the Q60, stone impacts in front of the rear wheels will happen.

Reactions: Foosh and Z74Q60

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep, sad but true!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The protective film stays on our car.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I'm thinking about removing all the airbags to lighten the car.

Reactions: Foosh
1 - 13 of 13 Posts