Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've always noticed that when cold starting the Q it makes a fairly pronounced rattle/knock noise for the first 10-15 seconds then goes away. Anyone have any insight to what that is or have the same noise? I remember on the G37 similar cold start sounds but the Q's is soooo much more noticeable because after that initial 15 second window its absolutely gone and sounds wonderful. I've theorized that it's the timing chain but why would it make that rattling sound for 15 seconds then turn off like a switch. It's too clean of a stop in sound to be because of heat buildup, the cutoff sounds intentional almost.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
Mine does the same. It's normal. Let a Red Sport be a Red Sport.

Did your G37 have twin turbos?

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts
I'll have to listen closely to my engine the next time I drive the car. I haven't paid much attention and have been decently well insulated sitting inside the car from engine noises. I'm assuming it isn't a diesel injector like noise as the injectors cycle at start-up, right?

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
I'll have to listen closely to my engine the next time I drive the car. I haven't paid much attention and have been decently well insulated sitting inside the car from engine noises. I'm assuming it isn't a diesel injector like noise as the injectors cycle at start-up, right?
It's easier to hear if you remote start it and stand near the car

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine does the same. It's normal. Let a Red Sport be a Red Sport.

Did your G37 have twin turbos?
Haha fair enough, I get the poor comparison with an NA engine. Still, you're a douche cause it could be something like the starter motor being noisy so HAH!

It's more like a rattle can kind of noise, not like a diesel injector noise. I feel like it's more pronounced at start when its really cold outside, but yea I only truly notice it when I remote start or I'm just listening to my new FI exhaust outside the car :D I actually only bring this up because it got my attention when I was first firing it up with the new shiny tailpipes.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
Haha fair enough, I get the poor comparison with an NA engine. Still, you're a douche cause it could be something like the starter motor being noisy so HAH!
You'd better call a tilt bed and have that thing hauled to the dealership, STAT! :laugh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I notice the same when I remote start - it takes it a few seconds to settle out and then all is right with the world.

My '17 QX50 behaves similarly similarly until the exhaust warms up. My '11 G37 and '14 Q60 took a bit to settle in as well before they ran smooth and quiet. I just attributed it to the nature of mechanical creatures.

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
Yeah, I don't know exactly what the engine is doing during cold start, but it seems that it is intentionally configured differently for cold start. Obviously the fuel/air mixture will be rich, but something else is going on as well.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just glad to hear multiple folks other than Bevo and I noticed this, makes me feel less concerned for the welfare of the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts
I thought that was only needed when it's cold which it doesn't get in the south as you know. What's that white fluffy thing everyone up north gets again? Cotton candy I think...

Although, in all seriousness, I've not been anywhere close to the car the few times I'm tried the remote start and each time was using the app. I guess I'll try it out tomorrow morning to see if I can hear the sound as well and what's causing it.

·
Super Moderator
2,045 Posts
It's more like a rattle can kind of noise, not like a diesel injector noise. I feel like it's more pronounced at start when its really cold outside, but yea I only truly notice it when I remote start or I'm just listening to my new FI exhaust outside the car :D I actually only bring this up because it got my attention when I was first firing it up with the new shiny tailpipes.
Maybe the Q60 feels left out among the venerable Honda Civics (+fart can exhaust) of the world and is only doing its part to fit in ;)

Btw, general disclaimer: I've owned both a stick shift Honda Civic and a stick shift V6 Honda Accord and have nothing but respect for Honda as a brand (they've lost their way imo but I'm hoping they start hitting it out the park again). Neither of my Hondas ever got the Walmart/Pepboys exhaust special added on.

Consider the pot stirred..lmao :laugh:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an fyi I timed it and the sound lasts for 18 seconds. Thanks OCD!

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
Just an fyi I timed it and the sound lasts for 18 seconds. Thanks OCD!
Did you note the ambient air temperature and barometric pressure? If not, then your timing is null and void.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I feel like I can hear that noise at low RPM all the time, no matter how hot the engine is. I just figured it was something unique to the VR30DDTT

I can hear it between 1.5k and 2k usually, which is probably why it seems to go away after the 18 second cold start timer (since the idle RPMs usually fall from about 1.5k to 900 at that point).

·
Super Moderator
2,678 Posts
I feel like I can hear that noise at low RPM all the time, no matter how hot the engine is. I just figured it was something unique to the VR30DDTT

I can hear it between 1.5k and 2k usually, which is probably why it seems to go away after the 18 second cold start timer (since the idle RPMs usually fall from about 1.5k to 900 at that point).
When I had the OEM exhaust and the engine was at normal temps with the car moving at like 5mph, it would sound a little like a turbo diesel, but on cold starts for the first few moments something under the hood does have a clatter. I don't know if it's the engine, or exhaust, or the turbos. But it sounds like the engine is configured differently for cold starts. It may be doing some kind of systems check. I do know that when the car is off, the automatic shutters behind the lower grill are open. When you start the car, they close for a second and open back up, like they're being checked for operation.

The clatter is easy to hear if you stand outside the car and remote start it first thing in the morning.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts