Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '17 Q60RS has been plagued w/ low coolant. At least 6 trips to different dealers, no leaks found, just kept topping it off every single time. All the excuses in the book, "they all burn a little coolant," "it's in the system the level fluctuates, don't worry" etc etc. The most recent episode the engine temperature gauge kept going to hot every time I hit the gas. Finally a Blackstone lab oil report showed coolant was getting into the engine.

I took it to the dealer and brought the report, and my previous complaints of low coolant. He said it's not enough and they said the need to do a compression to verify internal issues, inspect the oil pan etc. Of course they want me to pay over $500 to diagnose a possible porous engine, and they said the want to keep the car for a few days. Does that sound accurate? Any suggestions on getting this resolved?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Seems to be a fairly common issue, especially for the 2017 models. My '17 RS did the same thing, and it passed the pressure test. Turns out coolant was leaking past the head gaskets into the combustion section. You might have a head gasket leak if it's not a porous block. My long block had to be replaced, which was roughly $20k. I'm lucky I had an extended warranty. Infiniti consumer affairs will not help with this unless you're still within the manufacturer warranty. It's scandalous that they're sticking customers with the consequences for a known and increasingly common catastrophic design/material failure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, this should not be our problem but they've done a good job making it so. I do have Infiniti's extended warranty even though I was bringing this to the dealer for the missing coolant during the factory warranty. Hopefully the bad casting is over with w/ these engines in 2022.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good to hear you're still covered by a warranty. If you were seeing a real-time temp spike when pressing the gas, that engine is probably toast. I never saw temp spikes on mine, but my lower end had massive internal heat damage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New engine is in (no new turbos, although they were replaced recently), I see the revised dipstick. Hopefully this engine is better than the one it replaced, still breaking it in keeping it under 4k rpms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts