Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what normally causes DEPLOYMENT of airbag?

Hi everyone,
I own a all new q60 and something very unpleasant happened on me a few days ago.

That was a snowy day, I was driving my car off the fitness center after working out. The road was pretty slippery and because it was late at night, I couldn't see the how deep the angle was when I was driving into a right turn ramp, then, the car slipped and right rear wheel rammed and hit onto the curd.

The body was not damaged, only one broken arm on the wheel rim; but what shocked me was that the sensors sensed some kind of impact and deployed my driver seat combo side airbag and curtain airbag on the left side. Again, nothing on the body was damaged.

The car was towed into the services, the mechanic there gave me a quote of $10k to $20k to replace the airbags for me. Really?

I was thinking if they were just to replacing everything on the car related to the deployed airbags: sensors, module, airbags, etc., because what I heard from the mechanic was, all they've done to inspect my car was only a visual inspection, and a airbag system check using their test box. I wonder if they just don't know what exactly happened that deployed the airbags, so conservatively and safely, they were just planning to replace anything.

I am a student still in college, I was planning to buy this car because I am currently in a part-time job. I didn't think this would happen to me, which mean that I bought a reliability insurance(the insurance company is not covering my cost to repair the damage) for my q60. I know this is silly but what happened is already happened.

I need your help. I want to know if the mechanics knows what they are fixing, or are they just want to fraud my money. And also, does a 30 - 40 km/h slid can and hit-on-rim can actually cause deployment of airbags. I've been to multiple car shop and ask them the relative incidents and they all told me some similar answer: this shouldn't deploy airbags.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi everyone,
I own a all new q60 and something very unpleasant happened on me a few days ago.

That was a snowy day, I was driving my car off the fitness center after working out. The road was pretty slippery and because it was late at night, I couldn't see the how deep the angle was when I was driving into a right turn ramp, then, the car slipped and right rear wheel rammed and hit onto the curd.

The body was not damaged, only one broken arm on the wheel rim; but what shocked me was that the sensors sensed some kind of impact and deployed my driver seat combo side airbag and curtain airbag on the left side. Again, nothing on the body was damaged.

The car was towed into the services, the mechanic there gave me a quote of $10k to $20k to replace the airbags for me. Really?

I was thinking if they were just to replacing everything on the car related to the deployed airbags: sensors, module, airbags, etc., because what I heard from the mechanic was, all they've done to inspect my car was only a visual inspection, and a airbag system check using their test box. I wonder if they just don't know what exactly happened that deployed the airbags, so conservatively and safely, they were just planning to replace anything.

I am a student still in college, I was planning to buy this car because I am currently in a part-time job. I didn't think this would happen to me, which mean that I bought a reliability insurance(the insurance company is not covering my cost to repair the damage) for my q60. I know this is silly but what happened is already happened.

I need your help. I want to know if the mechanics knows what they are fixing, or are they just want to fraud my money. And also, does a 30 - 40 km/h slid can and hit-on-rim can actually cause deployment of airbags. I've been to multiple car shop and ask them the relative incidents and they all told me some similar answer: this shouldn't deploy airbags.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Yeah, that's surprising that a wheel strike would cause airbag deployment, but if you actually broke the wheel then that was a pretty severe impact.

Airbags are expensive and sometimes the cost of just replacing the airbags can mean the car is a total loss. You took a huge gamble not getting full coverage insurance, especially being a college student.

As far as replacing the airbags, as seen what's happened with Takata, they are a potentially life threatening explosive device, so I'm pretty sure there is an exact procedure that must be followed when servicing an airbag system which means $$$$$. Nobody wants to be sued because a customer was killed because of faulty work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
First of all, so sorry to hear about your accident and glad that you are ok.

It is odd that a rear passenger side wheel impact caused your driver front and side bags to deploy. It is hard to gauge how hard the impact was because you say it was "minor"and were travelling at low speed but also use the word "slammed'. From the photo the impact looks to be moderate, as it takes a bit of force to crack a rim that way. Somehow the impact triggered the sensor , but the location doesn't really doesn't make sense. I would take it up with Infiniti.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes it's possible. I was driving down hill 16 years ago in pouring rain and dimly lit street. Drove over a manhole that the top had come off and water was going downhill so hard to see. drove over at 5mph and impact cracked rim or driver's rear. Airbags deployed. Control arm on rerouted suspension bent. $5000 damage. It seemed reasonable at the time. severe impact cracking rim is serious impact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your answer, Snikt.

I didn't know that this was possible, when the airbag deployed, that actually scared me. I didn't know what it was like if airbag deploys, so on the day it happened on me, I thought a large truck hit me on the side. But after I got out of the car and look for damage on my car but couldn't. The next morning, Inifiniti told me about the broken rim then I realized what happened.

They said the impact might stall the back side of the car for a fraction of second, moreover, the car tilted because of that. The combination of two set airbags off. This is pretty reasonable, and I thought that might be it. But later I asked a few mechanic shop but they all told me this, was nearly impossible. They said, if in winter, cars usually slip due to the snow and will sometimes hit on the road curd sideways; if this always occur, airbags deployment problem should be seen by them more frequently, but one of the mechanic said that he had not fixed an airbag since a few years ago. And they also said that this is not possible.

I think I should consult with Infiniti about this problem. I hope they will give me a reasonable reason why I should spend this much of money before I decided to.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I feel bad for your situation. It's not one I would wish on anyone let alone a college student with minimal insurance coverage. That said, be very careful with how you communicate with Infiniti especially regarding the outside opinions you've received. An airbag deploying in a car is usually a major occasion for an automobile (make sure you get the car properly checked out both before and after fixing to make sure the frame is still straight, and that no other supporting suspension/braces were damaged).

It's going to get expensive because of the care that must be taken when reinstalling the airbag (done wrong, it could blow up in the tech's face) not to mention all the control modules and reprogramming of the ECU (if this is even possible) to reset the airbag. In your situation, it sounds like the accelerometer in the car "felt" that your life was in danger and compensated based on its programming to "save" your life. You may not have felt in danger and fact is, it may not have been dangerous or you may have been well insulated in the cabin (given how well these cars have been engineered and built). Situational awareness is very different for everyone and some have more of it than others; that's just how it is sometimes.

TBH, I'd rather the airbag prematurely deploy (unless its been made by Takata ;)) than it not deploy leaving me severely injured (or dead) and questioning the OEM and airbag manufacturer on their setup/programming in what would be a loosing battle for me. I hope you are able to figure something out wrt paying to fix the car.

My 2c. Please keep us updated and I hope for the best.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with the above from @Testrage , it all depends on how the system perceived the incident to be. There are a lot of factors that go into whether or not the airbag goes off and something you think is minor, the system seen as a red light. The amount of body flex or impact shock alone could have set it off. Abrupt change in vehicle speed combined with other factors even.

The situation does suck though and I'm real sorry you have to go through it, just glad you're alright.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey I am the first to admit it that I am not in touch with reality but I would consider not getting their bag reinstalled etc. Do you know how many cars are out there that have faulty airbags so dos it make sense to pay 10K for a replacement? I also heard that they recommend that you replace your airbag every 5-10 years anyway? Just a thought?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your replay, testrage; your information is very helpful.

I wouldn't like to admit but yes, the car need it's proper inspection. But some, like Omenx, says to me the if the price to fix it is worth 1/5 of the price, especially when the car is on lease, it's not a worth it to fix the airbag if it's that expensive. Some suggest me to fix the airbags, while some others suggest me in the opposite way.

Because of the reality, and I am short financially, I have to admit that it was very tempting when I see the idea: not fix the airbags for now. I can then fix my airbags once the aftermarket airbag comes out on the market. It is always cheaper to fix something from a third party mechanic shop than in a dealer's services center. If I haven't run out my luck, I would not get into an accident by myself if I drive more safely and cautiously. But this mean that I am taking another gamble. And gambler always looses the game.

I have two ways to go, and I am stuttered here. This is really hard for me to decide what to do.

One more question, if I get into an accident, while the faulty side is not on me, would I be able to claim my loss from the insurance company?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
One more question, if I get into an accident, while the faulty side is not on me, would I be able to claim my loss from the insurance company?
If you have full coverage insurance your loss is covered no matter who is at fault. Insurance will pay for the damages.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you don't install the airbags again, shouldn't the car be deemed unsafe for driving on the roads and therefore not be able to be certified?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your biggest mistake here is not sideswiping the curb with your wheel.

The biggest mistake here is leasing a Q60 and not acquiring proper insurance coverage on the car.

You need to fix that mistake ASAP before you get into a REAL accident and you damage much more than your car.

May I ask....What were you thinking putting half-ass insurance on your Q60?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Maybe you can ask your family for financial assistance in fixing the airbag and pay them back over time with your part-time job? This really shouldn't be put off and maybe look into changing your insurance to full coverage.

It's an expensive lesson learned but it'll fade over time. I've had to pay for expensive repairs in the past too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised you can under-insure a leased car in Canada. In California, you're required to have full coverage insurance on a leased vehicle.

One of the advantages of a lease comes into play in a situation like yours. Your car will have a diminished resale value having been in an accident where the airbags deployed. In a lease, you just hand Infiniti back the keys at the end of the lease, and that's the end of your obligation - they take it in the shorts for the extra depreciation (assuming you had the damage repaired properly). I would now say that you most certainly will not want to buy that specific car at the end your lease.

As for the accident causing the deployment, it would be surprising if you'd just tapped the curb in the snow. But given that you broke a wheel, I'm not too surprised. The car definitely knows when you're skidding. If you have a car with pre-crash seatbelts (any Tech equipped car), the seatbelts will pre-tighten when you're skidding on snow - I know this from lots of experience. Even in a Q60 w/out the tech pkg, the car's stability system is still monitoring all that sideways movement/skid. That sensing of a skid, combined with an impact sufficient to damage your wheel, could definitely combine to set off the side airbags.

I know what you mean about the scary factor of setting off airbags. Its loud. I'm sorry all this happened to you, hopefully it will work out OK.

One other thing: You are the poster boy for why snow tires should be on anyone's car where they drive in the snow regularly.

Reactions: Bevo Horn
1 - 18 of 18 Posts