Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from the cold start engine rattle, the most annoying problem I have with the car (Q60RS AWD) is a strange vibration in the steering between 90 and 110KPH.

Replaced original run flats with Michelins (wheels balanced in process).
Assumed this would fix the problem, but it didn't.
Left it at dealer for a few days and they "force balanced the wheels" at some specialty place.
did not fix the problem.
Tried every steering combo, drive mode, disabling ALL driving aids...
Will be leaving the car at the dealership for a while during next service, but suspect they will find "nothing wrong" again.

It is a fairly light high frequency vibration in the steering accompanied by a low frequency bass like humming (ASC/ANC is turned off).
On long drives my hands will get tingly if I stay in that speed range for too long, and I have to play music (not a huge issue) to cover up the humming...
It can be felt throughout the car (lightly), in the seats, feeling the roof, etc...
Some days it is a bit better, other days worse. Some days it is constant, other days it feels like it is slowly pulsing. Light/quiet to heavier/louder every 1-2 seconds.

Best way to describe the vibration is that it is similar to the lane departure warning but less intense, almost as if DAS is trying to warn me I am hitting the local speed limit or something.
Best way to describe the humming is that it reminds me of a bad bearing. But if that was the case it would be there all the time, and the car is extremely smooth at any other speeds...

I have a love hate relationship with this car, and will definitely not be buying it out (or another Infiniti) at the end of the lease if this persists...
Any ideas? It is driving me crazy!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I wonder if the issues are drive train related or connected to the DAS force feedback set up. The system is supposed to artificially generate feedback in the steering wheel similar to a PS4 or other controller. However, you mention that it can be felt throughout the car so that makes me wonder about the drive train.

Is your Q60 AWD? Have they checked the driveshaft, AWD system, etc? I know the GTRs have had a bell housing rattle (which can cause vibration under some conditions) that Nissan is only now properly fixing (after 9yrs in production). I wonder if it's something similar.

I'd recommend taking it to a different dealership as well if you can just to see if there is a difference of opinion. See if you can take a senior tech out for a 20-30 min drive and let them get some significant seat time with you in the car so you can point out the issues. That might help.

Let us now how it works out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. I wonder if the issues are drive train related or connected to the DAS force feedback set up. The system is supposed to artificially generate feedback in the steering wheel similar to a PS4 or other controller. However, you mention that it can be felt throughout the car so that makes me wonder about the drive train.

Is your Q60 AWD? Have they checked the driveshaft, AWD system, etc? I know the GTRs have had a bell housing rattle (which can cause vibration under some conditions) that Nissan is only now properly fixing (after 9yrs in production). I wonder if it's something similar.

I'd recommend taking it to a different dealership as well if you can just to see if there is a difference of opinion. See if you can take a senior tech out for a 20-30 min drive and let them get some significant seat time with you in the car so you can point out the issues. That might help.

Let us now how it works out.
Hi Testrage, thanks for the suggestions.

To be fair, it is felt very lightly throughout the car, and passengers only notice if I tell them about it and make them feel the steering.

It is AWD, and I do not think they checked anything at all because they do not think there is anything wrong. But:
They are not allowed to drive over the speed limit which is 80 in the area, so not fast enough to start feeling anything.
The senior tech is always too busy for me to take on a test drive, and I do not think he is motivated because it takes away from his paycheck when he leaves the workshop.

Interesting with the GTR rattle, didn't know about that... Any suggestions are really helpful, I have been combing forums to try and point me in the right direction.

I might try another dealership, and will post back here if I figure anything out.

Cheers,

Ced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Testrage, thanks for the suggestions.

To be fair, it is felt very lightly throughout the car, and passengers only notice if I tell them about it and make them feel the steering.

It is AWD, and I do not think they checked anything at all because they do not think there is anything wrong. But:
They are not allowed to drive over the speed limit which is 80 in the area, so not fast enough to start feeling anything.
The senior tech is always too busy for me to take on a test drive, and I do not think he is motivated because it takes away from his paycheck when he leaves the workshop.

Interesting with the GTR rattle, didn't know about that... Any suggestions are really helpful, I have been combing forums to try and point me in the right direction.

I might try another dealership, and will post back here if I figure anything out.

Cheers,

Ced.
I have a similar issue with humming in the same speed range but not the vibration. Was the problem solved?
My experience with three different dealerships was also not really satisfying yet.

Best regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a similar problem - just the humming noise in the same speed range.
Is your problem solved? If so: What was the reason for the problem?

Best regards,
Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting, haven't heard complaints regarding that issue . Does the issue happen on any roads at that speed or does it only happen on a specific road at this speed ?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Have you driven on both concrete and asphalt? Is there any difference in feeling and sound between those surfaces?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The bass humming noise (around 44Hz) starts at around 80km/h (50mph) and gets louder with a maximum at 110km/h (70mph) and disappears at 120km/h (75mph) and it feels sometimes like it is slowly pulsing.
It seems to be more often on asphalt than on concrete I think. It appears not every day but often. I did not find any dependency to weather conditions yet.
There is also no difference between driving with summer or winter tires or changing driving mode.
I feel no vibration in the steering wheel.
Three times I went to the dealer showing them the noise and every time the car was quiet - bad boy ;)
...and it is the European Q60S which should be similar to the Q60 Red Sport 400 (AWD with 3.0 l engine and 405PS).

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is nit really a dependency to a specific road or type (asphalt type, etc.) - sometimes it seems not as loud if I drop from higher speeds into the "critical" area around 110km/h (70mph).

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is nit really a dependency to a specific road or type (asphalt type, etc.) - sometimes it seems not as loud if I drop from higher speeds into the "critical" area around 110km/h (70mph).
I have the same, most likely, tires that you do - Michelin Pilot Sport a/s3+ and that humming hollow metal drum rolling noise drives me insane. These are the first and last Michelins I have

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also thought the problem was caused by the tires but after changing the stock summer tires to winter tires, nothing changed. So I am convinced, the problem is caused by something else.
My impression is, that the noise is louder when slightly accelerating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts