Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions for good dash cams? Rather not have the type with a display but the type with wifi that uses a phone. I have the Thinkware F770 in my amazon cart at the moment (it's not the first by a long shot just the current one I'm eyeing most) but it seems like all the decent cams are foreign models that don't really have any kind of US distribution/support so if there's a warranty issue you're basically screwed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I forgot to add I want front and rear coverage, also that one has a screen and is probably rated so high due to fake reviews, fakespot doesn't exactly rate them highly

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Guess I forgot to add I want front and rear coverage, also that one has a screen and is probably rated so high due to fake reviews, fakespot doesn't exactly rate them highly
It's kinda pricey but here's one I was considering getting when my current dashcam dies
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MC4XL2...lid=21KJQAAXRFYEC&coliid=I3ECE5KGSLIVGI&psc=1

This one is cheaper and can be had for $126 with code VANTRUN2 but the ratings may be artificially inflated..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IHLKZ0...2[a|B01IHLKZ0I[au|5727177402741770316[b|deals

It's only a front facing dashcam but I have 3 of these in my cars and have had them for 3+ years with no issues
https://www.amazon.com/FineVu-CR-50...UTF8&qid=1480456934&sr=1-3&keywords=finevu+cr

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blackvue apps seem to have serious privacy issues, I dont need them constantly tracking my location on my phone just to use their app, there's a few apps I let do that, like weather, because I want to know what the weather is around me from the lock screen or the map app so it can track where I park my car, stuff that gives me a noticeable and tangible benefit to track me when I'm not actively using the app. The thinkware one doesn't seem to do that from what I've read but it also doesn't have a whole lot of english support and in fact all the vocal prompts it makes are in korean with no ability to turn them off, only down...

Seems dash cams are much more popular overseas than they are in the US for now.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Seems dash cams are much more popular overseas than they are in the US for now.
Yeah, they are most widely used in Korea and so most of the best manufacturers hale from there or the surrounding region (Taiwan & China). I don't know if a U.S. company will ever pick them up because of our concerns/issues with big brother watching and all that...heck Chevy shut down the voice recording feature in their track focused PDR setup. If a domestic company ever picks them up, I bet they will end up being overpriced while delivering about the same level of performance and being manufactured overseas.

The best cams are the pricier ones. I've used dash cams for the last 7yrs and have had some el cheapo ones that cost less than $100 which had poor video & sound recording. I stayed away from ones that had GPS recording but may consider it given that you can track your car if it it gets stolen or is in for service and the tech takes it for an extended joyride. I believe it's how at least one person found out the tech was abusing their car by speeding like crazy on public roads. Imagine getting a red light ticket for an offense you did not commit and being able to prove it was not you!

Not to mention there was the most recent news item about a tow truck driver abusing someone's GTR when it should have been dropped off at a dealer. The dash cam came in handy for him. Tow Truck Driver Caught On Video Taking Disabled Man's Nissan GT-R For A Joyride

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Thinkware F750. I love it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The Thinkware F750 seems to be forward facing only? After reading about that tow truck driver, I'd want something recording the cabin and rear too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up buying the Thinkware F770 which is front and rear. Hopefully it ends up being a waste of 400 bucks but with how distracted and bad drivers are getting these days it seems prudent

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Thinkware F750 seems to be forward facing only? After reading about that tow truck driver, I'd want something recording the cabin and rear too.
It has both front and rear capabilities. There is a separate rear camera that mounts in the rear window but is connected to the main unit which houses the front facing cam.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the BlackVue DR650S-2CH (front and rear) and I absolutely freaking love it!!!

I opted to go the external battery pack route with the BlackVue B-112 battery (LifePo4) instead of hard wiring with a PowerMagic Pro and constantly running down the car's battery until shut off (just don't want to deal with any car battery issues down the line which I have read about when it comes to hard wiring dash cams).

With the external battery mounted on the front passenger small cargo netting I have the camera's power line running above/in the headliner and around and under the glove box, right into the battery, wires completely hidden. Battery is then left plugged into the accessory outlet (thank goodness ours is only on when the car is on ACC/running) although I may disconnect the camera from the battery if I don't need parking mode running.

When I commute in the morning I plug in the camera to the battery pack and the battery pack is charged fully on my way to work...once i'm at work and parked with the ignition off the camera automatically switches to parking mode and connects to my company's guest wi-fi from its parking spot (where I can access the live feed from my desk at anytime) and runs off the battery pack for the entire time i'm at work...and i'll usually have 25% power to spare once I begin my commute home (and of course, by the time I get home, battery pack is once again charged fully should I decide to leave the camera plugged in and running overnight in my driveway). Even with running both the front and rear camera a fully charged B-112 lasts 10-12 hours in parking mode, which is amazing.

I highly recommend the DR650S-2CH, especially for the $300 I paid on eBay. Just be sure to use a trusty Class 10 microSD from Lexar or something similar to avoid issues.

Here's a screenshot of me driving past an i3 that got destroyed last week (thankfully no serious injuries) to put video quality into perspective. I can also snap pics of the setup in my car or even do a full review if anyone's interested. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts