Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 red sport 400
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, this is my first post so go easy on me. So I did a couple of pulls on map 3, and to be honest, I'm struggling to understand what the "trim" and "ignition" should be.

One thing that has me concerned is the AFR going super lean. Is there anyone that could give me any input on the attached JB4 graphs (even beyond the AFR)? I'm willing to do any testing or pulls on other maps if it helps you to better understand what's going on. To be safe, I'm going to disable the JB4 so I don't do any damage to the car...

Mods:
Lower downpipe
2.5" full exhaust with muffler delete
JB4
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Technology
Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Terrestrial plant
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

I appreciate the help.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Technology

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Haven't had a JB4 for awhile, as I went Ecutek tune in September 2018, but when I go back to the N54 forum thread:

Infiniti Q50 3.0t VR30DDTT Red Sport and Silver Sport BMS Stage1 & JB4 - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Map 3 (5.5 psi) over requested, is too much, considering the Red Sport max psi is 14.5 psi. 14.5 + 5.5 psi = 20 psi! What octane gas are you running? The ECU is likely reducing fuel (trim) to keep the turbo impeller speed in-check, and not over-boost. That would also explain the lean AFR #'s.

Most JB4 users target 17-18 psi for 91 octane fuel, and 18-19 psi max for 93 octane fuel.

Here's the map descriptions:
Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Pattern

I would select Map 6, and run a tapered boost profile, which is this screen:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

I would "max out" on boost at 4.0 from 4-5k rpm, and taper up from 2 @ 1500 rpm, and down to 0 @ 6.5 & 7k rpms.

This would give you the most boost addition where the turbos are most efficient, which is 4-5k rpm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the detailed information my friend. I am running 93 in the Q60. I'll enter the numbers you suggest, log the results and post them as soon as I get a dry day to do so (rain scheduled over the next few days). I notice that the duty bias is set to 50 down the line. Should I have my duty bias set the same? Thank you again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more quick question while we're at it. For the sake of protecting the turbo's, would you suggest adding BOV's? I've heard both good and bad regarding them so I don't want to do the wrong thing.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I notice that the duty bias is set to 50 down the line. Should I have my duty bias set the same? Thank you again!
Leave the Duty Bias at whatever the default setting is when you enter the Map 6 information, which is either "0" or "50".

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
One more quick question while we're at it. For the sake of protecting the turbo's, would you suggest adding BOV's? I've heard both good and bad regarding them so I don't want to do the wrong thing.
There's a continuing debate about how much BOVs protect the VR30 turbos. I have the TurboSmart BOVs, which have some adjustment of the spring for adjusting blow-off pressure, and I can get the BOVs to actuate (appropriately) under high-rpm, let-off throttle, conditions.

IMO, the Garrett turbos on the VR30 are not failing due to boost spikes due to lack of BOVs, rather, the turbos are failing due more to oil level, quality, maintenance, and owner driving habits. If you do a search, you'll see various threads on oil both here and on the infinitiq50.org forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts