Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, recently had my car into Infiniti for an infotainment issue, of which they replaced the unit.

While there I wanted them to quote me on not only the Red Alpha intake, but also the heat exchanger. The service guy I deal with normally, who has been great says, those parts really aren't worth it. They don't seem to fit/ work that well on the non-redsport platform (my car the 3.0t premium). He admitted that they've had a bunch of cars have issues believed to stem from those "red alpha" parts not working right on your type of car. I asked about warranty coverage, and he said absolutely the parts are covered but only for so long all the while you will end up with issues.

I just installed a Fast intentions LDP and Catback exhaust to go along with the jb4 I've had for a bit. What should I make of this, why wouldn't he just take my money? Ugh, now I'm torn. What should I do now? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
584 Posts
An upgraded HE is absolutely worth it. Being able to repeatedly boost in higher ambient temps without knock retard/timing pull is possible only with an upgraded HE. AMS, Burger Tuning, and Mishimoto make HEs for the VR30 Q50s & Q60s.

I went with the AMS HE, partially because it was the only one available at the time (early 2017), but also because it fit "like a glove" - it looks stock with the "Infiniti" placarded on the front, and I got a 1-yr labor warranty from my Infiniti dealer. I bought it through Ebay, using a Georgia Infiniti parts guy who used to frequent this forum. I paid $629, after a sale price of $729 with an additional $100 Ebay discount.

As for the AMS Intakes - if you are not going to get tuned (i.e., Ecutek), then I would stick with the OEM air boxes, and buy a free-flowing dry filter like AFe. The stock air boxes flow very well, and only a flash tune can you get another 10-15 hp out of using the AMS Intakes, at most. The AMS Intakes are not a great bang-for-the-buck.

With the savings of $499 (or slightly less now), I would put that toward the HE purchase & installation costs. If you dealership is giving you heartburn about the HE installation, i would try another dealer or find a qualified Speed Shop that deals with late model Japanese cars, like the GT-R, for example.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They don't seem to fit/ work that well on the non-redsport platform (my car the 3.0t premium).
Incorrect. Red Alpha parts are equivalent fit to factory. AMS is meticulous with their development and quality, and Infiniti partnered with them because of it. Honestly, all of my Red Alpha parts fit better than all of the parts I have gotten from Infiniti, especially Infiniti Motorsports.

He admitted that they've had a bunch of cars have issues believed to stem from those "red alpha" parts not working right on your type of car. I asked about warranty coverage, and he said absolutely the parts are covered but only for so long all the while you will end up with issues
The only issues I have heard reported regarding AMS' Red Alpha parts and tune were due to a bug with an older version of EcuTek (I had experienced this; been fine for 10,000 miles whereas it could not go 700 miles before) and an issue "with" their low pressure fuel pump kit (each of these reports were narrowed down to either a degraded O-ring that the customer reused or a bad pump from Walbro that was immediately rectified)

As far as warranty goes, the parts will have warranty from Infiniti Motorsports / AMS (depending where you acquire the parts from). Infiniti cannot deny warranty coverage for repair work unless the installed parts are proven to have caused the damage (AMS is the only one in the business I would blindly trust to be flawless and not cause issue with the car).

of it. Honestly, all of my Red Alpha parts fit better than all of the parts I have gotten from Infiniti, especially Infiniti Motorsports.

I just installed a Fast intentions LDP and Catback exhaust to go along with the jb4 I've had for a bit. What should I make of this, why wouldn't he just take my money? Ugh, now I'm torn. What should I do now? Any thoughts?
A lot of dealerships refuse to deal with aftermarket parts, even Infiniti aftermarket parts. When it comes to the service advisors and parts department at my local Infiniti dealership, they are completely by the book--if it is not explicitly called out in the service manual, they will just walk away. That being said, the technicians are fine with aftermarket parts--I have had some great discussions with that crew, especially when my car was in the shop for troubleshooting that ultimately led to narrowing it down to the bug with EcuTek. The service advisors had no issue talking with me about how modified my car was, they just cannot recommend installation of the parts (and I suspect part of this is because the parts department will not partner with Infiniti Motorsports).

Upgrading the heat exchanger is the single most important mod on this car; grab the Infiniti Motorsports version of it if you want a logo that the dealership will not do a double take on. See if they will install your "Infiniti heat exchanger".

My experience with service advisors, especially outside of my local Infiniti dealership, is that most of them know absolutely nothing about cars; they are essentially receptionists and crappy sales people. Even with how good my local service advisors are, I still hear them give their spiel and routinely recommend unnecessary service (things that do not make sense at the mileage of the vehicle or are not within Infiniti's recommended service schedule) to clients. Take what they say with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's a joke. There's hundreds of people with AMS parts and the majority of them are fine. Sure, if you start pushing these motors to the max power/torque limit you're going to have problems. That's not on the parts, that's on you and your tuner. All of my red alpha parts are fantastic. Fitment is like OEM. Your SA is an idiot.

You're fine if you already have FI LDP and CBE. You won't notice any more gains from AMS. I'm running FI's full catted DPs and CBE as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I haven't been in this platform long, everything I've read pointed to that fact that these "infiniti parts," were ok to run on my car. Maybe I just asked the wrong service advisor, clearly. At any rate, I'm going to move ahead with it, in the end it's my car. 😁

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Red Alpha? Is that the plates I saw on the side of a Q60 RS the other day? I saw a black one with “Midnight ???” also. Any links to what they have that I don’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Red Alpha? Is that the plates I saw on the side of a Q60 RS the other day? I saw a black one with “Midnight ???” also. Any links to what they have that I don’t?
Red Alpha is the line of AMS Performance parts for the Q60 and Q50. Through AMS and Infiniti's partnership, many of these parts are available from Infiniti Motorsports with the Infiniti logo on each.

One of Infiniti's press releases: INFINITI Q60 RS400 Specialized Builds | INFINITI USA
AMS is thrilled to offer exclusive parts for the Q60 Red Alpha concept, such as Red Alpha Intercoolers, Red Alpha Intakes with Dry Media Filters, High Flow Exhaust Downpipes, a Red Alpha Catback Exhaust System and much more. Many of these parts will soon be available for purchase at INFINITI retailers in North America and through AMS distributors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts