Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone is running drop in air filters with stock intakes. It looks like AEM and K&N both have ones available for the Q.

Does anyone know if these will increase the turbo noise?

I want an intake but refuse to go with Stillen and Burger Tuning has not release theirs yet.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Yea the stock air boxes are sealed and baffled, so I doubt a new box filter would change the sound any. Why not just build your own? All you need is two MAF housing tubes, and as luck would have it I did find some from MRP Manufacturing:
2.5 OD Slot Style MAF Mass Air Flow Housing for Honda Acura Nissan Infiniti | eBay

The you just need some tubing and filters and you're all set. Note that you wouldn't have the filter covers, but I've run my setup without them without issue.

Here's my list of parts you'd need:

2x 2.5" MAF Housing Tubes = $174
2x 45 degree Silicone Reducer 2.5" to 2.0" = $40
1x 2" 30 degree elbow = $17
1x Stainless Steel Joiner, 2" = $8
3x T-Bolt clamps for 2" Silicone Parts = $12
2x T-Bolt clamps for 2.5" Connections = $6
2x Dual Cone Air Filters, 2.5" Inlets = $30

Total without shipping = $287

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea the stock air boxes are sealed and baffled, so I doubt a new box filter would change the sound any. Why not just build your own? All you need is two MAF housing tubes, and as luck would have it I did find some from MRP Manufacturing:
2.5 OD Slot Style MAF Mass Air Flow Housing for Honda Acura Nissan Infiniti | eBay

The you just need some tubing and filters and you're all set. Note that you wouldn't have the filter covers, but I've run my setup without them without issue.

I'm surprised you just didn't make one yourself! That whole part list and you still opted to buy stillen??

Although, you probably didn't know what all was needed until you already had the Stillen.

That is not a bad price. I might be giving that a shot if I can find some time. Any idea what size filter to use? What size is the Stillen?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just make sure that the ID of the aftermarket MAF housing precisely matches the OEM housing or you'll run into problems and will need a tune to compensate.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

One last question about this, what would I do about the PCV hose? It appears the MAF housing you linked me does not have the piece that it attaches to.

Reactions: LoganB

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
One last question about this, what would I do about the PCV hose? It appears the MAF housing you linked me does not have the piece that it attaches to.
:eek: son of a.......

One sec gonna figure that out..

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Reactions: Broxx

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I'm surprised you just didn't make one yourself! That whole part list and you still opted to buy stillen??

Although, you probably didn't know what all was needed until you already had the Stillen.

That is not a bad price. I might be giving that a shot if I can find some time. Any idea what size filter to use? What size is the Stillen?
Thanks for reminding me that I've spent way WAY too much money on intake stuff alone just so that I could save all yall buku bucks in the end. :crying:

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
OOHOHOHOH or you could just put one of those tiny lil filters on the end of the PCV tube! Just search for "crankcase breather filter".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol LoganB. You just created a custom intake (that shouldn't stutter/jerk/lurch) for the VR30 for way less $ than the competition (Stillen)! Good $hit~

·
Registered
48 Posts
AEM do not fit, had to trim around the edges. AFE fits perfect in the air box. As far as performance, sound, cannot tell any difference.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OOHOHOHOH or you could just put one of those tiny lil filters on the end of the PCV tube! Just search for "crankcase breather filter".
Do you think the filter route would be a better option? I would rather do then drill into the MAF housing. I'm just wondering if it would lead to problems such as the jerkyness like Stillen.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am using K&N filters. No big sound if any difference. I do get 1.5 MPG increase.
Are you using drop in filters with stock air boxes?

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Do you think the filter route would be a better option? I would rather do then drill into the MAF housing. I'm just wondering if it would lead to problems such as the jerkyness like Stillen.
That's a cheap and easy way of doing it for sure, but this is one place where I'd rather have a vac nipple welded on. Sucking in a grommet through the turbocharger would be very bad. A permanent solution is the only way to go here in my opinion.
Broxx, using a small breather filter shouldn't cause any issues like jerks or rough idles, it's just a question of measuring the hoses ID and finding a nipple joiner that fits in both the filter ID and the hose ID.

Fourg63 has a point, but if it were me I'd epoxy steel weld the grommet in place (that stuff is awesome for everything). Other then that just finding some shop to arc weld a small tube in place shouldn't be too hard. Heck my local gun shop does stuff like that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts