Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full disclosure - my '17 Q60S w/o ICC is able to have the BMS Pedal Tuner installed, and I absolutely enjoy the lack of tip-in delay on the accelerator pedal.

That said, many Q50s and Q60s come with FEB and/or ICC, which is not compatible with the BMS Pedal Tuner. However, I came across another Pedal Tuner made by DTE Systems, which makes no limitations for their PedalBox Pedal Tuner, which has been confirmed by other forum member inquiries.

It just so happens DTE Systems is celebrating 25 years in the industry, and they are offering 25% off for their PedalBox with either standard, Red or Gold trim finish on the control pad:

PedalBox - The original accelerator tuning system for more driving fun
Rectangle Font Software Parallel Technology

I ordered one today for my other vehicle - a '21 Audi SQ5 Sportback, because it has the same lag at tip-in when not in Sport mode. Well, I'd like to run in all modes with no tip-in delay, so I ordered one with the optional Pedal App, which with the discount is $261.75 delivered.

DTE Systems offers a 30-day trial (money-back guarantee) for their products, so if for some reason there is an issue, it can be returned risk-free.

Reactions: whatsgood

·
Registered
79 Posts
Actually.. scratch that.. I did what I should have done in the first place and went to the manufactures site and read. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of difference do you notice from having one of these? What exactly does it do?
Here's a great video by Sprint Booster, which shows what pedal tuners do for pedal response:

Reactions: Dzazter

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
25% anniversary sale has ended as of October 3rd.

Reactions: Dzazter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks, IridiumRS400, for the info and link.. very helpful.
One of the first things I'm going to install on my Q when i get it.
I wish there was an install vid or pics for those not yet familiar with the layout of the Q's accelerator pedal area.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish there was an install vid or pics for those not yet familiar with the layout of the Q's accelerator pedal area.
The accelerator pedal on our Qs has two screws hidden by the small plastic panel at the base of the pedal. Once you remove these two screws, iirc, the pedal assembly just unhooks from the firewall, and the connector is on the bottom of the assembly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm one who likes to be as prepared as possible before i open my tool box.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
IridiumRS400: "25% anniversary sale has ended as of October 3rd."

For those interested in the PedalBox, here's a note from DTE North America Sales two days ago:
"We do not have an active sale, but we will for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, to what degree I am not all too sure."

That's just next month, so I can wait to see what transpires...

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few days ago, I broke out the VCDS tool and connected it to my '21 Audi SQ5 Sportback. Although I don't have the PedalBox pedal tuner on my Q60 (I have the BMS Pedal Tuner, instead), the VCDS Tool can measure many different engine parameters that exist on the Can-bus, including Throttle Plate Position and Acceleration Pedal Position.

I wanted to test the different settings of the PedalBox pedal tuner, and how each setting affects the throttle plate movement. I opened the basic settings screen in the Engine Module within the VCDS tool. For a simple comparison, I used my iPhone and recorded one accelerator pedal actuation cycle, from no pedal to just before kick-down to no pedal (pressure).

I pressed the pedal slowly for each separate PedalBox setting - Stock, City, Sport, and Sport+:

Stock:

City:

Sport:

Sport+:

From watching the throttle plate position with the Stock setting, a delay definitely exists when the accelerator pedal is initially moved off its initial setpoint. From there, City adds ~7.5%, Sport adds ~15%, and Sport+ adds ~30%. For this approximation, all I did was hold the accelerator at 30% at the stock setting, and changed the PedalBox setting while attempting to keep the pedal at the same position.

While it's not on an Infiniti Q50/Q60, having the PedalBox on my new Audi and being about to directly measure the throttle position vs accelerator pedal position provides some sense of what the PedalBox pedal tuner is doing in the different modes.

Note: Within each mode, the PedalBox provides a "+" and "-" setting to reduce/enhance the pedal gain by about 2% 3x within the City, Sport, and Sport+ settings. I left these bias settings at no bias for the testing.

In the case of the Audi, the City setting works great for stop and go and around town driving, as the setting name implies. The throttle lag is pretty much non-existent. For back road driving with on-and-off throttle transitions, the Sport setting works great. I could only see using the Sport+ setting at a dragstrip or for that occasional street race in Mexico.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: NINaudio

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is pedal box needed if the car is already tuned? Can’t the tuner change parameters to change the car accelerator for throttle

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is pedal box needed if the car is already tuned? Can’t the tuner change parameters to change the car accelerator for throttle
I can just go by my experience - I picked up the BMS Pedal Tuner AFTER I was Ecutek-tuned by SpecialtyZ, as I still was experience throttle lag on occasion when "giving it the beans" to enter highway traffic from an on-ramp. After I installed the pedal tuner, I have not experienced that same throttle lag.

I like the pedal tuner concept because I can adjust the pedal command based on what I am doing with my Q. Am I in stop and go traffic? Use a less aggressive pedal. Back road canyon carving or AutoXing? Dial-up the gain.

After having a good experience with the DTE Pedal Box in my Audi SQ5, I am considering replacing the BMS Pedal Tuner with the DTE PedalBox, because the PedalBox appears to have more distinct gain profiles between the City, Sport, and Sport+ modes. Just have to wait for their BF sale.

Oh, and with the DTE PedalBox, if you don't like it, you have 30 days to return for a full refund (no re-stocking fees).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting..sounds dope..how does it affect different drive modes that come from factory..like if I’m in standard can I make it drive like sports plus with the pedal tuner, and also if I’m in sports plus would I be able to leave it of the if traffic is only 1/4mile long kuz u can see where it ends up the road and just switch the pedal tuner…or is the pedal tuner the only option once installed?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pedal tuner will have the most effect in Standard mode. The Sport & Sport+ mode have a slightly more aggressive pedal gain, but with the Pedal Tuner, you can adjust it up or down, accordingly.

For example, I drive in Standard mode for highway cruising, because I don't need a firmer suspension (feel), or rev-matching, etc., however, when I need to overtake someone (i.e., semi), having a faster response to pedal input is helpful for getting clear of the passing/opposing lane as quick as possible.

Regardless of the drive mode, I find the more aggressive pedal gain via the pedal tuner helpful when at speed, and getting an immediate response when in a higher gear, which helps for simple lane changes, among other things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts