Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a PITA.

Since my service contract has expired I decided to save money and change the air filters for the first time myself. First I removed the intake cover because I knew the front of the air filter housings would have debris in them. Sure enough there was sand in the bottom. Got the vacuum to suck the sand out. Didn't really work. Wiped the inside as much as I could with paper towels but some sand still remained. Vacuumed again, still some sand. Used a toothbrush to loosen the sand. Appently grime was causing the sand to stick to itself and the housing. Laid the toothbrush down and it fell somewhere in front of the radiator and behind the interior bumper. Can't see it and I'm not taking the car apart to find it. Vacuumed the housings again and finally all the sand is sucked out.

Now to remove the filters.
Removed the screw that's forward of each filter housing to give me a little more wiggle room. Opened the housings and it's a really tight squeeze removing the filters. The bottom tabs on the passenger side housing disengaged while removing the filter which made it slightly easier to get it out. Removing the filters revealed more sand so I had to get another toothbrush to scrub and then vacuum again.

Now for the installation.
Really tight squeeze getting the filters in and the gasket seated. Driver side done. On the passenger side installed the filter thinking I could reseat the bottom housing tabs after. Couldn't get the tabs to comply. Took the filter back out. Got the tabs reseated, then really tight squeeze to slowly get the filter back in.

Thank you Infiniti, but actually servicing the air filters on my motorcycles is even a bigger PITA. One requires lifting the fuel tank. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,964 Posts
FWIW, cleaning or changing out the air filter elements in the AMS (or "Infiniti"-branded) Intakes is much easier. After removing the big air duct (10 push rivets), two allen-head bolts removed that join the upper & lower housings, and two bolts removed that fasten the upper housing to the radiator support. Lift-off the upper housing, remove the access plug from the lower housing, and then use a 7-mm nut driver to loosen the clamp on the filter element. Remove element. Repeat for the other side. Easy-peasy.

• Haha
Reactions: NINaudio and Bevo

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Can definitely relate to the hassle. Having done it a handful of times I've found one trick that helps a bit: lightly coat the filter gasket with lube (Windex, WD-40, ArmorAll, etc) then carefully slide the filter down between the split airbox. Squeeze the airbox halves together and snap the clamps and done !

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,964 Posts
One of my boxes has a broken tab now from doing the drop ins. It's a fantastic design from a performance standpoint, but it's terrible for actual service.
I would just ante-up for the AMS (or Infiniti-branded), Z1, or ConceptZ air boxes (all the same design), if not for a few extra ponies, just the easier serviceability of the filter elements.

Reactions: islandsk8er0020

·
Registered
2021 q60 RS i-line awd
83 Posts
It's something I'm considering. I've also kicked around just fabbing a box up one weekend out of aluminum using off the shelf cone filters, not to really gain anything but just for fun.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,964 Posts
Reactions: 351FUN

·
Registered
2021 q60 RS i-line awd
83 Posts
At this time of year, the pricing is the best you'll find all year. For example, Z1 makes a CF Intake:

Z1 Q50 / Q60 3.0t Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60

The best price I've seen for the CF (fancy!) version...

You say that's cheap, but then it's the only CF part I have under the hood. So I can't just stop there. Next thing you know that intake cost me $2k in extra carbon bits

·
Registered
2021 q60 RS i-line awd
83 Posts
At this time of year, the pricing is the best you'll find all year. For example, Z1 makes a CF Intake:

Z1 Q50 / Q60 3.0t Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System - Z1 Motorsports - Performance OEM and Aftermarket Engineered Parts Global Leader In 300ZX 350Z 370Z G35 G37 Q50 Q60

The best price I've seen for the CF (fancy!) version...

Ended up snagging a B&C intake for $400 shipped with their black friday sale. Not sure if that's gonna be easier or harder to change filters on than stock lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts