Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR: Infiniti is replacing the engine and turbos on my car under warranty.

I was doing some general maintenance on my car a few weeks back when I noticed my engine coolant reservoir was low. I had drive for 45 minutes and my engine had been off for about 30-45 minutes when I noticed the reservoir was below the minimum line. I added coolant to about 1/2 way between min and max. Drove home another 45 minutes and coolant had dropped from that level. Drove to work a few days later and coolant was under minimum again. Called my dealer, who told me to bring it in. They confirmed that it was definitely losing coolant, but could not find the reason why. There were no leaks, no smoke from the exhaust, no coolant in the oil. They performed a boroscope and discovered that the cylinder walls were scarred. They estimate about 2 weeks before I'll have my car back. I am planning to have them pull some oil so I can send it to Blackstone for analysis and comparison with my last report, which showed very low wear metal levels.

Reactions: 1701-64D

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
These type stories definitely make me both happy and sad. Happy you're getting a new engine for sure. Very sad that this seems to happen to what is supposed to be a reliable premium car. One of the reasons I went with the 2017 Q60RS I have is because of how bullet proof my 2008 G37S was. Even after a major, and I mean MAJOR (should have been totaled) accident at 75K I still didnt has a single major mechanical problem right up to trade-in on the Q at 150K. I have 40K on the Q and I was SERIOUSLY thinking about trading it in on a C7 not long ago. I love my Q. I just dont have the confidence in it I always had in the G.

Very happy for you! Hope the issues have been worked out of the engine and turbos.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nearly identical story for my 2017 red sport AWD, except mine happened around 93k and I didn't get it back for four months because my extended warranty wanted to fight replacing the long block. My head gaskets were leaking coolant into the cylinders. The car broke down after they replaced the head gaskets, and engine teardown revealed massive overheat damage. I'm glad your failure squeaked in before the power train warranty went out. These stories are getting more and more frequent, especially for 2017 models.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have 40K on the Q and I was SERIOUSLY thinking about trading it in on a C7 not long ago. I love my Q. I just dont have the confidence in it I always had in the G.
I agree 100%. I expected to keep my Q60 for 8-10 years, but it started falling apart at five years and 90k miles:

90k: -brake booster internal vacuum leak
93k: -no cabin heat, flushed/serviced coolant
95k: -no cabin heat, head gasket internal coolant leak, engine overheat catastrophic failure, replaced engine long block
98k: -washer fluid low-level sensor fail
99k: -check-engine light, air/fuel sensor failure
-air conditioner hot air on driver side, replaced air mix door actuator
-lower touch screen internal debonding, replaced screen

I've been in line for a BMW i4 M50 since March, but probably won't get it until next March. I just passed 100k miles on the Q60 yesterday, but still have 25k remaining on my extended warranty (thankfully). There's no way I would keep this car without a warranty in place.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
There's no way I would keep this car without a warranty in place.
Yup! Transferable 7yr/100,000 Ext Platinum good until 2026 is the only reason its not already just a fond memory. ;)

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,325 Posts
Reactions: NINaudio

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil has arrived at Blackstone for analysis.

Reactions: Bevo

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,325 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These type stories definitely make me both happy and sad. Happy you're getting a new engine for sure. Very sad that this seems to happen to what is supposed to be a reliable premium car. One of the reasons I went with the 2017 Q60RS I have is because of how bullet proof my 2008 G37S was. Even after a major, and I mean MAJOR (should have been totaled) accident at 75K I still didnt has a single major mechanical problem right up to trade-in on the Q at 150K. I have 40K on the Q and I was SERIOUSLY thinking about trading it in on a C7 not long ago. I love my Q. I just dont have the confidence in it I always had in the G.

Very happy for you! Hope the issues have been worked out of the engine and turbos.
To be fair, my car was a rental for 44k miles before I got it. While I've done my best to maintain it since I got it, there's just no telling what kind of abuse it suffered before me. This is why I'm anxiously awaiting the results from this oil analysis. It will tell me if something happened in the last 3k miles that could have caused this, or if it was something from it's time before me.

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,325 Posts
To be fair, my car was a rental for 44k miles before I got it.
Good to know. There was one dude here that leased a Q60 which he heavily modified including removing most of the interior to save weight at the drag strip. Always felt sorry for the next unsuspecting owner.

Reactions: NINaudio

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know. There was one dude here that leased a Q60 which he heavily modified including removing most of the interior to save weight at the drag strip. Always felt sorry for the next unsuspecting owner.
Yeah, I remember that guy. I too feel bad for whoever got/gets that car after him.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,898 Posts
Yeah, I remember that guy. I too feel bad for whoever got/gets that car after him.
Hmm, well I don't drag race my Q, and it is heavily modded - just wonder what kinda of smack you all will talk about me when I post my Q for sale, because it will likely be sold "as-is", which will include a small PODS container with all the take-off hardware. LOL

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, well I don't drag race my Q, and it is heavily modded - just wonder what kinda of smack you all will talk about me when I post my Q for sale, because it will likely be sold "as-is", which will include a small PODS container with all the take-off hardware. LOL
You're different though. That guy didn't seem to give a crap about taking care of the car all that well from what I remember. When you do sell, let me know if you're taking that LSD off. I still want one. lol

Reactions: Bevo

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oil analysis results showed that coolant was present in the oil even though not seen by the naked eye. Wear metals were well within the normal range, so it seems the cylinder wall damage was pre me owning the car.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my car back last Friday. Now to drive like a grandma for 1200 miles.

Reactions: Starkmad83 and Bevo

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hope it goes well from now on. I have 12k miles on the new engine and it has been flawless. Dont freak out if you have to add a bit of coolant. It took mine a couple drives to stabilize.
I've added coolant once and it's been holding steady ever since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts