Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't posted here in a LONG time, but here's my sad story and a warning about keeping these cars long term:

I pre-ordered my 2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD and took delivery in December 2016. I followed the maintenance manual since then and all servicing was completed at an Infiniti dealer. My car is unmodified other than the OEM sport exhaust with resonators. It's my daily driver, mostly highway, and has never been raced or tracked. Last November at about 93k miles, I started getting cold air from the vents instead of heat whenever I came to a stop. I took it to the dealership, and they said it was low on coolant. They did a pressure test, and it passed. They then discovered coolant was internally leaking past the head gaskets into the cylinders. I have an extended warranty, and they wanted to try replacing the head gaskets first. After that was completed, the car broke down on the test drive. Disassembly showed complete internal failure due to overheat damage. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't want to get involved in a technical discussion about the failure. The bottom line is the long block had to be replaced. I just got the car back this month because it turned into an ugly fight with the warranty company. Gladly, I only had to pay my $100 deductible.

The frequent and major reported engine problems with the Q60 are inexcusable for a "premium" brand. My car only made it five years and 93k miles before a catastrophic failure. I would have been better off buying a Honda Accord and saving $20-30k. This most recent Q60 repair cost almost as much as my car is now worth. The Red Sport is an expensive vehicle. It should be high quality and reliable, but that has not been my experience. I've had to replace several axle seals, the water pump, the coolant pump housing, the brake booster, and the long block.

I've also had two terrible Titan XD trucks over the past few years. The 2016 had an electrical fault that was never fixed after multiple warranty repair attempts. The 2018 that replaced it had an oil pump failure 13 months after I bought it, which resulted in an engine replacement under warranty. Both were outside the mileage limit for the Texas lemon law, so Nissan refused to buy them back. I replaced the 2018 Titan with a 2019 Ram 1500 that's been problem-free. Regarding my Q60, Nissan corporate made it very clear to me they don't care that I've spent over $300k on new Nissan/Infiniti vehicles over the past 20 years, and they don't care if I ever buy one again. Replacing these three defective vehicles well before I planned to has been a financial curse. I will never purchase a Nissan product again.

I've decided to go electric. I ordered a BMW i4 M50 in March. My Q60 is at 95k miles now and has 30k left on its extended warranty. I hope nothing else goes wrong during the 8-10 months until my BMW arrives. I want Nissan and the Q60 out of my life forever.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goes from infiniti to bmw after complaining about reliability. yea you should have went with the honda.
Very useful comment. Regardless of any opinions about BMW, there's no excuse for the engine problems associated with the Q60. A $60k car that's properly maintained should last more than five years. Any modern engine should last the lifetime of a car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I haven't posted here in a LONG time, but here's my sad story and a warning about keeping these cars long term....

I wonder if any organization is monitoring in some way engines failures across all the major manufacturers? What happened to 1701-64D is inexcusable. I want to know how prevalent these kinds of massive failures are happening across Infiniti's VR30DDTT engine, as well as the entire industry. Ward's ranks the 10 best engines yearly and had the VR30DDTT DOHC Twin-turbo listed in there in 2018. But I wonder if they or others track them over the years???

·
Registered
495 Posts
I wonder if any organization is monitoring in some way engines failures across all the major manufacturers? What happened to 1701-64D is inexcusable. I want to know how prevalent these kinds of massive failures are happening across Infiniti's VR30DDTT engine, as well as the entire industry. Ward's ranks the 10 best engines yearly and had the VR30DDTT DOHC Twin-turbo listed in there in 2018. But I wonder if they or others track them over the years???

Reactions: 1701-64D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt it's tracked. New vehicles and new engines frequently get a lot of praise from the automotive media, but then they move on to the next new thing. For everyone's sake, I hope the engines in the later model year cars have fewer problems. Even though the Q60 is probably being cancelled, the same engine is in the new Nissan Z, and a lot more people will buy those. Just looking at the small sample size that's represented on this forum, there are way too many engine problems. Water pumps, disappearing coolant, blown turbo seals, blown head gaskets, porous blocks, etc.... There are probably enough failures to justify a class action lawsuit if someone wanted to invest the time to make it happen.

What really upset me was Nissan corporate's complete lack of ownership. Even though my car is beyond its manufacturer warranty, I expected them to get involved with the repair and show some interest in the failure. They did not care one bit. I'm lucky I had an extended warranty. Otherwise, I would've had to pay roughly $20k to fix a car worth $27k. No owner of a car that was purchased new and properly maintained should ever be put in that position. I fully understand no vehicle is perfect, and I wasn't really upset about having to use my warranty to replace my brake booster, for example. But a complete engine failure is just not within the realm of acceptable faults for a modern car. I owned three Maximas and a GTR before my three most recent Nissan vehicles, and they were all great. I put 115k miles on my '07 Maxima without an extended warranty, and the only thing I replaced was a $400 heater control unit. Nissan's quality and reliability used to be really good, but now that I've had two engine failures and other problems while owning a '16 Titan, '17 Q60, and '18 Titan, I'm done. I still think the Q60 has some of the best looking sheet metal available from any brand, and I've spent a lot to get mine where I want it cosmetically, but I'm getting rid of it before my extended warranty expires. I now have zero faith in the brand.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,769 Posts
Easy answer - LS1 swap.

LOL

On a more serious note, it is disappointing that Infiniti is not interested in working with the dealer to investigate your engine failure, especially since it's the basis for the 400Z, which will see a higher % of tracked instances. Quite shameful.

Reactions: 1701-64D
1 - 7 of 7 Posts