Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this isn’t good. Took the car on an 800 mile trip and the steering was wandering to the point it was scary to drive. Took it to the Infiniti dealer in the city I was visiting and they said they could find nothing wrong with the steering but there was a massive coolant leak. The Infiniti tech line had seen this before and apparently the only fix was a replacement engine. Car has been tied up for a month. Anybody else come across this ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Over the last 12 years I have owned several Nissan/Infiniti vehicles and this is my first time hearing of something like this. Where was it leaking? Did it overheat? Warped heads? cracked block? Sorry for all of the questions.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Over the last 12 years I have owned several Nissan/Infiniti vehicles and this is my first time hearing of something like this. Where was it leaking? Did it overheat? Warped heads? cracked block? Sorry for all of the questions.
Yea, after 3 of my past cars G35, Q60 '14 and now Q60 '17 .I never had or heard of anything like this. I have heard of the "galley gasket" problem , but thats only in the last month I heard of it. Plus there are many modded Q60 ,and never heard of one engine going on them.
What did the dealer tell you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only said a massive coolant leak and a replacement engine was the only solution. I had complained of an antifreeze smell before but was told there was nothing wrong. Engine never got hot or gave any indication of low coolant but apparently there are two separate systems. All work done under warranty but disconcerting to say the least.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Good luck with all of this. The diagnosis information will be on your paperwork. Please share when received.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I certainly will. Sad fact is the car is still 800 miles away and I’m driving a rental. I’ll post the results when I recieve them.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts
I certainly will. Sad fact is the car is still 800 miles away and I’m driving a rental. I’ll post the results when I recieve them.

Thanks
I don't remember anyone else posting of an engine replacement. Where are you located?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada and the car is currently in Edmonton Alberta. Could someone explain what in fact is the galley gasket ?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts
I live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada and the car is currently in Edmonton Alberta. Could someone explain what in fact is the galley gasket ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. Wouldn’t be applicable to the 3.0 litre I imagine. I’ll be getting more details tomorrow and shall post the results.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts
Thank you. Wouldn’t be applicable to the 3.0 litre I imagine. I’ll be getting more details tomorrow and shall post the results.
Well if you watch the video, and if they're in similar locations on both engines, you could see why Infiniti would just go ahead and replace the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair enough. I only asked about it because it was mentioned earlier. I’m newish to Infiniti so please bare with me.

Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
i havent heard of any stock engines blowing. Most of the blown engines ive heard of are from bad tuning or user incompedence or both.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Engine wasn’t blown in fact showed no sign of a problem. Apparently the coolant was evaporating and therefore left no telltale sign on the ground.

I’ll post the work order once I recieve it.

I’ll post the

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts
Ended up getting car shipped back. Time will tell how the repair holds up.
What do you mean shipped? Was it delivered to your home?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had it shipped from Edmonton back to Winnipeg as I couldn’t spare the time to go there and pick it up. It’s about 14 hours away. I had to cover the cost.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts
I had it shipped from Edmonton back to Winnipeg as I couldn’t spare the time to go there and pick it up. It’s about 14 hours away. I had to cover the cost.
wow

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ended up getting car shipped back. Time will tell how the repair holds up.
So basically a new long block + assembly. The WO shows 36,xxx. kms, right? So just over 22k miles.

On the bright side, you get to perform the break-in of the new engine (again, if you got when new).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts