Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dynamic sunstone red Q60RS AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started hearing a sort of groaning/whining noise pretty noticeable at idle and low rpms on my 2018 q60 rs. You can hear it with hood down and it sounds like a water pump/alternator whine. I've listened to other q50/60s and either I don't hear the sound at all or I am going crazy and this is just how the VR's sound.

The car has 78000 kms on it, recently changed the drive belt due to a squeaking. I'm the second owner and as far as I know, no big ticket items have been replaced in the engine bay so far. I took the car to the dealer when I had the belt changed and they did not mention any strange noises, either they did not care to listen or brushed it off.

Car is still covered under powertrain warranty, I'd really appreciate it if you could all narrow it down as to what it could be. It really bothers me and it reminds me of my dad's 20 year old Honda with the power steering going out. Video is attached below.

whine from engine bay

Thanks

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,208 Posts
1. I'm not hearing a whine
2. How long have you owned the car and is this a new sound?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the video it’s not really like a whine, it’s more of a groaning/whirring sound. Aside from the injector/lifter ticks, There is a constant sound changing with the rpms. The sound is comparable to this video.

I’ve had the car for 2 months. I feel like this sound has been here ever since I got it.

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,208 Posts
I’ve had the car for 2 months. I feel like this sound has been here ever since I got it.
Did you tell the dealership about the noise when it was in for service?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, because there were noises coming from the belt originally and they recommended to change it. The squeak was gone, but this groaning noise stayed. Which makes me to believe either the water pump/alternator or one of the pulleys is the culprit.

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,208 Posts
The squeak was gone, but this groaning noise stayed. Which makes me to believe either the water pump/alternator or one of the pulleys is the culprit.
Take it back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts