Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it seems that with their announcement today, Fast Intentions is the first to have an exhaust for the new Q60. I'm sure Stillen, Z1, and others will not be far behind, as clearly the stock tone is so incredibly underwhelming.

While HP and torque gains are great, I'm really just looking to improve on the exhaust note, as I'm pretty happy with the 400 horses. But, if I'm going to drive a 400hp vehicle, I want it to sound like 400hp. So here's my question: what is the most cost effective way to increase volume and deepen tone? There seemed to be a few axle-backs that were effective with the G37, including the Infiniti sport exhaust (Stillen), so I was hoping to go that way. But if you go to the Fast Intentions site, and watch the demo they have posted, there is clearly an increase in both tone and volume with the Cat-back, but when you then add the down pipes as well it is MUCH more noticeable. Very deep and throaty. Can you just add the down pipes and get results?

So, while there may not be an absolute answer, what is the best and most cost effective way to get a deeper, slightly louder tone? Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have you guys explored the spacers option that Q50 owners have done on their exhausts? I have heard a stock Q50 before and after with spacer mod to their exhaust, and the difference in exhaust sound is really noticeable. Supposedly really cheap to do as well

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you guys explored the spacers option that Q50 owners have done on their exhausts? I have heard a stock Q50 before and after with spacer mod to their exhaust, and the difference in exhaust sound is really noticeable. Supposedly really cheap to do as well
I'm an exhaust novice, so I'm not even really sure what you're speaking of.....

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
We need to organize a Group Buy at Fast Intentions... both the DPs and the Cat-Back Exhuast.

fastintentions.com/product_info.php/cPath/41_50_174_175/

Reactions: Morpheus

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can definitely just change out that downpipe and you'll get a better sound out of it along with better flow as downpipes are usually very restrictive. It will be cheaper than a cat-back as well. If you want super economical, go to an exhaust shop, chop off every resonator/cat/muffler you see and replace them with pipes lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know this may be a silly question but what types of mods to this new q60 would void the warranty? Would this exhaust + downpipe combo void it? If not, what would? Curious to see what can be done to this beast without voiding the warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Qx4: I'm posting from my phone so I can't quote text right now. If you want to see a picture of what I'm talking about when I refer to the "spacer mod" here you go (this is from a Q50) http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=42465&d=1453844255
It's basically paying $14 for washers that add a "space" resulting in a much throatier sound. Easy to remove and put back to stock if/when necessary. Might lose 1 hp though but meh...this is the cheapest way to get some more sound from the exhaust note

·
Registered
500 Posts
Maybe we can throw on some long tube headers onto the Q60 with a full exhaust system, dont long tube headers help in providing a more exotic sound?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Maybe we can throw on some long tube headers onto the Q60 with a full exhaust system, dont long tube headers help in providing a more exotic sound?
Can't... the exhaust manifolds are integrated with the heads.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I know this may be a silly question but what types of mods to this new q60 would void the warranty? Would this exhaust + downpipe combo void it? If not, what would? Curious to see what can be done to this beast without voiding the warranty. Thanks.
Adding the aftermarket DPs and Cat-back do not void the warranty. Included in the protections for reasonable use in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the right for consumers to have the vehicle serviced at a business of their choice and the option to use aftermarket parts, meaning potentially money-saving alternatives to those that came on the car, while retaining the original warranty. The automaker is not allowed to void a warranty just because a nonfactory part is used.

If you had an engine issue while under the powertrain warranty, the dealer has to prove the use of the aftermarket exhaust is a direct correlation to the warranty issue. So the onus is on the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Adding the aftermarket DPs and Cat-back do not void the warranty. Included in the protections for reasonable use in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the right for consumers to have the vehicle serviced at a business of their choice and the option to use aftermarket parts, meaning potentially money-saving alternatives to those that came on the car, while retaining the original warranty. The automaker is not allowed to void a warranty just because a nonfactory part is used.

If you had an engine issue while under the powertrain warranty, the dealer has to prove the use of the aftermarket exhaust is a direct correlation to the warranty issue. So the onus is on the dealer.
Honestly, you're right but I wouldn't ever hang on to Magnuson-Moss and expect it to work. Dealerships and OEMs are complicated beasts and 9 times out of 10, it comes down to how good a dealership you have and if they are willing to go to bat for you with the OEM. Proving something failed because it was modified is often times difficult and time consuming and the OEMs and dealerships have many more attorneys to fall back on if they want to screw you over. It's kind of a slippery slope; someone could argue that you had more power to the wheels because of a simple catback and therefore the drivetrain failed prematurely or that the aftermarket SRI or CAI you installed caused too much oil or water to coalesce onto the MAF causing issues with the AF ratio which grenaded your engine. Remember that Nissan was voiding transmission warranties on 2009 GTRs just because of overuse of launch control (not saying they weren't justified for it or that the folks who overused it were to blame). Also, if I remember correctly, the 7AT has a 350 lb ft upper torque limit so modifications that affect the total torque output might in themselves cost you your drivetrain warranty.

TL;DR - you can use Magnuson-Moss but your mileage will vary and you may end up stuck in a car you've modified with no warranty just because you rubbed someone the wrong way or they wanted to be a-holes. Some folks with modified cars will get lucky, some will be left high and dry and hate Infiniti for it.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Honestly, you're right but I wouldn't ever hang on to Magnuson-Moss and expect it to work. Dealerships and OEMs are complicated beasts and 9 times out of 10, it comes down to how good a dealership you have and if they are willing to go to bat for you with the OEM. Proving something failed because it was modified is often times difficult and time consuming and the OEMs and dealerships have many more attorneys to fall back on if they want to screw you over. It's kind of a slippery slope; someone could argue that you had more power to the wheels because of a simple catback and therefore the drivetrain failed prematurely or that the aftermarket SRI or CAI you installed caused too much oil or water to coalesce onto the MAF causing issues with the AF ratio which grenaded your engine. Remember that Nissan was voiding transmission warranties on 2009 GTRs just because of overuse of launch control (not saying they weren't justified for it or that the folks who overused it were to blame). Also, if I remember correctly, the 7AT has a 350 lb ft upper torque limit so modifications that affect the total torque output might in themselves cost you your drivetrain warranty.

TL;DR - you can use Magnuson-Moss but your mileage will vary and you may end up stuck in a car you've modified with no warranty just because you rubbed someone the wrong way or they wanted to be a-holes. Some folks with modified cars will get lucky, some will be left high and dry and hate Infiniti for it.
The biggest point here is that the dealership/manufacturer HAS to PROVE that a modification caused the failure in order to deny or void a warranty in a court of law which will likely cost them more money in legal fees rather than just paying for a repair. Testrage is right tho that a dealership will try to strong arm you most times, so just keep that in mind and play ball. You'd be amazed how a dealership's tone changes after you say things like "I need check on this with my attorney.."

Also Nissan got sued for that 2009 GTR transmission warranty issue and settled it with upgrading all GTR's with LC1 launch control systems to to LC2 and resetting warranties for said GTR's to 5 years/60k.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
The biggest point here is that the dealership/manufacturer HAS to PROVE that a modification caused the failure in order to deny or void a warranty in a court of law which will likely cost them more money in legal fees rather than just paying for a repair. Testrage is right tho that a dealership will try to strong arm you most times, so just keep that in mind and play ball. You'd be amazed how a dealership's tone changes after you say things like "I need check on this with my attorney.."

Also Nissan got sued for that 2009 GTR transmission warranty issue and settled it with upgrading all GTR's with LC1 launch control systems to to LC2 and resetting warranties for said GTR's to 5 years/60k.
Not really. If you file a lawsuit, you have the burden of proof.

If enough owners have the same issue then a lawyer can file a class action lawsuit that anyone, with that same issue, can join.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
So, it seems that with their announcement today, Fast Intentions is the first to have an exhaust for the new Q60. I'm sure Stillen, Z1, and others will not be far behind, as clearly the stock tone is so incredibly underwhelming.

While HP and torque gains are great, I'm really just looking to improve on the exhaust note, as I'm pretty happy with the 400 horses. But, if I'm going to drive a 400hp vehicle, I want it to sound like 400hp. So here's my question: what is the most cost effective way to increase volume and deepen tone? There seemed to be a few axle-backs that were effective with the G37, including the Infiniti sport exhaust (Stillen), so I was hoping to go that way. But if you go to the Fast Intentions site, and watch the demo they have posted, there is clearly an increase in both tone and volume with the Cat-back, but when you then add the down pipes as well it is MUCH more noticeable. Very deep and throaty. Can you just add the down pipes and get results?

So, while there may not be an absolute answer, what is the best and most cost effective way to get a deeper, slightly louder tone? Any input is greatly appreciated.
My salesman introduced me to the service manager who mentioned something about a high performance intake/exhaust kit coming soon from Infiniti.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Not really. If you file a lawsuit, you have the burden of proof.

If enough owners have the same issue then a lawyer can file a class action lawsuit that anyone, with that same issue, can join.
You have a point, but one's proof would be their lack of proof that an aftermarket part caused a defect of a warranted part and thus they voided said warranty. So said lawsuit wouldn't be about a dealer failing to honor a warranty, but rather that they failed to comply with the federal law that requires them to prove that an aftermarket part caused said defect in ordered to deny warranty claim. It presents an interesting scenario I will admit. It's the consumer's legal right to demand compliance with a warranty if the dealer cannot prove its claim of voided warranty. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack a thread I'm shutting up now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
You have a point, but one's proof would be their lack of proof that an aftermarket part caused a defect of a warranted part and thus they voided said warranty. So said lawsuit wouldn't be about a dealer failing to honor a warranty, but rather that they failed to comply with the federal law that requires them to prove that an aftermarket part caused said defect in ordered to deny warranty claim. It presents an interesting scenario I will admit. It's the consumer's legal right to demand compliance with a warranty if the dealer cannot prove its claim of voided warranty. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack a thread I'm shutting up now.
The plaintiff always has the burden of proof. If the car has a defect, you'd need expert testimony of what the defect is, then Infinity would have to defend by showing that the aftermarket part caused an issue. Until you meet your burden, Infinity wouldn't even need to take the stand.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts