Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Infiniti axle-back sport exhaust (B0100-Q60S2) on my '17 q60 3.0. I was underwhelmed with the change in sound. It's nice, just a bit quiet for me. Any suggestions to increase the sound?

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
I just installed the Infiniti axle-back sport exhaust (B0100-Q60S2) on my '17 q60 3.0. I was underwhelmed with the change in sound. It's nice, just a bit quiet for me. Any suggestions to increase the sound?
Instead of this:

Get this:

Reactions: Cam Z

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this be the more logical solution than changing out LDPs, mid pipes, or y-pipes? I'm still pretty green to this-- just been watching a lot of youtube videos.

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Would this be the more logical solution than changing out LDPs, mid pipes, or y-pipes? I'm still pretty green to this-- just been watching a lot of youtube videos.
Deleting the muffler is the easiest way to gain volume. I have the Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit (straight pipes) on my Red Sport. Now, it's a pretty aggressive sound especially for the first 25 seconds of a cold start.

If you want to keep the Helmholtz axle-back then you'd probably need to delete the cats for more exhaust volume.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deleting the muffler is the easiest way to gain volume. I have the Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit (straight pipes) on my Red Sport. Now, it's a pretty aggressive sound especially for the first 25 seconds of a cold start.

If you want to keep the Helmholtz axle-back then you'd probably need to delete the cats for more exhaust volume.
Really appreciate your feedback Bevo.

I guess I just read so many negative comments about muffler deletes, that I assumed the helmholtz was the better option. So I guess now I'm between either the muffler delete, or just going for a cat back. Boost in Motion suggested that I get the CBE.

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
Really appreciate your feedback Bevo.

I guess I just read so many negative comments about muffler deletes, that I assumed the helmholtz was the better option. So I guess now I'm between either the muffler delete, or just going for a cat back. Boost in Motion suggested that I get the CBE.
Everyone has their own taste as far a exhaust sound and volume. Some love the muffler delete, some prefer the Helmholtz. Either way the turbos and the cats muffle exhaust sound so that's why you can get away with deleting the muffler.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I personally would stick with the Helmholtz and remove the secondary cats with lower downpipes and/or replace the y-pipe/mid-pipe combo. The difference in volume between the Helmholtz and straight pipe axle-back is pretty minimal. The resonators on the Helmholtz design reduce resonance (that leads to "drone"), they barely reduce audible volume.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally would stick with the Helmholtz and remove the secondary cats with lower downpipes and/or replace the y-pipe/mid-pipe combo. The difference in volume between the Helmholtz and straight pipe axle-back is pretty minimal. The resonators on the Helmholtz design reduce resonance (that leads to "drone"), they barely reduce audible volume.
Ok cool. So you think getting LDPs would be the best way to increase sound if I decided to keep the helmholtz?

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
The difference in volume between the Helmholtz and straight pipe axle-back is pretty minimal. The resonators on the Helmholtz design reduce resonance (that leads to "drone"), they barely reduce audible volume.
Hmmmm, some folks that initially got the straight pipe kit and complained it was too loud, were much happier when they exchanged it for the Helmholtz. I remember them reporting it was a good compromise between OEM and straight pipes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hmmmm, some folks that initially got the straight pipe kit and complained it was too loud, were much happier when they exchanged it for the Helmholtz. I remember them reporting it was a good compromise between OEM and straight pipes.
I do not disagree; some volume is lost due to the Helmholtz design, but I found it to be very minimal compared to say lower downpipes or y-pipe/mid-pipe combo.

Since they already have the axle-back, I think the money would be better spent replacing the lower downpipes to get an improvement in sound volume than buying a more expensive axle-back to replace the upgraded axle-back they already have.

Ok cool. So you think getting LDPs would be the best way to increase sound if I decided to keep the helmholtz?
Yes. Incidentally, that was also the order I went in: Helmholtz axle-back -> lower downpipe -> y-pipe/mid-pipe combo. I found the catless lower downpipes satisfied my desire for a louder exhaust for a few months until I again got used to the new sound then needed to go a step further. (I have found I will never love the sound of this vehicle--the tiny turbos and efficient idle result in a very, very quiet car when idling or low-speed cruising, and that is my only complaint with how my vehicle sounds.)

·
Super Moderator
2,894 Posts
(I have found I will never love the sound of this vehicle--the tiny turbos and efficient idle result in a very, very quiet car when idling or low-speed cruising, and that is my only complaint with how my vehicle sounds.)
Straight pipes on a RS are not quiet at idle or especially at low speed cruising. However, cruising at highway speeds you can't hear the exhaust over the road noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not disagree; some volume is lost due to the Helmholtz design, but I found it to be very minimal compared to say lower downpipes or y-pipe/mid-pipe combo.

Since they already have the axle-back, I think the money would be better spent replacing the lower downpipes to get an improvement in sound volume than buying a more expensive axle-back to replace the upgraded axle-back they already have.

Yes. Incidentally, that was also the order I went in: Helmholtz axle-back -> lower downpipe -> y-pipe/mid-pipe combo. I found the catless lower downpipes satisfied my desire for a louder exhaust for a few months until I again got used to the new sound then needed to go a step further. (I have found I will never love the sound of this vehicle--the tiny turbos and efficient idle result in a very, very quiet car when idling or low-speed cruising, and that is my only complaint with how my vehicle sounds.)
i just ordered AMS ldp’s. If I’m still not satisfied, would you recommend selling the helmholtz and getting a cat back? Or would replacing the mid and y pipes basically be the same thing?

·
Registered
219 Posts
i just ordered AMS ldp’s. If I’m still not satisfied, would you recommend selling the helmholtz and getting a cat back? Or would replacing the mid and y pipes basically be the same thing?
If you're not satisfied after the lower downpipes, I would recommend ditching the axle-back and going with a full cat-back exhaust setup; it will be less money and not a pieced together setup (coming from someone running a pieced together setup, but that is another story).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're not satisfied after the lower downpipes, I would recommend ditching the axle-back and going with a full cat-back exhaust setup; it will be less money and not a pieced together setup (coming from someone running a pieced together setup, but that is another story).
Perfect. I think that’s my plan. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
839 Posts
Perfect. I think that’s my plan. Thanks for the feedback
As long as you can wait 6-8 weeks, just go buy Fast Intentions LDPs and CBE and be done with it.

I have FI Full (Catted) DPs and resonated CBE w/14" touring mufflers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 Q60 RS AWD, All I have done is AFE drop in filters and a HKS Legamax CBE. I have not done anything else and sounds amazing. I did have the Tanabe Medalion Touring Axle back, but it was too quiet. Pretty happy with the sound and looks. GL in your search for the perfect sound lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2019 Q60 RS AWD, All I have done is AFE drop in filters and a HKS Legamax CBE. I have not done anything else and sounds amazing. I did have the Tanabe Medalion Touring Axle back, but it was too quiet. Pretty happy with the sound and looks. GL in your search for the perfect sound lol
Thanks for the input. My plan is to put in the lower down pipes when they arrive, and then switch from axleback to catback if I’m still not satisfied.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you make use of the caps at all? I was looking at FI catback. HKS seems pretty cool thought. Doesnt seem to be as long of a wait either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you make use of the caps at all? I was looking at FI catback. HKS seems pretty cool thought. Doesnt seem to be as long of a wait either.
Yea I used the down pipe option. I know there are youtube clips of this and there is a definite sound difference. I know that @staying_tuned has a couple videos of caps on and off.

Here is a link to Staying tuned of his HKS...He is much more modded then I am but you can hear the difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts