Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will the downpipes from fast intentions ever be for sale in california?
Trying to add them to see if it will get rid of the slight jerk from the stillen intake at low rpms when letting off the throttle.
If these downpipes from FI are not accessible in california im prob gonna take another route

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
will the downpipes from fast intentions ever be for sale in california?
Trying to add them to see if it will get rid of the slight jerk from the stillen intake at low rpms when letting off the throttle.
If these downpipes from FI are not accessible in california im prob gonna take another route
The FI downpipes (DPs) will never be "on-road" compliant, as they replace the secondary cats, and are "for off-road use only". Even though removing the secondary cats will not affect a warmed-up car's emissions or readiness, as they are for cold start emissions only, the DPs would obviously fail the visual test in CA.

If you want the same effect of the straight downpipes, I have seen folks gut the secondary cats to get the same effect as the straight downpipes.

For a good explanation on gutting the cat (on an Audi, but the rationale applies to the Q60), see this note from JHMotorsports regarding "piggie" DPs:

https://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/exhaust-downpipes-jhm-b7-rs4-piggies-p-566.html

Reactions: whiteq60awd

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd consider selling my fast intentions downpipes that should arrive in a week or two as I recently got sent a notice that they were built. May hold off and wait till AMS releases all of their stuff and buy them.

If you want them, just sent me a pm :).

Reactions: whiteq60awd

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd consider selling my fast intentions downpipes that should arrive in a week or two as I recently got sent a notice that they were built. May hold off and wait till AMS releases all of their stuff and buy them.

If you want them, just sent me a pm :).
Will do! Thanks a lot man :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was told by what I consider to be a reputable source that these FI down pipes can cause burning of oil by the turbo chargers for some of these VR30 engines. Thus, you have to check your oil levels more frequently due to this possible problem and this is why adding DP can void the manufacturer warranty.

Any opinions or comments on this?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I was told by what I consider to be a reputable source that these FI down pipes can cause burning of oil by the turbo chargers for some of these VR30 engines. Thus, you have to check your oil levels more frequently due to this possible problem and this is why adding DP can void the manufacturer warranty.

Any opinions or comments on this?
I've been running the FI DPs and Cat-back for 5k+ miles and my oil levels have remained unchanged (i.e., never had to add "make-up" oil), and I've had Blackstone oil analysis performed on the oil @ 1k & 5k intervals. Nothing unusual noted in either analysis result, including oil viscosity staying in the range of 0W20 oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been running the FI DPs and Cat-back for 5k+ miles and my oil levels have remained unchanged (i.e., never had to add "make-up" oil), and I've had Blackstone oil analysis performed on the oil @ 1k & 5k intervals. Nothing unusual noted in either analysis result, including oil viscosity staying in the range of 0W20 oil.
What about the improvements? Have you noticed an improvement in your acceleration/HP?
Same individual told me that my custom ecutek tune would overlap any improvement in CBE/DP and I wouldn't notice any significant gains.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
What about the improvements? Have you noticed an improvement in your acceleration/HP?
Same individual told me that my custom ecutek tune would overlap any improvement in CBE/DP and I wouldn't notice any significant gains.
I'm running 92 octane here in WA state. This FI setup definitely has improved mid-range torque, which really helps acceleration in 2nd & 3rd gear. You can hear these little turbos spool nicely with the DPs.

As for the EcuTek tune, here what Sebastian (from Specialty Z), who is a highly-regarded EcuTek tuner, mentioned in an email to me regarding my configuration, which is basically stock except for the FI DPs & CBE:

As far as the tune goes out off the shelf option is tailored to your modifications and fuel/octane. We can achieve great results with the etune and even if you solely select the base off the shelf tune I have you send me logs to verify all is in proper order. Data logging is pretty straightforward. Take a look at this link:

EcuTek |

Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: zenboy444

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm running 92 octane here in WA state. This FI setup definitely has improved mid-range torque, which really helps acceleration in 2nd & 3rd gear. You can hear these little turbos spool nicely with the DPs.

As for the EcuTek tune, here what Sebastian (from Specialty Z), who is a highly-regarded EcuTek tuner, mentioned in an email to me regarding my configuration, which is basically stock except for the FI DPs & CBE:

As far as the tune goes out off the shelf option is tailored to your modifications and fuel/octane. We can achieve great results with the etune and even if you solely select the base off the shelf tune I have you send me logs to verify all is in proper order. Data logging is pretty straightforward. Take a look at this link:

EcuTek |

Let me know if you have any questions!
So you mentioned that you had improvements in torque/acceleration in mid-range gears. Do you think I could achieve this with just the DP alone, or do I also need to get the CBE as well?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
So you mentioned that you had improvements in torque/acceleration in mid-range gears. Do you think I could achieve this with just the DP alone, or do I also need to get the CBE as well?
The DPs represent the majority of the hp & torque gains. The 10-12 hp from the CBEs is a nice bonus in addition tochange in the exhaust note, but bang-for-the-buck, the $399 DPs give you the highest hp/dollar. The DPs should also change the exhaust tone, due to less restriction, however, I do not have an experience with running the DPs only, as I installed both the DPs & CBE at the same time.

Reactions: zenboy444

·
Registered
42 Posts
The DPs represent the majority of the hp & torque gains. The 10-12 hp from the CBEs is a nice bonus in addition tochange in the exhaust note, but bang-for-the-buck, the $399 DPs give you the highest hp/dollar. The DPs should also change the exhaust tone, due to less restriction, however, I do not have an experience with running the DPs only, as I installed both the DPs & CBE at the same time.
Does running the FI DP set off a CEL? I assume the JB4 in your sig handles this, or is there another method of shutting these off?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Does running the FI DP set off a CEL? I assume the JB4 in your sig handles this, or is there another method of shutting these off?
No CELs even before the JB1 or JB4.

I went from stock, to DPs & CBE (which I ran for ~ 5k miles), added JB1, and now running JB4.

Note: I have not touched the intakes and don't plan to.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I went from stock, to DPs & CBE (which I ran for ~ 5k miles), added JB1, and now running JB4.

Smart move on the intakes. I got burned on the Stillen with the tranny problems (mostly a problem for the Red Sport). Seems like many people are having problems with the AEM intakes and frequent unresolvable engine error codes, etc.

BT is about to release their take on the intake (no pun intended ;) )

Maybe they will get it right. I will probably wait it out for at least a few months before I consider it. Already learned my lesson the hard way playing guinea pig.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Interesting, this car doesn't throw a cel when removing the cats. How long did it take to install the FI DP's?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Interesting, this car doesn't throw a cel when removing the cats. How long did it take to install the FI DP's?
Remember, this car has primary & secondary cats. The secondary cats are only there for cold-start emissions, otherwise, they are along for the ride after the primary cats "light-off"/warm-up. At that point, the ECM goes from "open-loop" to "closed-loop", with the primary O2 sensors being monitored by the ECM. The DPs replace the secondary cats.

As for installation time - plan an afternoon, and having a drive-on ramp (in my case) or a lift obviously makes things alot easier.

Notes:

The head-end of the DPs are attached with two studs/nuts on the driver's side, and three studs/nuts on the passenger side. One stud is removed from each side from the engine compartment, the others are removed from below. When loosening the studs from the top, it's critical to use an elbow to ensure the deep-well socket fully-engages the nut. I almost rounded-off the driver's side nut because it was not fully-engaged (due to the angle). Oh, and removing the stud seems like an eternity, but eventually the top nut AND the stud come out together, at least in my case.

Disconnecting the rear O2 sensors plug can be a challenge on the passenger side, because you need to reach up between the converter and the transmission, using one hand to squeeze the tab and separate the connectors.

FI may now include a gasket for the three-bolt flange on the passenger side, but when I ordered it last year, I needed to use silicone O2 sensor safe sealant for that joint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Remember, this car has primary & secondary cats. The secondary cats are only there for cold-start emissions, otherwise, they are along for the ride after the primary cats "light-off"/warm-up. The DPs replace the secondary cats.

As for installation time - plan an afternoon.

Notes:

The head-end of the DPs are attached with two studs/nuts on the driver's side, and three studs/nuts on the passenger side. One stud is removed from each side from the engine compartment, the others are removed from below. When loosening the studs from the top, it's critical to use an elbow to ensure the deep-well socket fully-engages the nut. I almost rounded-off the driver's side nut because it was not fully-engaged (due to the angle). Oh, and removing the stud seems like an eternity, but eventually the top nut AND the stud come out together, at least in my case.

Disconnecting the rear O2 sensors plug can be a challenge on the passenger side, because you need to reach up between the converter and the transmission, using one hand to squeeze the tab and separate the connectors.

FI may now include a gasket for the three-bolt flange on the passenger side, but when I ordered it last year, I needed to use silicon O2 sensor safe sealant for that joint.
Thanks for the nice pointers on install. I just ordered their DP yesterday. As of yesterday, they still don't have the gaskets. He mentioned that it was still in development and was a few months away. I will have to do what you did, which is high temperature RTV RED silicone gasket maker.

There are a few more companies that are starting to do these down pipes now. Interestingly, they are all priced at $400 plus shipping. One of them, Z1 motorsports, will sell you the gaskets for $45.00 extra.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Z1 wants nearly $800

·
Registered
66 Posts
Z1 wants nearly $800
Yes you are right, for some reason I had looked at their web site and I thought they had dropped the price but I guess I was wrong.

There is also the aam one which is $569.

Not sure why anyone would want to pay more money for the same thing. Its just a steel 2.5" pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
looks like the Z1 downpipe replaces the upper and lower downpipes as an all in one 'race pipe'
Correct - it replaces both cats, and you'll have a smelly exhaust to boot...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts