Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Red Sport 400 w/ Fast Intentions lower downpipes and non-resonated cat-back exhaust.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cold start.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Had it installed on Friday afternoon, and finally had a chance to take it for a proper drive today.
I'm pretty pleased with it. It's fairly loud, but with a nice deep tone. If I don't get on it hard when starting in traffic or at lights, it's not obnoxious at all. Deep and subtle. Smooth, low tone when cruising at 1,500-2,000 rpm, with what I feel is minimal drone. The drone is there, of course, but expected considering the mod and the fact that I went non-res. I really don't mind. If I DO get on it with a quick burst in traffic, heads snap, lol. It's defiantly not the loudest, which I'm happy about, but it will certainly be heard. I think I'll find myself driving in Standard mode when in town. Something I never do, as I'm in Sport always. But keeping the rpms down a bit, and the quicker shifts, may be just right. We'll see. As for the gains.... they're defiantly there. 0-80mph seems much quicker. A new speed shop, with an AWD dyno, opened about a year ago an hour or so from me. I'm going to give them a call this week. I'm very interested in knowing what the car is putting to the wheels.
Defiantly not for the majority of the guys on this page, who seem mostly to be looking to keep it clean, low-key, and classy. For now. In 3 years, when all the guys with G's have traded-up, my car will seem tame on this page, lol

Reactions: F.I. INC.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Thanks for posting. Let us know if it effects gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think I'll find myself driving in Standard mode when in town. Something I never do, as I'm in Sport always. But keeping the rpms down a bit, and the quicker shifts, may be just right. We'll see. As for the gains.... they're defiantly there. 0-80mph seems much quicker.
I've also been driving in Standard mode when around town - keeps the rpms down, but also it doesn't rev match when downshifting (Sport mode), which I really don't need if I'm not getting on it.

The 0-60 is definitely quicker with the FI DPs and Cat-back. I'm sure the ECM will fine tune the fuel trims over the next 50-100 miles, which may net even more gains.

I did some accel runs today to 60 mph in Standard, Sport, and Sport+ (in the rain, BTW). From a seat of the pants, using about 3/4 throttle from the start, in/with Sport mode shifting at 5k rpm (right around the torque peak), seems to be the quickest. Using 3/4 throttle vs mashing the throttle at the start appears to net faster spool up.

Overall, I'm pleased with the sound and performance gains of the FI DPs & Cat-back.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I've also been driving in Standard mode when around town - keeps the rpms down, but also it doesn't rev match when downshifting (Sport mode), which I really don't need if I'm not getting on it.
Really? My RWD feels like it rev matches in any mode. Even in ECO mode if I'm braking and downshifting when going from 60-0, when I hit second there's a momentary acceleration.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Really? My RWD feels like it rev matches in any mode. Even in ECO mode if I'm braking and downshifting when going from 60-0, when I hit second there's a momentary acceleration.
Now that the exhaust has some "bark", it becomes very obvious when the rev-match occurs. While it is obvious in Sport & Sport+ modes, I can't say I've heard the rev-match in other modes.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
For those with the downpipes, do you get a strong smell of fuel without the cats?

No, because the system still utilizes the primary cats. The DPs replace the secondary cats, which are specifically for meeting cold start emissions. Once the primaries warm up, i.e., "light off", which is pretty fast, the secondary cats are along for the ride, per se.

I've had my DPs installed for the last three days, and with over 100 miles of seat time, no check engine messages, which is expected, because the system still meets its Readiness requirements, which is what emission stations look for when they tap into the OBD-II connection. In addition, Infiniti just sent me a automated message regarding the car's health, and it was all green :D

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
No, because the system still utilizes the primary cats. The DPs replace the secondary cats, which are specifically for meeting cold start emissions. Once the primaries warm up, i.e., "light off", which is pretty fast, the secondary cats are along for the ride, per se.

I've had my DPs installed for the last three days, and with over 100 miles of seat time, no check engine messages, which is expected, because the system still meets its Readiness requirements, which is what emission stations look for when they tap into the OBD-II connection. In addition, Infiniti just sent me a automated message regarding the car's health, and it was all green :D
Thanks, keep us posted on any negative side effects or any difference in gas mileage either way.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does it "blurble or backfire" during downshifts or letting off the throttle at higher RPMs?

I love how the M and AMG vehicles do it so I'm curious if the Q will as well.

Sounds great nonetheless

Reactions: Qx4Cor

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Does it "blurble or backfire" during downshifts or letting off the throttle at higher RPMs?
It has the "burble" sound when it rev-matches and when letting off at higher revs.

Reactions: Broxx

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds nice and deep, a little bit of raspiness but that's what I love!
Put about 100 miles on mine as well over the holiday weekend, and I love it. Super deep tone with just a hint of rasp, and nice "blurble" on the rev-matching/down shifts, although haven't had an actual backfire yet.

As for any gas mileage input, I won't be much help. My work commute is less than 1 mile daily round trip, and has been for 20yrs. I've never been too concerned with mpg.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As a Californian who can't get downpipes...I hate this thread. :D

Seriously though, I love the sound of these FIs...just so, so beastly. I'd love to get just the catback but with very minimal gains without DPs, $1,400 after taxes for the catback doesn't make sense... :/

Looks like i'll be forced to just get the NISMO sport exhaust (should be at about $480 after Infiniti estore coupon) when it's released for the Q60s just for the exhaust note improvement...sure as heck will be jealous of ya'll and your sweet HP gains with this FI setup though!! :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Bang-for-the-buck, the DPs provide the most performance gains. The FI Cat-back is well-thought out, as it uses an X-pipe, but it is the elimination of the 2nd cat that provides the real RWHP gains.

So if you want the performance and sound "on-the-cheap", and you're not in CA (sorry Jayce), then installing the DPs and the Nismo pipes may be a cost-effective solution.

Incidentally, fleabay has a listing for Autosports Engineering <who I've never heard of...> DPs for the Q60, too:

Autosports Engineering ASE Infiniti Q50 Q60 Turbo Downpipe 3.0T Redsport | eBay

Reactions: Jayce
1 - 20 of 48 Posts