Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on getting the Fast intentions catback + downpipes. Pretty set on the sound/performance gains but just wanted some feedback and different perspectives on exhausts.
How are Borla exhausts? They also have it in stock for the 2017 q60 so i was stuck debating which one to try out. There havent been any videos on the borla exhaust yet on the '17 q60 red sport

·
Super Moderator
2,122 Posts
I've got nothing bad to say about Borla. Their exhausts usually sound very refined and they've been around longer than many other tuner type shops.

However, if I had to choose between Fast Intentions (FI) and Borla, I would go FI. Reason being, the FI system has less connections (so fewer leak points/failure mechanisms), which should also translate to less system weight. FI has been in the market for this particular engine and car longer than Borla (who probably slapped together a bunch of off the shelf stuff until something sounded good and tested ok...at least that what I think happened..LOL)

Both have 2.5" piping with 4.5" tips but the Borla also doesn't come polished. It comes unpolished unless you ask for polished (like seriously?? wth).

My 2c only :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got nothing bad to say about Borla. Their exhausts usually sound very refined and they've been around longer than many other tuner type shops.

However, if I had to choose between Fast Intentions (FI) and Borla, I would go FI. Reason being, the FI system has less connections (so fewer leak points/failure mechanisms), which should also translate to less system weight. FI has been in the market for this particular engine and car longer than Borla (who probably slapped together a bunch of off the shelf stuff until something sounded good and tested ok...at least that what I think happened..LOL)

Both have 2.5" piping with 4.5" tips but the Borla also doesn't come polished. It comes unpolished unless you ask for polished (like seriously?? wth).

My 2c only :)
Thanks so much for your feedback Testrage! Yeah I was pretty set on FI until I found borla made one so i was curious as to how that setup would be. Prob going to stick with FI now. :)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Is there any sound clips of the Borla exhaust?

I am debating if I should get the FI exhaust as well, sounds great from what I've heard so far!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Is there any sound clips of the Borla exhaust?

I am debating if I should get the FI exhaust as well, sounds great from what I've heard so far!
I've had the FI DPs and the Cat-back (resonated) installed since February 2017. I am very happy with not only the exhaust tone but the performance gains. You can really hear the turbos spool-up, most likely to the DPs increased flow due to the elimination of the 2nd converter. It does not have significant drone at 60-70 mph in top gear. However, if you are going up a hill in a higher gear and low rpms - that will generate the most amount of noticeable drone.

The installation of the DPs was straight-forward, as we had the car up on a four-post lift. The toughest part was loosening the top exhaust stud from the engine compartment (one on driver's side, two on passenger's side). You have to be careful to fully seat the socket on the nut, and not partially engage it (at risk of rounding it off), so it required a flex-joint and two long extensions. Loosening the nut will back-out the stud from the clamp on the stock secondary converter, so it takes many turns with the ratchet to get the stud to fully back out, all the while the loosening torque is constant until the very end (the thought crossed my mind - is it ever going to fully back-out? Yes...eventually).

Another challenge - disconnecting the passenger side O2 sensor connector will try your patience as you need both hands to separate it, and it is buried next to the transmission housing.

Reactions: Marco

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had the FI DPs and the Cat-back (resonated) installed since February 2017. I am very happy with not only the exhaust tone but the performance gains. You can really hear the turbos spool-up, most likely to the DPs increased flow due to the elimination of the 2nd converter. It does not have significant drone at 60-70 mph in top gear. However, if you are going up a hill in a higher gear and low rpms - that will generate the most amount of noticeable drone.

The installation of the DPs was straight-forward, as we had the car up on a four-post lift. The toughest part was loosening the top exhaust stud from the engine compartment (one on driver's side, two on passenger's side). You have to be careful to fully seat the socket on the nut, and not partially engage it (at risk of rounding it off), so it required a flex-joint and two long extensions. Loosening the nut will back-out the stud from the clamp on the stock secondary converter, so it takes many turns with the ratchet to get the stud to fully back out, all the while the loosening torque is constant until the very end (the thought crossed my mind - is it ever going to fully back-out? Yes...eventually).

Another challenge - disconnecting the passenger side O2 sensor connector will try your patience as you need both hands to separate it, and it is buried next to the transmission housing.
Thanks for all the info!
Just wondering, do you have any videos of your setup? Im also debating whether to go res or non-res. But then again, it is hard to judge the actual exhaust tone through videos

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Thanks for all the info!
Just wondering, do you have any videos of your setup? Im also debating whether to go res or non-res. But then again, it is hard to judge the actual exhaust tone through videos

Qx4Cor has the FI dp's and catback non-res, and he posted a video in his thread below.

http://www.infinitiq60.org/forum/in...ntentions-lower-downs-cat-back.html#post56465

I love my FI catback resonated, very easy to install and very clean looking. The exhaust note is beautiful and smooth. Drone is very minimal. The only time you could say there is actual drone is between 1-2.5K RPM under acceleration, but cruising it's practically non-existant. I'm still waiting on the DP's to come in but with those the note will just deepen a tad more which will be perfect. Non-res would also be a bit deeper in tone as well, but equally have a bit more drone in the low RPM's but nothing the stereo couldn't overcome at 20% volume.

I agree with testrage that the exhaust from Borla just has too many connection points, to the point of unnecessary in my opinion. But I also don't like the single split muffler, it's just too much like the stock exhaust system there. Also, and probably the most decisive for some, it's more expensive! While I'm sure it sounds better then stock and would do just fine, the FI catback just appeals to me more overall. Plus with FI I feel like I'm getting something more personal since they hand build everything to order and love getting feedback be it positive or negative.

·
Registered
39 Posts
BORLA... BORLA... BORLA!!!!!!..... unless you want to wait 2.5 months only to have your **** stolen off your porch. FI looks and sounds good based on the videos, but Borla makes an amazing product. After I file my UPS claim, Borla for me. WHat a hassle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BORLA... BORLA... BORLA!!!!!!..... unless you want to wait 2.5 months only to have your **** stolen off your porch. FI looks and sounds good based on the videos, but Borla makes an amazing product. After I file my UPS claim, Borla for me. WHat a hassle.
Sup man. So did you end up getting the Borla exhaust? That's what I did and I love it. I posted a sound clip here:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you feel any power gains from the borla ?
I'm sure there was a substantial power gain, but I only drove the car once before throwing on this new exhaust so I can't say if I noticed a difference or not. This exhaust was my first mod. Lol. But this is a true 2.5 inch free-flowing exhaust, so I'd imagine some gains were made compared to factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts