Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone has experienced any droning or similar issues with the louder 10" FI mufflers as opposed to the standard touring option of the 14" mufflers? Has the 15/20% louder 10" mufflers been unbearable to live with or would you say it's acceptable? Appreciate its personal preference but would be good to hear some opinions as the standard set up is just too tame for a 400bhp car!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone has experienced any droning or similar issues with the louder 10" FI mufflers as opposed to the standard touring option of the 14" mufflers? Has the 15/20% louder 10" mufflers been unbearable to live with or would you say it's acceptable? Appreciate its personal preference but would be good to hear some opinions as the standard set up is just too tame for a 400bhp car!
Whichever muffler you choose, I would get the resonated X-pipe, which reduces drone substantially.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have my order in place for 14" non resonated (5th week waiting). According to Kevin, there should be no drones for the 14" muffler, since I'm in California so LDP is a no go for me.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. **** FI said ship out date is November :(.
FI is the defacto exhaust of choice for the V37/CV37 platform (VR30'd Q50s & Q60s). Yeah, the wait sucks, but the wait is in part due to their popularity. Sometimes the forum classifieds will have a used FI CBE, but it doesn't last a day or two before it's sold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering the same thing. **** FI said ship out date is November :(.
The wait does suck. 18-20 weeks I've been quoted but will likely be longer as shipping to the UK! As iridium says, should be worth the wait but I may look at the ARK CBE as heard good things about that system also and see what lead times that has.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have my order in place for 14" non resonated (5th week waiting). According to Kevin, there should be no drones for the 14" muffler, since I'm in California so LDP is a no go for me.
Good to know. Reading from others on here, I think that the 14" my be too tame for my liking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to know. Reading from others on here, I think that the 14" my be too tame for my liking.
Non resonated Sport Muffler might be the way to go. Judging from YouTube video 14" sounds a tad bit louder than stock 350z G35. 10" is a lot more aggressive, also no drones according to Kevin from FI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Non resonated Sport Muffler might be the way to go. Judging from YouTube video 14" sounds a tad bit louder than stock 350z G35. 10" is a lot more aggressive, also no drones according to Kevin from FI.
Thanks. The stock G35 was too tame for me and has a full custom exhaust installed together with Berks HFC's. I'll have to try and find that video.

·
Registered
15 Posts
HKS makes a CBE that has removable silencers. I was torn between the HKS and Fi and ultimately went for the FI with an estimated delivery of Aug-Sept.

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Lots of external sound clips out there, however, here's an in-cabin sound clip taken of my Q accelerating to 60, recorded on an iPhone clipped to a suction-cup mount to the windshield.

At the time, I had FI 2.5" LDPs & resonated 14" CBE, I have since upgraded to 3" FI Catted DPs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HKS makes a CBE that has removable silencers. I was torn between the HKS and Fi and ultimately went for the FI with an estimated delivery of Aug-Sept.

Yep, I looked at that one but just didn't like the middle removable cap bits on it and the tips aren't part of the main exhaust but screwed/bolted on.. thanks though 👍🏻

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of external sound clips out there, however, here's an in-cabin sound clip taken of my Q accelerating to 60, recorded on an iPhone clipped to a suction-cup mount to the windshield.

At the time, I had FI 2.5" LDPs & resonated 14" CBE, I have since upgraded to 3" FI Catted DPs.

That sounds pretty good to me. I'm guessing it's louder now with the 3" DP's? I know there not cheap!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That sounds pretty good to me. I'm guessing it's louder now with the 3" DP's? I know there not cheap!
The exhaust now has a deeper tone. I know with turbos, the exhaust pulses are attenuated by the impellers in the exhaust stream, but it still sounds great, especially on a summer evening with the windows down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The exhaust now has a deeper tone. I know with turbos, the exhaust pulses are attenuated by the impellers in the exhaust stream, but it still sounds great, especially on a summer evening with the windows down.
I guess they would and I bet it does!

Checked out the ARK CBE and although it sounds just as good as the FI, it's rated at 10bhp less than the FI.

Contacted FI and awaiting a lead time and shipping costs. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Checked out the ARK CBE and although it sounds just as good as the FI, it's rated at 10bhp less than the FI.

Nice! I can't wait for mine. Sucks that I live in California. No LDP for me:mad:

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti Q50 Luxe (RWD)
3 Posts

I would consider the AFE Takeda CBE as well if you do not want to wait 12+ weeks. Also a 2.5" system with resonators, just no mufflers. I ordered mine from R/T Tuning a couple weeks ago and got it less than 2 days later. Very distinct sound from other VR30 systems but it has an amazing sound imo. I am waiting to get my car back from the body shop before I install but I will provide updates on when I get it installed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts