Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I love the sounds of the FI downpipe and cat back on my 3.0 premium, but since installed I notice a slight "studder" at various points of acceleration. Sometimes moderate acceleration from a stop and sometime flooring it passing someone on the highway. I thought the studder could be transmission related and before I installed anymore mods, wanted to play it safe and get the dealership to check it out.

They basically said the fatback was causing slight turbo lag due to lack of back pressure.

Again, the studder is slight and not really consistent in terms of when it happens. I am getting my CAI this week, so hopefully that resolves the issue... if not, the only way to fix it is with tuning (we all know the risk of flashing the ECU... warranty most likely goes bye-bye).

I will let you all know if the CAI helps correct.... just wanted to give everyone a heads-up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news. but wasn't there also an issue with boost spikes without a tune?

Personally, I'll be running a tune and just flashing it to stock when I bring it to the dealership and hope for the best. haha

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No stutter issues with the FI DPs and Cat-back on the Red Sport.

Reactions: whiteq60awd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, car is insanely fast, idles perfect, and gas mileage has improved.

Probably did the same to 15+ cars I've owned without a single issue.

Not exactly living on the edge, but ok bud ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hmmm, car is insanely fast, idles perfect, and gas mileage has improved.

Probably did the same to 15+ cars I've owned without a single issue.

Not exactly living on the edge, but ok bud ?
Alright, you seem to have taken that as a personal stab at you or as some kind of offense, or ignored the playful nature of me using an emoji, so i'll leave you to it...wasn't aware I questioned how fast your car was, how good it idled or what its gas mileage was (or how many cars you've modded in the past). Enjoy your car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Alright, you seem to have taken that as a personal stab at you or as some kind of offense, or ignored the playful nature of me using an emoji, so i'll leave you to it...wasn't aware I questioned how fast your car was, how good it idled or what its gas mileage was (or how many cars you've modded in the past). Enjoy your car. :rolleyes:
Lol, no offense taken man! :D I just thought it was weird you thought that an intake and exhaust was "living on the edge". let's chalk it up to misinterpretation through text.

Anyway, I had to copy you man, got my lower lip gloss black today... Loving it! window trim up next... Considering the roof too, but not sure yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lol, no offense taken man! :D I just thought it was weird you thought that an intake and exhaust was "living on the edge". let's chalk it up to misinterpretation through text.

Anyway, I had to copy you man, got my lower lip gloss black today... Loving it! window trim up next... Considering the roof too, but not sure yet.
Lol, gotcha, I wasn't sure who that was who was posting and it's all good brother... 0:)

I think it's all perspective... :)

These VR30 engines are so new that we don't really have much data available yet, and even tunes are only JUST starting to appear...for me personally, yeah, anything that messes with AFR like CAIs and full downpipes/exhaust systems is somewhat risky on brand new, forced-induction cars in general, but on brand new cars with brand new turbo engines, especially an engine based off the super MAF-sensitive Nissan GTR...

Yeah...that's definitely living life on the edge for me given the relative cost of a Q60 RS, lol...lots of ways to avoid risking warranty but also plenty of ways for Infiniti to do all they can to void it as well, so anyone doing all of this right now is a far braver soul than i am. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've got all that on order right now - the DPs, Cat Back and Stillen Intake. You all are making me paranoid.
I guess I'll put just the Cat Back on and sit on the rest while more testimonials become public?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I guess I'll put just the Cat Back on and sit on the rest while more testimonials become public?
Nah, just do it. Go big or go home.. I can't speak for the CAI, but I have absolutely zero buyer's remorse with the FI DPs and Cat-back. The stock ECM plays well with it, and it's been almost 3 months since the install.

Performance gains, nice sound, and gas mileage has improved (slightly), and I'm running 92 octane w/E10. I finally found a pure-gas ethanol-free station nearby, so my next tank with be 92 octane w/o ethanol - we'll see what difference, if any, it will make.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm so frustrated with all of these options because the FI system sounds so good, but I don't want to blow the warranty on my Q. I just saw the Infiniti sport exhaust with muffler system and that sounds like the best option for keeping the car good with the dealer, but I know I won't be as happy with an OEM system. There's a big part of me that wants to say "screw it, just get it and install it" and if anything goes wrong with the car just reinstall the stock system. I know that would be a giant pain in the ass though and in reality I would probably never want to go through that hassle. Life choices....

Being an adult (kinda) is hard.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Let's ignore the down pipes for a minute - will a Cat Back exhaust and intake void the warranty?

It's probably in the manual if I would RTFM but I haven't bothered beyond figuring out how to make the wipers stick up, and a few other things, even though I had good intentions to read the whole thing week one.

The intake would be a simple swap back but yeah exhaust would be a moderate PITA.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had asked my dealer if they had heard about the new sport exhauast/muffler kit and she referred me to the Borla exhaust that's available, to which I asked her "Wouldn't an aftermarket system void my warranty?" She said yes, and that she would look into the new OEM system. If I maybe had experience installing exhaust and cat backs before I would consider it since I have easy access to a lift to put the car on, but I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I've got all that on order right now - the DPs, Cat Back and Stillen Intake. You all are making me paranoid.
I have the CB and CAI, no DP's (waiting for delivery) and OMG NO TUNE and haven't experienced any issues.... Just put your new parts in and go. If you want to be cautious I'd say install one piece and drive a week before installing the next one, but NNNAAAAAHHH do it all at once and don't be a wuss! (Cough cough Jayce) :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Out of respect to FI, and their incredible exhaust (I couldn't be happier with it), I have to rescind my original post. The "wobble" or "judder" I was feeling at certain RPMs, was the result of the exhaust installer leaving a tool under my car that scored the heck out of my front drive shaft. It scored it so bad the pressure warped in. In our cars those drive shafts are packaged and treated like part of a space shuttle, extremely delicate. Getting a new drive shaft this week.

Otherwise I must say, the FI downpipes and exhaust are truest exceptional. Sweet, low exotic sounding tone and tons of gains for the 3.0 premium. Worth ever penny (and the long wait).

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Out of respect to FI, and their incredible exhaust (I couldn't be happier with it), I have to rescind my original post. The "wobble" or "judder" I was feeling at certain RPMs, was the result of the exhaust installer leaving a tool under my car that scored the heck out of my front drive shaft. It scored it so bad the pressure warped in. In our cars those drive shafts are packaged and treated like part of a space shuttle, extremely delicate. Getting a new drive shaft this week.

Otherwise I must say, the FI downpipes and exhaust are truest exceptional. Sweet, low exotic sounding tone and tons of gains for the 3.0 premium. Worth ever penny (and the long wait).

Thanks for the update!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,699 Posts

That sucks

·
Registered
2 Posts

Have you ran into any problems with your FI lower downpipes and exhaust? I have an 18' luxe with fast intentions catback and mishimoto heat exchanger but not sure if LDP will cause problems without a tune to keep my warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts