Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've reached the official 1,200 mile break-in point. I'm going against manufacturer's recommendations and having my oil and filter replaced today. Wish me luck. :D

Reactions: T-Will and Q602B

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Break in period?? HA!!! That is what the warranty is for. Spun the tires on the way out of the stealership with mine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
1,200 miles is a lot for a break in period. Even performance cars like the Nissan GT-R and the Corvette recommend a light-load break-in for the first 500 miles or so.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1,200 miles is a lot for a break in period. Even performance cars like the Nissan GT-R and the Corvette recommend a light-load break-in for the first 500 miles or so.
10,000 miles is a lot of mileage for first service. All my high performance motorcycles recommend first service at 600 miles. :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just usually go with the mileage that my dealership suggests and they call me for a service reminder whenever the time comes. 10,000 miles is a lot between services even if it's not the first one.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just usually go with the mileage that my dealership suggests and they call me for a service reminder whenever the time comes. 10,000 miles is a lot between services even if it's not the first one.
Every 10,000 or 12 months is what my dealership and the owner's manual recommends.

·
Registered
500 Posts
at least if you follow what they recommend and something goes wrong, with a track record of the maintenance you'll be covered under warranty. but i always like to be proactive and manually check things for myself to see what the current state of it actually is.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'll change my oil & filter @ 1000 miles, which should be fairly soon. I already purchased 6-qts of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 synthetic from Wally's, and the OEM filters ($7.99) and copper drain washers through Amazon, so I'm all set for the 1st oil & filter change.

I requested my oil sampling kits from Blackstone Labs earlier this week, so I'm just waiting for snail mail to deliver them.

Blackstone Labs

I'm post the analysis when it is made available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
break in

I drove to Las Vegas with 500 miles on the car. A lot of just sitting on the freeway at 75 MPH. I wonder I that was really bad for break in ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll change my oil & filter @ 1000 miles, which should be fairly soon. I already purchased 6-qts of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 synthetic from Wally's, and the OEM filters ($7.99) and copper drain washers through Amazon, so I'm all set for the 1st oil & filter change.

I requested my oil sampling kits from Blackstone Labs earlier this week, so I'm just waiting for snail mail to deliver them.

Blackstone Labs

I'm post the analysis when it is made available.
Some people I think change their drain plug every oil change which is a good idea. If there's anything you want to make sure is on tight and secure, its the drain plug, plus they are cheap enough to come by.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some people I think change their drain plug every oil change which is a good idea. If there's anything you want to make sure is on tight and secure, its the drain plug, plus they are cheap enough to come by.
Pretty sure you mean the washer, not the plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the analysis Iridium400RS. Does the lab have sample data from new/unused 0W/20 so we have a baseline for comparison?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the analysis Iridium400RS. Does the lab have sample data from new/unused 0W/20 so we have a baseline for comparison?
Look at the "values should be" column.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm taking mine in this weekend.
I thought the break in period was never going to be over specially having a 12 mile a day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, Thanks Bevo...I see that col...interested in the base line for elements...guess we'll have to help build the data base.

I'm picking up my Iridium 3.0T sport tomorrow...will get Blackstone sample kit next week, first sample likely at ~200 miles...I'll post results when they come in...then again at 1200 miles (I'm and engineer...data is my thing).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts