Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read this before but couldn't remember where nor could I find it, but I just read an Australian Q60 2.0t review posted a couple days ago that says this...

"The increasingly common Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both absent, but Infiniti assures us it’s working on it."

Because I had read that before, I had really hoped they were going to announce support in the Q60. Oh well, but I have read the Q60 system is built to be upgradable, so my hope is that we see this option as an upgrade rather than it just being announced simply for a future car.

Here's the article...
2017 Infiniti Q60 2.0t GT review | CarAdvice

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was interested in CarPlay - until I realized I'd have to plug my phone in.

No thank you. Not taking my phone out of my pocket every time I get in my car just to connect it for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haven't seen it in Nissan vehicles, so I'm assuming it will be awhile to we see it in Infiniti lineup

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about Android Auto, but CarPlay is already in the Nissan Maxima. Also, CarPlay can be wireless if the car maker wants it that way, but BMW is the only one offering it wirelessly right now. I'm a stickler for sound quality, plus I like using travel time to keep my phone charged, so I plug mine in anyway.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If Infiniti is working on it, maybe all the Q60 needs is a patch in the future to enable Carplay and Android Auto. You'd think it'd be standard these days with how many manufacturers are adding the features as standard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You guys are going to have to take the aftermarket route for now if you're trying to get enhanced features like this into the Q60. There are clean plug and play Android units available out there for the Q50 that can be installed and completely concealed (which I mentioned in another thread) which don't involve cutting into any wires and won't affect warranty or anything. They are infinitely better than our Infiniti inTouch systems as you can install apps/games/etc just like on your smartphone/tablet. Don't know if anyone has tested them on a Q60 yet but the interface of both car models look identical so I'd be surprised if they don't work on the Q60.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You guys are going to have to take the aftermarket route for now if you're trying to get enhanced features like this into the Q60. There are clean plug and play Android units available out there for the Q50 that can be installed and completely concealed (which I mentioned in another thread) which don't involve cutting into any wires and won't affect warranty or anything. They are infinitely better than our Infiniti inTouch systems as you can install apps/games/etc just like on your smartphone/tablet. Don't know if anyone has tested them on a Q60 yet but the interface of both car models look identical so I'd be surprised if they don't work on the Q60.
I have the same android system in my Audi and its the best car unit add-on hands down. The ability to use any music service and Waze is amazing. Connect an obd2 reader and you have any engine systems gauge possible using torque or the equivalent. Use Automate as the front end and almost never touch the stock system.

Was hoping Nissan would get on the ball faster with it. At this price point its almost expected... Along with a dual clutch transmission, air cooled seats.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not only won't I have CarPlay, but Infiniti also doesn't have "Siri Eyes Free" of course, where you can hold down the voice button on the steering wheel to select Siri rather than pushing it for the in-car voice system. So I'm setting up my own with the iBolt Bluetooth Command Remote for iPhone. When Hey Siri was released I thought it would solve my issues in the car but of course the phone can't hear you over all the heavy metal blasting. What was I thinking? Plus I wanted an easy way to simply pause my music, and the steering wheel select button doesn't seem to do that by default. This bluetooth home button seems to solve both issues for me, and I'll probably attach it on the backside of the steering wheel behind the other controls.

By default, if you press it once it will pause music and if you hold it down, it will access Siri just like if you were holding down the actual home button on the phone. It will also skip forward and back with two or three clicks, but I won't have a need for that with the built in controls on the steering wheel. It was easy to pair and works like a charm. I temporarily have it in my G until my Q60 shows up in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your only option, because Infiniti is late to the game, is adding the android "stereo" system if Google is your mobile choice. It allows you to use any android app. Currently is no Apple solution other than BT or cable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bet carplay won't be available till mid year model refresh in the Q60. The car will stay the same for a min of 2 years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The current Intouch system is based on Android OS. The reason CarPlay does not work is because of the Android OS. Infiniti is trying to make Carplay compatible with the Android OS so that it can install it on current vehicles an not develop a new system. The reason Nissan is able to run Carplay is beause its new system is not based on Android OS. Its an entirely new Linux system that offers more flexibility. As far as Android auto, I was told that Infiniti does not want to release something that only works with one half of the worlds most popular Mobile OS and alienate all the Ios Users. Was told that if we see it happen, it would be in the Spring on the new QX50. InTouch was designed to be update-able, so their is a chance current vehicles could be updated to take advantage of the system.

Take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The current Intouch system is based on Android OS. The reason CarPlay does not work is because of the Android OS. Infiniti is trying to make Carplay compatible with the Android OS so that it can install it on current vehicles an not develop a new system. The reason Nissan is able to run Carplay is beause its new system is not based on Android OS. Its an entirely new Linux system that offers more flexibility. As far as Android auto, I was told that Infiniti does not want to release something that only works with one half of the worlds most popular Mobile OS and alienate all the Ios Users. Was told that if we see it happen, it would be in the Spring on the new QX50. InTouch was designed to be update-able, so their is a chance current vehicles could be updated to take advantage of the system.

Take it for what its worth.
Makes me wonder how similar the hardware between the two systems are currently. Also, this topic stirs the nerd in me. :nerd:
Can anyone here suggest sources so I can do a little research?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you advise what "stereo" unit would allow the Android eco system to work. Would it void any warranty? I am leasing, so do not want to do much to the car, but would love the additional functionality if possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if you guys have already seen the youtube videos but there are a few people that have posted videos of Apple Car Play and Android Auto installed on their Q60/Q50. It's actually pretty cool. One guy I saw even was able to watch Apple TV. From my understanding it's a module that you have to buy and install that costs a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, I've looked at the videos but most of them don't give you all the details to either purchase or make the decision to purchase. Just a long demo of their system with no links or any other info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update

Sorry to say, I've purchased a 2018 Q60 and nothing has changed. No carplay. No siri activation using a button on the steering wheel. There's really hardly any integration with the iphone other than bluetooth music. Even replying to text messages doesn't work with an iphone X. Someone mentioned trying the remote bluetooth home button by an aftermarket company. Unfortunately, none of the products are compatible with anything newer than iOS 9. So if you have a new iphone, like the iphone x as I do, no luck using those products either. I traded my Lexus RC350 for this car and at least Lexus had the siri activation button on the steering wheel working fine, even for the iphone X. As for adding carplay with a kit, that's done via an interface by Navtools, just do a google for Navtools carplay interface. Very pricey and not sure if it actually works. Pretty disappointing all around.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
Sorry to say, I've purchased a 2018 Q60 and nothing has changed. No carplay. No siri activation using a button on the steering wheel. There's really hardly any integration with the iphone other than bluetooth music. Even replying to text messages doesn't work with an iphone X. Someone mentioned trying the remote bluetooth home button by an aftermarket company. Unfortunately, none of the products are compatible with anything newer than iOS 9. So if you have a new iphone, like the iphone x as I do, no luck using those products either. I traded my Lexus RC350 for this car and at least Lexus had the siri activation button on the steering wheel working fine, even for the iphone X. As for adding carplay with a kit, that's done via an interface by Navtools, just do a google for Navtools carplay interface. Very pricey and not sure if it actually works. Pretty disappointing all around.
Dude, didn't you like look into this stuff before buying if it was so important? Infiniti never announced any changes for the 2018MY so no one really expected it to change. Trust me when I say that Infiniti will make a big d*mn deal about it if they ever get Carplay/Auto even if it happens after everyone including Tata puts it out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you plan on keeping your car for a long time like I do, you can't expect this apple or droid to work over the long hall, forget the short term. Even open source based code and devices will eventually not work because the platform imbedded device will not be changing. I am OK with swapping out my mobile phone or puter in three years, but a $60K hot rod becomes a loved one, part of my inner circle and family.

I apologize just felt I had to post and Samsung has a great and inexpensive USB 3.0 32 Gig device up on amazon for like $14 USA. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-METAL-Flash-MUF-32BA-AM/dp/B013CCTM2E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521578229&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+32+gig

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude, didn't you like look into this stuff before buying if it was so important? Infiniti never announced any changes for the 2018MY so no one really expected it to change. Trust me when I say that Infiniti will make a big d*mn deal about it if they ever get Carplay/Auto even if it happens after everyone including Tata puts it out.
"Dude" I did ask about it and was told it can read and reply with text messages from iPhone. Obviously the devil is in the details. Also, obviously it wasn't at the top of my list as a deal breaker or I wouldn't have the car. I like the car. I can see that the topic is a little irritating for some who keep reading the complaint. But I must say, my first post, and this is the response I get from a moderator? There were lots of replies all relating to the 2017, I was simply updating the readers that 2018 had no changes. Calm your t**ts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts