Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so immediately after I had my downpipes, cat back and wheel spacers installed, I had a shudder occurring while accelerating modestly at around 20 mph. Also felt it to the point I think my car is going to explode, or transmission drop under aggressive acceleration and at high RPMs.

On top of the shudder, when maually shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th the car JUMPS (very hard shift).

Took it to Infiniti 5 times. First they said it was the turbos needed to adjust to the mods (told me that twice). Then they told me the drive shaft was scored by something and that was causing it. They replaced the driveshaft and same issue kept happening. This last time they told me it was my wheel spacers causing the shudder (which makes no sense to me).

I give up. Gonna trade in for a Lexus (and lose a ton of money in depreciation and all the mods I put on). I've been loyal to Lexus for years and the biggest regret of my car buying life is trying Infiniti.

Never again. Goodluck with the cars gents.. hope you don't experience what I have.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Many times mods have bad side effects. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you get the car tuned after installing downpipes and catback?

Also. how big of wheel spacers did you run?

From what I hear the car can't always adjust 100% on its own for downpipes and exhaust, so it may save you a big financial hit to get it tuned.

I can't comment on spacers, as I've never run anyway, nor really looked into them.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Man that sucks and I understand this has left a bad taste wrt Infiniti. But, and I'm trying to say this without offending, you should have known this might be the case when you started modifying your car. I've never modified a car and then when something went wrong with it, laid the car at the dealership and OEM and made them fix it.

Maybe it's just me but I believe in taking responsibility for my actions.....I really can't see this as being Infiniti's fault unless this was happening from stock and they refused to figure it out or fix it. But it sounds like they went above and beyond by troubleshooting it and replacing your driveshaft (unless they charged you for all this work)

My 2c and no offense intended. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure how it is Infiniti's fault when you modded your car. In typical Infiniti forum fashion, you didn't state at what point the "shudder" occurred. After DP's? After spacers? After what? If the mod caused the "shudder" and "jumpy" shifts, not sure how that is the manufacturers problem. Should have done a tune instead of losing money on a trade in for a boring Lexus.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Modding a car you always risk messing something up. If you had these issues with a stock Q60 then it would be a different story. Either way, enjoy the lexus.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
So to make sure we have the complete story, are you still running with the Stillen CAI, or have you gone back to the stock intake? Your previous posts mention the Stillen CAI as part of your mods:

Hey guys, Stillen CAI, FI DPs and Catback here. I have the same problem. Low speed, low RPMs, foot off the gas and occasionally I get the transmission "Jump". The one thing you can do is use paddle shifters or manual shift mode in low RPMs. It NEVER happens when I do that. Stillen needs to step the F up and make this right somehow! $500 is a crap load of money to spend on something that is hurting transmissions in brand new $60k cars!

My suggestion is to change-back to the stock intake. I've been running with the FI DPs and Cat-back for over 3k miles, and have not experienced this transmission behavior described above. And you're right, the spacers will not cause your driveability issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The troubles started before the Stillen intake was installed. Just after wheel spacers, exhaust and down pipes.

I know modding a car comes with risk... but for bolt ons? Honestly I didn't expect it because I've modded like 20 cars with no issues.

·
Registered
500 Posts
even tuning is risky these days because apparently the dealer can find out with how systems these days log information.
on such a new, complicated and expensive vehicle its not worth the trouble unless you know 120% it wont void warranty.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hey Panda,
Did you go back to stock intake? Just wondering what steps you've taken so far.. Alot of people have had the same issues with the intake, once they went back to stock they were good to go.

Thanks,
Marco

·
Registered
686 Posts
even tuning is risky these days because apparently the dealer can find out with how systems these days log information.
on such a new, complicated and expensive vehicle its not worth the trouble unless you know 120% it wont void warranty.
I had a gearhead buddy of mine offer a solution to this. He said simply swap out the ECU before you tune or do any engine work, then if you have to take the vehicle to the dealer for anything, replace the original ECU which won't have any of your new information loaded. I don't know the validity of this suggestion, but...worth a shot?

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I had a gearhead buddy of mine offer a solution to this. He said simply swap out the ECU before you tune or do any engine work, then if you have to take the vehicle to the dealer for anything, replace the original ECU which won't have any of your new information loaded. I don't know the validity of this suggestion, but...worth a shot?
It's worth a shot but there is always a chance they may figure it out if they expect your car ECU to have been flashed to the latest firmware version (because the records indicate it was done during your last visit), only to find out it's running an older OEM tune instead. Or they could hook up to the ECU to tweak some kind of parameter and figure out it's running an aftermarket tune and make a note in their records. Then it would look really fishy if you came in with issues, and an ECU that doesn't show any history of the tunes they already made note off (that could get more than just your part warranty cancelled).

In other words, you take a chance no matter what as soon as you start modifying...if Infiniti is running low on funds to cover warranty work (because a given amount is set aside for a given fiscal year based on a number of variables), then they will push back and the dealership may help so they can remain in Infiniti's good graces (especially the warranty arm which is a major customer of any dealership).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why,...In Mod ****....You expect Infiniti...

I really don't see why any car company should try to accommodate buyers who may do all kinds of mods, and yet EXPECT any dealership to stand behind their tinkering? Lordy! Short Sighted at best?

When buyers do mods, which is any buyer's option? Try to take some form of personal responsibility for the "add-ons" and live with the outcomes?

I have never loved car manufacturers, and have often questioned their OEM choices of components that have gone into cars/trucks. Whatever Vehicle (& Selling cars often seems like a circus sideshow t'me?). I don't work for Infiniti, Lexus, or whoever/whatever.

Prior to buying my RS400, I also drove the Lexus RCF and several other "Audi/Merc "coup candidates". Thankfully, within within the very same "athletic-try-out. If you can live with that super-ugly Lexus grill? And a less-than-stellar performance? Go fer it. Never been into Matchbox Cars.

Only, into performance.

Time may tell, whether the newly-designed Japanese engine in my car will be able to endure the (my) rigors of actual life in the Outback, which does NOT include driving to the "local malls" and strutting.

I don't want my car to "Park Me", or give me a blindspot/K-band monitoring system. All, of which makes me feel like I need to move to a nursing home (and text simultaneously)?

YOU put MODS on your ride? Live with it? Meybe (intentional mizspeeling) your should not take up the mods with the maker of the car?

Except for the rough ride......I am enjoying my new ride.

·
Registered
199 Posts
....Gonna trade in for a Lexus ....
Just one of the reasons I like the Q60 RS is beacause it is not another tired Lexus. The roads are saturated enough with them. I like being a little different and relatively unique. In 8 months of looking I still have seen only one other

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
It's worth a shot but there is always a chance they may figure it out if they expect your car ECU to have been flashed to the latest firmware version (because the records indicate it was done during your last visit), only to find out it's running an older OEM tune instead. Or they could hook up to the ECU to tweak some kind of parameter and figure out it's running an aftermarket tune and make a note in their records. Then it would look really fishy if you came in with issues, and an ECU that doesn't show any history of the tunes they already made note off (that could get more than just your part warranty cancelled).

The price for a "spare" ECU/ECM could be a prohibitive factor as well...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to see a Q60 owner give up on an amazing ride.
I've had many Infinitis and find the stock RS to be perfect.
Hopefully he'll come back and talk about his experience with Lexus after he mods one of those...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts