2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,274 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Care to share the details?

Yup my bad lol

To start off my car was bought wrecked and one headlight was completely destroyed (drivers) while the other (passenger) was cracked in the back in several spots.

I bought the drivers side one and replaced it, worked without issues.

Fixed the cracks in the back of the other one since it worked fine and only the cracks were the issue (which weren’t visible inside the engine bay).

After driving the car for a few weeks, it rained one day and the passengers headlight stopped working. Checked all the connections and fuses and nothing was cut, loose or bad fuse so I left it for later to deal.
Next day going to work, that passenger side headlight works fine again no issues at all….fast forward to a car wash and same issue happens to the same headlight.

I figure ok maybe it’ll just do the same and work later. But days go by and nothing happens. That headlight stops working completely.

Saw a lot of condensation build up inside it and figured water was getting in somehow. Took it to a body shop to tear the front end up, it was more cracks somehow in there and I guess that’s how water was getting in. I ordered another one and had it connected but same issue nothing worked and it’s a new headlight. So decided to have the guy take the working headlight out and try to connect it to the passenger side (which apparently is something to not do for future reference) just to make sure it’s not a wiring issue and vice versa.

It was still the same issue with either headlight so I figured it’s probably not the headlights and maybe it’s the wiring or an electrical issue or fuses. The guy then took the drivers side headlight and put it back into its spot and next thing that one stops working too!

I got frustrated so had him rip the car apart even more to check for any cuts in the wires or loose wiring and didn’t find any. Had him check the fuses (that we knew of) and all were good. Now I have a message on the dash that wasn’t there before “Headlight System Error : see owners manual” so even more frustrated now thinking I need 2 new headlights again. Got to the point where I was about to sell the car and be done with it.

Decided to take it to someone I know who can dig into these issues better at his shop. After a bit of diagnosing, he figured out a fuse box that the other guy couldn’t find at the body shop and checked the fuses on those. Guessing from connecting the headlights on different sides thinking it’s a good way to check if the headlights actually work, the fuses got burned.

He replaced them and checked the headlights so everything worked fine.

Took an entire day though to finally get it done and have everything put back together. Literally 12 hours driving from one place to another and back to body shops etc etc

In other words, it sucks but happy I don’t need to deal with buying 2 headlights or finding a replacement for my car. Would’ve been better if there was more info online about this stuff as well but I guess hopefully this thread helps anyone with a bad headlight in a way. Check fuses first there’s some hidden boxes I guess.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wish you came here first man. I could've told you exactly where that fuse box was because I had the same exact issue. It was in the battery compartment, wasn't it?

Reactions: UNLEASHED

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish you came here first man. I could've told you exactly where that fuse box was because I had the same exact issue. It was in the battery compartment, wasn't it?
Yes sir it was. Live an learn right? I don’t have the knowledge with cars but I’ll pick things up along the way haha
As long as I didn’t end up needing 2 headlights I’m happy

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes sir it was. Live an learn right? I don’t have the knowledge with cars but I’ll pick things up along the way haha
As long as I didn’t end up needing 2 headlights I’m happy
Yea I wasn't as fortunate as that. Ended up buying 3 lights before I had Infiniti figure out my issue. All thanks to a sh!tty aftermarket shop who couldn't mod my headlights correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts