Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AMS Performance Red Alpha heat exchanger is listed at $799 .
While the BMS heat exchanger ( they have two models ) are listed at $299 and $399 respectively.

What is the difference between the AMS Red Alpha and the BMS and is it worth paying more for the more expensive one?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would say compare the amount of fluid capacity and before-and-after temperate graphs, but BMS does not provide any of that. I know many on the Q60 and Q50 forums are very happy with BMS, but I prefer AMS due to 1) openness and details provided and 2) quality. With AMS, you are paying an "AMS tax" ... that is, paying for the name (because they are always the highest quality) and the R&D that goes into their products -- AMS is very meticulous and pretty much perfectionists.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’ve recommended the AMS in the past (outside of me selling them) because of zero fitment issues and proven performance. That AMS tax @Malmby is true, but it gets you a lot!

Because of the partnership with Infiniti, AMS is engineering their stuff from the ground up, which is a bit different than reverse engineering stuff.

Another support mod to consider is the larger expansion tank, which isn’t crucial, but, to be considered. This adds to the price tag.

Of the HE’s I’ve sold in the past, I’ve not had any dissatisfied buyers.

SO...honest questions and this should best direct you how to proceed: how hot does it get where you are and how often are you spirited in your driving? If memory serves, you’re in Canada. The AMS HE has no heat soak issues. I honestly don’t know about BMS. From what I’ve caught in the past from others is the BMS May have slight fitment modification needed for install. But, if you are only spirited in occasion and it doesn’t get hot up there like it was down here (101F at one point last week!), you should be fine going the lesser-cost BMS route.
@marcogag, if you’re after the AMS one, hit me up and let me see what I can work for you.

Sorry if this is a bit scattered in thought. I’m trying to give the best overall argument for both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Another support mod to consider is the larger expansion tank, which isn’t crucial, but, to be considered. This adds to the price tag.
A great recommendation, but I would personally pick the Auxiliary Intercooler Tank over the Coolant Expansion Tank if I had to pick only one of those two additions to run with initially, but I guess that does add another $100 to the hardware cost + likely more in labor ... (Heat Exchanger first, before any other mods, whether you choose to go with AMS or BMS!)
Warning: the Coolant Expansion Tank is easier to install than the Auxiliary Intercooler Tank; however, the Coolant Expansion Tank is slightly annoying when it comes to measuring your fluid levels -- I made a dedicated, marked stick for this purpose.

All of those cooling modifications from AMS are available through the Infiniti Motorsports catalog, FYI. And @saboxermanis the best to work with in my experience. :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have the Infiniti-branded (AMS) HE. The Infiniti dealership installed the HE and also gave me a 1 year warranty on the installation labor. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I second the AMS HE. I was between AMS and Burger but because of AMS i went with them... They do have an AFFIRM PAYMENT OPTION if you dont want to shell out 800 off the bat just a thought!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I second the AMS HE. I was between AMS and Burger but because of AMS i went with them... They do have an AFFIRM PAYMENT OPTION if you dont want to shell out 800 off the bat just a thought!

It’s not much, but, I’m offering the Infiniti variant of the AMS HE at $740 shipped to the 48. Saves off of MSRP and shipping.

·
Registered
447 Posts
just get the infiniti branded HE...its the same as the AMS one but its cheaper and if you get it on ebay you can do the 6months 0% financing through paypal credit. Its also considered a infiniti part so less warranty issues to deal with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Infiniti-branded (AMS) HE. The Infiniti dealership installed the HE and also gave me a 1 year warranty on the installation labor. :)
What was the labor on the install if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
760 Posts
just get the infiniti branded HE...its the same as the AMS one but its cheaper and if you get it on ebay you can do the 6months 0% financing through paypal credit. Its also considered a infiniti part so less warranty issues to deal with.
I got the HE off Ebay discounted by an Infiniti dealer for $729. In addition, it was a 20%-off sale at time, with a max discount of $100, so I got it for $629 + free shipping. :D

Reactions: TemjinX2

·
Registered
760 Posts
What was the labor on the install if you don't mind me asking?
4.5 hrs @ $140/hr. I also used a 10% service coupon received via an email offer from the dealer, so the final cost for labor was $567. Add in a few extra pesos for "shop materials", i.e., coolant, etc..

Reactions: Edwin Ramos

·
Registered
47 Posts
A great recommendation, but I would personally pick the Auxiliary Intercooler Tank over the Coolant Expansion Tank if I had to pick only one of those two additions to run with initially, but I guess that does add another $100 to the hardware cost + likely more in labor ... (Heat Exchanger first, before any other mods, whether you choose to go with AMS or BMS!)
Warning: the Coolant Expansion Tank is easier to install than the Auxiliary Intercooler Tank; however, the Coolant Expansion Tank is slightly annoying when it comes to measuring your fluid levels -- I made a dedicated, marked stick for this purpose.

All of those cooling modifications from AMS are available through the Infiniti Motorsports catalog, FYI. And @saboxermanis the best to work with in my experience. :)
You need both, the auxiliary and the expansion tanks because of added capacity.

I also run the AMS heat exchanger. The performance and quality is outstanding. I did recently buy the auxiliary and the expansion tanks and cant be happier. My temps dropped and stay down vs HE alone.

Reactions: saboxerman

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the dude at bms says an expansion tank is not necessary!? he also said his heat exchanger has no fitment issues .
he noted that they use a high quality factory in china to fabricate the HE , “ built better than his usa counterpart that he sells for more money .
anyone want to comment on the above ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
the dude at bms says an expansion tank is not necessary!? he also said his heat exchanger has no fitment issues .

he noted that they use a high quality factory in china to fabricate the HE , “ built better than his usa counterpart that he sells for more money .

anyone want to comment on the above ?

Um...I’ll only say there’s a possibility there may no longer be fitment issues.

I wish I could pull where I saw early on fitment issues on some vehicles. It wasn’t all of them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
the dude at bms says an expansion tank is not necessary!?
The Auxiliary Tank and Expansion tank certainly are not necessary -- the car was built without them after all -- but this engine has a major issue with heat soak. You will notice the car not performing well after a few spirited pulls on the road because the heat quickly gets to the point that the calibration retards timing to reduce power thus reducing additional heat generation.

I would never [again] track this car on a circuit without both, and if you wanted to be consistent on a drag strip after a few runs, you will need the additional coolant.

The two largest improvements to this engine is 1) tuning and 2) cooling the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been looking for a heat exchanger for my q60 3.0 and I saw one on ebay called PLM. I looks just like the AMS fitting locations and bracketry etc. and they are $300.00 less than the AMS. These heat exchangers are just little radiators and they all seem too expensive. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Auxiliary Tank and Expansion tank certainly are not necessary -- the car was built without them after all -- but this engine has a major issue with heat soak. You will notice the car not performing well after a few spirited pulls on the road because the heat quickly gets to the point that the calibration retards timing to reduce power thus reducing additional heat generation.

I would never [again] track this car on a circuit without both, and if you wanted to be consistent on a drag strip after a few runs, you will need the additional coolant.

The two largest improvements to this engine is 1) tuning and 2) cooling the engine.
This right here. Even with my AMS HE I would get heat soaked when pushing hard, or when in traffic. After the addition of the 2 tanks, this all went away. Not necessary, but when you run 19PSI+, its very helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say compare the amount of fluid capacity and before-and-after temperate graphs, but BMS does not provide any of that. I know many on the Q60 and Q50 forums are very happy with BMS, but I prefer AMS due to 1) openness and details provided and 2) quality. With AMS, you are paying an "AMS tax" ... that is, paying for the name (because they are always the highest quality) and the R&D that goes into their products -- AMS is very meticulous and pretty much perfectionists.
Do you still offer special pricing on the AMS HE?

·
Registered
207 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts