Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Been an Infiniti Coupe owner since 2003.
2003 G35
2008 G37S
2012 G37S
Considering the Q60 RS400...

dropping in to say hello

Reactions: Garnoch

·
Registered
591 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you're currently driving the 2012 G37S, then the Q60's fully digital steering system shouldn't bother you at all. a few journalists doesn't seem to like it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Welcome to the forums, glad to see you come from the line of Gs. The Q60 RS400 may be exactly what you're looking for next. Have you booked a test drive or anything ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI there,

I have test driven the Q50 RS400 and had one as a loaner for a few days as well. The power is addictive. the handling feel was great with the digital dynamic suspension.

I test trove a Q60 premium as well. The car felt great and even the 300 HP model felt like it accelerates as quickly as the G37S.
There are characteristics about the new platform that make it more of its own thing as opposed to being a lenear evolution of the G. That's both good and bad in a way- as there are things that I would miss from the G. But I think that the extras one would receive in the new Q60 somewhat offset. And I am thinking they left room for a potential IPL or halo model down the road.

·
Registered
479 Posts
HI there,

I have test driven the Q50 RS400 and had one as a loaner for a few days as well. The power is addictive. the handling feel was great with the digital dynamic suspension.

I test trove a Q60 premium as well. The car felt great and even the 300 HP model felt like it accelerates as quickly as the G37S.
There are characteristics about the new platform that make it more of its own thing as opposed to being a lenear evolution of the G. That's both good and bad in a way- as there are things that I would miss from the G. But I think that the extras one would receive in the new Q60 somewhat offset. And I am thinking they left room for a potential IPL or halo model down the road.
Oh, they definitely left room for an IPL model on purpose. It is not really a matter of if, but when! Thinking around the 2019/20 model year. The RS400 version is awesome, but they didn't go all out on it. The M4/RC-F/C63S/RS5 are range toppers, and Infiniti knows they need to jump in the mix with their IPL version, especially since they are the only Japanese/German company without a halo coupe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
HI there,

Welcome. Good to see a few guys from myg37 on this forum. I hope others will find their way.
I'm curious as to what you will miss if/when you get into a Q60.

Oh, they definitely left room for an IPL model on purpose. It is not really a matter of if, but when! Thinking around the 2019/20 model year. The RS400 version is awesome, but they didn't go all out on it. The M4/RC-F/C63S/RS5 are range toppers, and Infiniti knows they need to jump in the mix with their IPL version, especially since they are the only Japanese/German company without a halo coupe.
I actually disagree. I think it will be an entirely new model. I feel like having a model with a 2.0, a 300hp 3.0, AND a 400hp version is plenty. The "G" was never intended to be a $60k vehicle, nor should it be. Something longer, lower, lighter and far more powerful. A true $70k+ sports car.

·
Registered
250 Posts
HI there,

My dealer said there is supposed to be a Q60 Black Sport in the future that will be more of a track/race car. I don't know how true that is, because I've seen nothing about it online.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My dealer said there is supposed to be a Q60 Black Sport in the future that will be more of a track/race car. I don't know how true that is, because I've seen nothing about it online.
I wouldn't count on that. At least not in the near future.

It took Infiniti 3 years to introduce the IPL version of the G37 Coupe which had very minor changes from the regular Sport model. Mostly all cosmetics.

It would definitely be pretty cool though to see a Q60 IPL or Track edition later on

·
Registered
175 Posts
I actually disagree. I think it will be an entirely new model. I feel like having a model with a 2.0, a 300hp 3.0, AND a 400hp version is plenty. The "G" was never intended to be a $60k vehicle, nor should it be. Something longer, lower, lighter and far more powerful. A true $70k+ sports car.
The RS400 version is awesome, but they didn't go all out on it. The M4/RC-F/C63S/RS5 are range toppers, and Infiniti knows they need to jump in the mix with their IPL version, especially since they are the only Japanese/German company without a halo coupe.
I wouldn't count on that. At least not in the near future.

It would definitely be pretty cool though to see a Q60 IPL or Track edition later on
I toyed with the idea of a Black Sport being the sport-performance tuned version for the Q50/Q60, though I would doubt it actually being named this. Be pretty cool...I just wouldn't trust this info from a dealer unless they are highly connected to Infiniti Americas/HQ.

But the sport-performance tuned version is likely coming...according to Mr. Roland Krueger, the decision has to be made if Infiniti will do it in house or seek the help from Renaultsport or NISMO, or both congruently. Mr. Alphonso Albaisa has already been given orders to design the car to see exactly what it will look like.

Infiniti to introduce high-performance S models and new VC-T engine | Auto Express

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome. Good to see a few guys from myg37 on this forum. I hope others will find their way.
I'm curious as to what you will miss if/when you get into a Q60.
A few things that I would miss from the G37 to a Q60 miss are:
-Steering feel. There is more road feel in the G37
-Limited Slip Differential - The G37S comes with one and it makes a difference in tight cornering. The Q60 limits slip via electronics. I prefer the mechanical feel as its more linear.
- Exhaust Note. The G37, and especially the G35 has a better exhaust note.
- Sport Seats. The G37 has thigh bolsters. not sure why they are not in the Q60
- Fixed Paddle Shifters. The Q60 has steering wheel mounted paddles that move with the wheel. While I know some prefer them that way, I like them fixed because you always know where they are. When one is turning, you sometimes need to up-shift or downshift while doing so (daily driving). Yeah I know you could just put it in auto, but still.. you get my point
- Engine sound. The VQ was smoother at idle. The VR in the Q60 had a bit more of what sounds like valve "chatter" at idle.

Aside from those things, to me, the Q60 is superior in every other way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A few things that I would miss from the G37 to a Q60 miss are:
-Steering feel. There is more road feel in the G37
-Limited Slip Differential - The G37S comes with one and it makes a difference in tight cornering. The Q60 limits slip via electronics. I prefer the mechanical feel as its more linear.
- Exhaust Note. The G37, and especially the G35 has a better exhaust note.
- Sport Seats. The G37 has thigh bolsters. not sure why they are not in the Q60
- Fixed Paddle Shifters. The Q60 has steering wheel mounted paddles that move with the wheel. While I know some prefer them that way, I like them fixed because you always know where they are. When one is turning, you sometimes need to up-shift or downshift while doing so (daily driving). Yeah I know you could just put it in auto, but still.. you get my point
- Engine sound. The VQ was smoother at idle. The VR in the Q60 had a bit more of what sounds like valve "chatter" at idle.

Aside from those things, to me, the Q60 is superior in every other way.
Interesting takes. You certainly have a history with this particular model, so your opinions are great to read. While I've had several Infinitis, I've only had one coupe, a 2011 xS. I enjoyed it, but when the lease ran out at the end of 2014 I gave it back knowing the new model was coming out, and gambling they'd have a more high performance model. So, I'm pretty excited to pick my RS up this Friday, although I agree with several of your points.
The steering feel and lack of a LSD will take some getting used to for sure, but I think I can deal with it. The exhaust note, not so much. I plan on going aftermarket once some options are out there, as 400hp should like it IMO. On a side note: this is a trend. The more luxury the brand attempts to be, the quieter the exhaust. I had an '08 FX that had a great sound. When I swapped it for a '10, I was incredibly disappointed. I've read and heard several opinions on the paddles, and your point on cornering is spot on. Another thing that will take some getting used to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting takes. You certainly have a history with this particular model, so your opinions are great to read. While I've had several Infinitis, I've only had one coupe, a 2011 xS. I enjoyed it, but when the lease ran out at the end of 2014 I gave it back knowing the new model was coming out, and gambling they'd have a more high performance model. So, I'm pretty excited to pick my RS up this Friday, although I agree with several of your points.
The steering feel and lack of a LSD will take some getting used to for sure, but I think I can deal with it. The exhaust note, not so much. I plan on going aftermarket once some options are out there, as 400hp should like it IMO. On a side note: this is a trend. The more luxury the brand attempts to be, the quieter the exhaust. I had an '08 FX that had a great sound. When I swapped it for a '10, I was incredibly disappointed. I've read and heard several opinions on the paddles, and your point on cornering is spot on. Another thing that will take some getting used to.
Yes the exhaust note is an easy fix. I bet manufacturers are already developing them as it will probably be a very popular mod among enthusiasts.
LSD- If the aftermarket can start on that, that is a relatively inexpensive (subjective I know) mod as well.
The Q60 RS is on a great platform. It's extremely composed which is nice. There are mixed reviews on the infotainment system. I love what it does, but personally I find it difficult to get used to sometimes because I am so use to just pressing an analog button to get what I need. I love the stance of the RWD model with its more aggressive rear wheel width and offsets. The carbon fiber package with midnight grill also looks awesome

1 - 15 of 15 Posts