Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I just recently was lucky enough to purchase a 2017 Q60 AWD! I previously had a 2010 G27 IPL 20th Anniversary edition.

As I live in Montreal, I am a complete stranger to dropping the car. Our roads are SHITE and the winter weather makes it difficult.

I'm looking to purchase some adjustable coilovers and I've read some great reviews on the RSRs. Would it be my best bet?

My real question is that I have no clue on whether I'd be able to install and be done or if other parts would be necessary, camber kit, toe arms, etc... Can someone give me some info on what exactly would be required for a .8-1.1 inch drop? I really just want the car to sit flush. I will also be looking to buy some new rims and rubber for the car but figure I'm better off getting the suspension right before doing that, no?

I'm not super happy with the ride quality I'm getting right now so the coilovers aren't just for ride height but also about overall performance/quality of life. It's my daily :)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Here's what a 1" drop looks like on my '17 Q60 Red Sport AWD:

Yes, the RS-R C/Os are an excellent choice. I'm assuming that you don't have the Sport or Red Sport version (w/DDS), then you can order these:

INFINITI Q60 SPORT / RED SPORT AWD SPORTS-I COILOVERS 2017+

Since I have a Red Sport (w/DDS), I installed these:

Infiniti Q60 3.0t Sport/Red Sport AWD Best*i Active Coilovers 2017+

If you stick with the stock suspension, the front camber is not adjustable, and by lowering it, the result will be negative camber. In the rear, the camber is adjustable with the eccentric adjuster on the frame attachment bolt. Toe is adjustable in front with the stock tie rod ends, and in the rear, the toe arm has the same eccentric adjuster (iirc) as the camber arm.

At a minimum, you could "get by" with an Upper Adjustable Control Arm (UACA) in front, and maybe the Adjustable Camber Arm in the rear. Several manufacturers make UACAs. as shown here:

Infiniti Q60 Coupe 2017+ Archives - Page 10 of 13 - Whitehead Performance

Or here:

INFINITI Q60 Accessories | INFINITI Of Nashua in Nashua, NH

As for installation, the fronts are not hard to install as a DIY or at a shop. The rears, however, are accessed by removing the back seat (upper and lower), side panels, and even the parcel shelf. Lots of disassembly to access the top perches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 24230
Yes, the RS-R C/Os are an excellent choice. I'm assuming that you don't have the Sport or Red Sport version (w/DDS), then you can order these:

INFINITI Q60 SPORT / RED SPORT AWD SPORTS-I COILOVERS 2017+

Since I have a Red Sport (w/DDS), I installed these:

Infiniti Q60 3.0t Sport/Red Sport AWD Best*i Active Coilovers 2017+

If you stick with the stock suspension, the front camber is not adjustable, and by lowering it, the result will be negative camber. In the rear, the camber is adjustable with the eccentric adjuster on the frame attachment bolt. Toe is adjustable in front with the stock tie rod ends, and in the rear, the toe arm has the same eccentric adjuster (iirc) as the camber arm.

At a minimum, you could "get by" with an Upper Adjustable Control Arm (UACA) in front, and maybe the Adjustable Camber Arm in the rear. Several manufacturers make UACAs. as shown here:

Infiniti Q60 Coupe 2017+ Archives - Page 10 of 13 - Whitehead Performance

Or here:

INFINITI Q60 Accessories | INFINITI Of Nashua in Nashua, NH

As for installation, the fronts are not hard to install as a DIY or at a shop. The rears, however, are accessed by removing the back seat (upper and lower), side panels, and even the parcel shelf. Lots of disassembly to access the top perches.
View attachment 24230

Thank you for the quick response! Super clean ride!

I have a 2017 AWD Premium so I don't believe I have DDS.

Would there be a maximum drop I could do without requiring additional components? Or would any drop require the additional purchases?

And I'm assuming "getting by" would be the minimum requirement. I've learned, as I'm sure most have, that doing it right the first time is the better bet. I know that the upgrades can go on forever lol but what would be the "correct" adjustments/components required to do it properly?

For right now, I'm leaning towards upgrading the suspension but maintaining stock ride height/minimal drop until I can get all the correct pieces in order. The car right now feels like it gets bullied by wind and with all the potholes and crappy roads, I figured this would be a strong first upgrade.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Thank you for the quick response! Super clean ride!

I have a 2017 AWD Premium so I don't believe I have DDS.

Would there be a maximum drop I could do without requiring additional components? Or would any drop require the additional purchases?

And I'm assuming "getting by" would be the minimum requirement. I've learned, as I'm sure most have, that doing it right the first time is the better bet. I know that the upgrades can go on forever lol but what would be the "correct" adjustments/components required to do it properly?

For right now, I'm leaning towards upgrading the suspension but maintaining stock ride height/minimal drop until I can get all the correct pieces in order. The car right now feels like it gets bullied by wind and with all the potholes and crappy roads, I figured this would be a strong first upgrade.
Correct, no DDS on the Premium.

As for maximum drop, I honestly don't know what the eccentric bolt limitations are - you might ask the dealership, or contact Concept Z Performance in Arizona, as they have YT videos on upgrading their Q60 shop car's suspension, so they may know:

Part 1:

Part 2:

The crappy roads can be tires, suspension, or both. I can tell you the SPL Offset Tie Rod Ends really helped bumpsteer, among other things:

SPL Parts SPL Bumpsteer Adjustable Front Outer Tie Rod Ends - Nissan 370Z GT-R / Infiniti G35 G37 Q40 Q50 Q60 SPL TRE R35 - Concept Z Performance

Also, the -1.5 camber with 0.0 front toe reduced the twitchiness of steering at speed. Now some will say the twitchiness had something to do with the stock Dunlop Run-Flats, but I drove the car after the suspension upgrade with the RFTs and my Q drove like it was new. So much easier to drive when the car doesn't need slight corrections at speed.

So, yeah, having the ability to adjust Camber easily at both ends was helpful dialing-in the car. In fact, I bought a Camber/Caster tool and I adjusted the front Camber myself in my garage! The race shop initially put -2.5 Camber into the initial setup at the front wheels, and my tires were really heating up, as evident by the 6-7 psi rise in the front tires when warm. -1.5 Camber looks to be the sweet spot for my setup.

To answer the question, when lowering the car, the camber, caster, and toe changes, even at a 1" drop. The C/Os would be the biggest cost, but with the labor is disconnecting suspension arms to install the C/Os, consider taking advantage and installing the suspension arms at the same time. The only arm that was not installed by the race shop was the rear traction arm, which I chose to install myself at a later date.

I've had zero issues with the SPL Parts & RS-R. There are cheaper brands on the market. I chose SPL because their products are high quality, and when diving into a high speed curve, I feel confident the suspension won't break.

Reactions: Pawndas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your car with the 1" drop is looking great! I am also considering a 1" drop when I get coilovers later this year. If the specs are right, that means the new ground clearance is just under 4" for you now? Do you find that you are able to drive normally with that clearance or are you having to angle driveways and speedbumps? I have driven lowered cars before and can deal with it, but it does get tiring when you don't have much clearance.

View attachment 24230

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If the specs are right, that means the new ground clearance is just under 4" for you now? Do you find that you are able to drive normally with that clearance or are you having to angle driveways and speedbumps?
Drive normally, and I have an inclined driveway to navigate. Iirc, I'm 4-5" clearance. Funny thing, when I add another person, when I'm leaving the driveway on an angle (always), the rubber dam in front of the front wheel just drags.

I'm soon going to adding the EMM Tuning CF Front Lip, and I should still clear the driveway apron in & out. However, for protection, I also bought these sacrificial metal bumpers/stand-offs from the ZL1 site which will be added to the bottom of the lip to allow them to drag if things get close.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts