Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, after some exploration with the sport mufflers paired with the Z1 full high-flow catted downpipes I decided to opt for something a little tamer. More details on that here.

Z1 Full Catted Downpipes:
Price: $1026 Shipped via FedEx - They keep them in stock, I had them later the same week I ordered them.
Source: Z1

HKS Legamax CatBack:
Price: $1695 Shipped via UPS Ground - They have a distribution center on the east coast. I ordered them on the 9th and received them on the 11th.
Source: CZP

Both pieces of hardware looked to be extremely high quality and were packaged well. I had the downpipes on a week or so before I ended up getting the HKS Legamax. The Legamax bolted right up to them. Fitment and installation of the Legamax was a breeze. Installation of the full DPs was an abysmal nightmare which probably could fall into some degree of torture. For the exhaust, I started last night around 10:30pm running primarily off monsters and completely finished down to tip adjustment and wiping down fingerprints/smudges by 1:30am. A few things I feel are worth noting on this exhaust.

1. It's the only one I've seen that allows for true center alignment in relation to the rear diffuser cutouts via the adjustable bracket which joins both muffler housings.
2. The helmholtz mufflers come with caps and sound dumps to increase/decrease both intensity and sound profile. When dumped, the tips extend just past the inner trim of the rear diffusor so wayward exhaust gas shouldn't wander or collect under the car.
3. There is no drone with the caps on. When you stomp on the gas it changes its character entirely but cruising around was no louder than the infiniti sport exhaust with stock downpipe. I included a cruising video below where I'm shifting gears up/down while trying my best to maintain speed and hold my phone camera. In nearly all scenarios the wind is in par with the exhaust hum. Pretty darn reasonable for a full high-flow DP and cat-back. This is with the sound caps on though, off and there is some drone.

Onto the videos and pics!

Cold start with the sound caps on:
https://youtu.be/I8yUButQD3w

Warm start & revs with the sound caps off (had it on ramps to swap the caps back on afterwards. 5 minute job max):
https://youtu.be/vNMdxjUdLMU

Take off with caps on:
https://youtu.be/f4YaeFQEaYs

Take off with caps off:
https://youtu.be/OMRFeOTdrg8

Cruising and manually switching gears while trying to hold phone to show in-cabin levels:
https://youtu.be/R-xOEelI8XE

Attachments

Reactions: mikey_brasileno

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those look really nice. Did you end up selling your Helmholtz? I meant to send you a message but I may have missed out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look really nice. Did you end up selling your Helmholtz? I meant to send you a message but I may have missed out.
Yeah man, they were sold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Staying_Tuned,

Did you run into any rubbing of the flex joint on the H pipe? Mine is rubbing on a bracket on the passenger side. It's going to take a little custom fitting to clear. I'm typing this on my phone. I can't remember, is your car a rwd? Maybe it's a difference on the awd? I'll look closer when they put it back on the rack.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Staying_Tuned,

Did you run into any rubbing of the flex joint on the H pipe? Mine is rubbing on a bracket on the passenger side. It's going to take a little custom fitting to clear. I'm typing this on my phone. I can't remember, is your car a rwd? Maybe it's a difference on the awd? I'll look closer when they put it back on the rack.
None at all man, we've got some pretty rough roads around me and I haven't heard a single clank when going over potholes etc. I do have the AWD version, I can throw it up on some ramps at some point today and get a shot if you think that would help. And just to clarify, you ended up with the Z1 downpipes too right? Actually, if possible snap a pic of yours too so we can compare. I'll try to take a few pics of that passenger side flex joint today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey sorry for bringing up a 2 year old topic. Did you guys ever find out what is causing the clanging on the h pipe area? I just recently installed my HKS Legamax and I hear the clanging when I am making a right turn on the passenger side.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Most likely the exhaust is hitting the cross-brace that spans the driveline tunnel. Four bolts to remove, then install 1/4" thick spacers or washers with longer bolts to give the exhaust the needed space so that it when it moves up and down on the rubber hangers, then it won't make contact with the cross-brace.

I have the FI CBE, and you'll see in this picture the 1/4" spacers above the cross-brace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most likely the exhaust is hitting the cross-brace that spans the driveline tunnel. Four bolts to remove, then install 1/4" thick spacers or washers with longer bolts to give the exhaust the needed space so that it when it moves up and down on the rubber hangers, then it won't make contact with the cross-brace.

I have the FI CBE, and you'll see in this picture the 1/4" spacers above the cross-brace.
View attachment 23374
Hey Iridium400RS thanks for the reply my good sir! I actually have the issue that Samizer has. I went to one of his threads he started and saw a picture of the exact same thing I’m experiencing. It’s by the flex joint piping passenger side rubbing on what seems to be the transmission or something? Just want to see what kind of fix I can do. I am hit up a muffler shop or something to see if they can help me out. Or I may reach out to CZP (where I bought it from) and see if they have a resolution to this.

·
Registered
839 Posts
It’s by the flex joint piping passenger side rubbing on what seems to be the transmission or something?
Ahh, Ok. The FI LDPs & CBE do not have flex joints. The only issue with the installation has been contact with the cross-brace, and that's only because the pipes are larger in diameter.

Good luck sorting out the repair!

Reactions: MeguaG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ahh, Ok. The FI LDPs & CBE do not have flex joints. The only issue with the installation has been contact with the cross-brace, and that's only because the pipes are larger in diameter.

Good luck sorting out the repair!
Hello my good sir, so my fix that my muffler shop suggested was to trim down the bracket near the flex pipe and sure enough that clanking sound was gone.

Reactions: IridiumRS400
1 - 10 of 10 Posts