Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! Hope all is well with you during this Stay At Home order from the government.

Some of you may already know that I got 2017 Q60 RS AWD 3-months ago. The after market parts that came with the car is CAI, Muffler delete and straight 3" midpipes.

Since then I've done plenty of modifications with the car;
1) AMS HE
2) AMS LDP
3) Replace my exhaust system with Invidia R400*
4) Add W1 v3.3 OCC
5) Ecutek Tune by AMS
6) Staggered wheels setup; V99 Axis 20x9 +20mm, 20x10.5 +45mm
7) Micheling Pilot AS/3 Plus; 245/35, 285/30

So that is the state of my car. Now my question how to lauch the car to get the best time;
1) Traction control ON or OFF?
2) Use Launch Control by AMS or not? If not, at what RPM do you release the brake pedal?
3) Do you use sport shifter or you let the car do it for you? If you do it, at what RPM do you shift the gears and do you use the paddle shift or not?

Thank you and be well!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*it got too loud and raspy after LDP installed.

Q60 FTW

·
Registered
652 Posts
Q60 FTW
Let the record show I never judge anyone's choice in mods, but I have not had anyone in over three (3) years tell me the FI CBE, alone or paired with LDPs, for either the Q50 or Q60 VR30, is too loud or raspy.

If anything, the younger set wanted it louder, and they can now also choose the FI 10" Sport muffler option along with the non-resonated X-Pipe option.

Maybe you should try the HKS Resonated LDPs to cut down on the rasp...

HKS Stainless Steel Lower Downpipes, 2.5" Resonated - Infiniti Q50 / Q60 3.0T VR30DDTT 33006-BN001 Front Pipes - Concept Z Performance
  • 70% of the stock back pressure.
  • A 60mm full straight structure after the turbine position is completed with use of Full Dual Muffler.
FlowBench.jpg

Not Only for Power Increase, Silencer for Creation of Sensual Exhaust Sound.
  • The exhaust sound is tuned to be the best when using with Full Dual Muffler.
  • There is no sound cracking even at high speed range, and unpleasant exhaust resonance is drastically reduced.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Muffler delete and straight 3" midpipes.
^ There's your problem. This car has some rasp and a lot of drone without resonators, and this car--in my opinion--sounds like absolute crap with 3-inch exhaust piping (at least the low-quality custom fabricated stuff I have seen; dual 3-inch piping leads to too much open space for soundwaves to bounce around rather than flow smoothly for this engine displacement.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let the record show I never judge anyone's choice in mods, but I have not had anyone in over three (3) years tell me the FI CBE, alone or paired with LDPs, for either the Q50 or Q60 VR30, is too loud or raspy.

If anything, the younger set wanted it louder, and they can now also choose the FI 10" Sport muffler option along with the non-resonated X-Pipe option.

Maybe you should try the HKS Resonated LDPs to cut down on the rasp...

HKS Stainless Steel Lower Downpipes, 2.5" Resonated - Infiniti Q50 / Q60 3.0T VR30DDTT 33006-BN001 Front Pipes - Concept Z Performance
  • 70% of the stock back pressure.
  • A 60mm full straight structure after the turbine position is completed with use of Full Dual Muffler.
FlowBench.jpg

Not Only for Power Increase, Silencer for Creation of Sensual Exhaust Sound.
  • The exhaust sound is tuned to be the best when using with Full Dual Muffler.
  • There is no sound cracking even at high speed range, and unpleasant exhaust resonance is drastically reduced.
I didn't say FI CBE is loud or raspy. I know its the top choice for the Q50s and Q60s.

My initial exhaust system setup was AMS LDP, Infiniti Sports Exhaust (came with the car) and I don't know the brand of the mid-pipes see attached photo (also came with the car).

It sounded great when I still had the OEM LDP. It only got really loud and raspy after installing AMS LDP.

Q60 FTW

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ There's your problem. This car has some rasp and a lot of drone without resonators, and this car--in my opinion--sounds like absolute crap with 3-inch exhaust piping (at least the low-quality custom fabricated stuff I have seen; dual 3-inch piping leads to too much open space for soundwaves to bounce around rather than flow smoothly for this engine displacement.)
Yup that was the problem. Problem solved by replacing it with Invidia Gemini CBE.

Wanted the FI CBE but was out of my budget and the lead time was too long.

Q60 FTW

·
Registered
191 Posts
So that is the state of my car. Now my question how to lauch the car to get the best time;
1) Traction control ON or OFF?
2) Use Launch Control by AMS or not? If not, at what RPM do you release the brake pedal?
3) Do you use sport shifter or you let the car do it for you? If you do it, at what RPM do you shift the gears and do you use the paddle shift or not?
  1. Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC; Infiniti's technology that includes traction control) OFF.
    • Even with AWD, 295-width tires in the rear, and sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber, I get wheel slip on street surfaces, and the last thing I want is traction control retarding power.
  2. Yes, use Launch Control. I have tested brake boosting in the past, but I have gotten inconsistent results.
    • I suspect transmission temperature has a large effect on my experience with brake boosting, but there is likely intervention from the ECM as well.
    • I found that in lieu of Launch Control, just [edit: forgot to finish my train of thought:] stay off of the throttle until go-time; these tiny turbos spool rapidly, and 1st gear is so short that the car climbs through the RPM range no problem.
  3. I always manually shift up and down gears using the center console shifter (because I, unfortunately, do not have paddle shifters--my one huge regret with my purchase).
    • I find that the shift points of this vehicle make little sense in nearly every situation, be it casual commuting into the office, driving around a track, or doing a hard pull.
    • Gears 1 and 2, I target shifting at 5800 to 6000 RPMs; gears 3 and 4, I target shifting at 6200 RPMs; gears 5 and 6, I target shifting at 6200 to 6500 RPMs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  1. Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC; Infiniti's technology that includes traction control) OFF.
    • Even with AWD, 295-width tires in the rear, and sticky Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber, I get wheel slip on street surfaces, and the last thing I want is traction control retarding power.
  2. Yes, use Launch Control. I have tested brake boosting in the past, but I have gotten inconsistent results.
    • I suspect transmission temperature has a large effect on my experience with brake boosting, but there is likely intervention from the ECM as well.
    • I found that in lieu of Launch Control, just
  3. I always manually shift up and down gears using the center console shifter (because I, unfortunately, do not have paddle shifters--my one huge regret with my purchase).
    • I find that the shift points of this vehicle make little sense in nearly every situation, be it casual commuting into the office, driving around a track, or doing a hard pull.
    • Gears 1 and 2, I target shifting at 5800 to 6000 RPMs; gears 3 and 4, I target shifting at 6200 RPMs; gears 5 and 6, I target shifting at 6200 to 6500 RPMs.
Thank you sir for the info.

Q60 FTW

·
Registered
652 Posts
Good points. I'll also add that if you want a good launch off the line, and you don't have Forward Emergency Braking (FEB), the Burger Tuning Pedal Tuner is a nice add. Certainly helps with response time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good points. I'll also add that if you want a good launch off the line, and you don't have Forward Emergency Braking (FEB), the Burger Tuning Pedal Tuner is a nice add. Certainly helps with response time.
Is the pedal tuner worth the money? I know it isn't expensive but does it deliver value for the price? Also, do you have any pics of yours installed?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Is the pedal tuner worth the money? I know it isn't expensive but does it deliver value for the price? Also, do you have any pics of yours installed?
Yes, because it cut down on the "dead spot" in the pedal response that occurs with the stock ECU algorithm. Also, with it set on its most aggressive map (of 3 options), it appears to help cut down on turbo lag, as the pedal command influences the timing advance within the ECU.

No pics of install. You need to un-bolt the pedal assembly from the floorboard to gain access to the back of the pedal assembly. Once I had settled on a setting, I tucked the controller in the dash panel above the driver's footwell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts