Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI...

I personally find the fake exhaust silly. Figured many would appreciate learning how to disable it.:)

Disclaimer: This is NOT my video.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jeez, didn't know there was any fake exhaust piped into the cabin. Ours seems very quiet.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Great find and now we know how to access the system diagnostics page. I'd rather hear nothing than fake exhaust sounds coming through the speakers, at least it'll be a nice and quiet cabin.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Great find and now we know how to access the system diagnostics page. I'd rather hear nothing than fake exhaust sounds coming through the speakers, at least it'll be a nice and quiet cabin.
Q50 - Diagnostics Mode - Infiniti Q50 Forum

Like most cars, the Q50 has a diagnostics mode that allows access to things like advanced settings, logs, and diagnostic tools.

Unless you are very comfortable, do not play with this mode. It is likely possible to “brick” your car, and could lead to safety issues.

If you are comfortable with such things, I would suggest only using “read only” things like viewing error logs.

BE CAREFUL - CHANGING SETTINGS HERE COULD DAMAGE YOUR CAR OR LEAD TO LOSS OF SAFETY FEATURES AND THUS LIVES.

How to enter:

1. Start the car.
  2. Turn Audio OFF.
  3. Hit Settings Icon.
  4. Press the “Seek/Track Up” physical button 3 times within 15 seconds.
  5. Touch the screen for 3 seconds in the area shown by the image attachment attachment. Note - the icons on your screen will likely be different. You need to touch just below the right page scroll arrow.

Diagnostic screen should display. If it doesn’t, hit Menu and try again.

The following items are available:

• Self Diagnosis Tools
  • Display Diagnostics
  • Vehicle Signals
  • Speaker Test
  • Navigation
  • Error History
  • AV COMM Disgnosis
  • Clock Setting
  • Camera Control Unit
  • SXM
  • Delete Unit Connection Log
  • Reset Settings
  • Version Information
  • Program Update
  • Switch Information
  • ANC/ASC
  • Hands Free Phone

Would be great to have someone check Error History that has had the InTouch lockup.

Reactions: T-Will

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Jeez, didn't know there was any fake exhaust piped into the cabin. Ours seems very quiet.
I'd rather hear nothing than fake exhaust sounds coming through the speakers, at least it'll be a nice and quiet cabin.
The car has to be in Sport, or Sport+ to hear it with heavy throttle.

Reactions: Foosh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to add make sure you are comfortable going into this menu and understand the risks of changing other settings.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, I disabled the ASC purely for music reasons; if i'm listening to music, whether it's EDM or Classical, I don't want to hear ANYTHING else being piped through the same speakers to degrade what i'm listening to...

That said, I don't feel as it made too much of a difference for me either way because a) i'm listening to music 99.9% of the time if i'm driving alone/commuting to and from work so exhaust is drowned out anyways and b) the only actual "fix" for improving exhaust notes from the VR30DDTT is getting an aftermarket exhaust system.

There is simply no way to audibly represent the power of an RS400 with the stock exhaust, which is why I can't wait to see some options outside of the Fast Intentions one (Nismo, Stillen, etc). Not putting a sport exhaust kit to differentiate the RS400 from the other models is really the only criticism I have for Infiniti with my Q60 (and of course Nissan will knock this out of the park with the new Z).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Disabled ASC this afternoon - easy peasy. I left ANC "Enabled".

Since I'll be getting my FI DPs and Cat-back installed in mid-February, I won't need any fake exhaust sound piped-in, anyways :)

Note: From just below the right >, I swiped slowy down from just under the > and it entered the Diagnostic Mode.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Disabled ASC this afternoon - easy peasy. I left ANC "Enabled".

Since I'll be getting my FI DPs and Cat-back installed in mid-February, I won't need any fake exhaust sound piped-in, anyways :)

Note: From just below the right >, I swiped slowy down from just under the > and it entered the Diagnostic Mode.
Can you record you gas mileage before and after new exhaust? Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did this a while back, overall quieter ride now, don't much care how it sounds to others around me all I care about is what it can actually do for me. If the FI exhaust is legal in my state (GA) and really does give another 40+ torques to the RS like it supposedly does in the Q50RS I might go for that, almost 400 torques @ wheel would be a nice boost, but for better sound who cares. Telsa "ridiculous" mode is silent and has a sub 3 second 0-60.

Ok I get it some of you do care but to me visuals aethstetics and actual performance are far more important than the sound it makes esp considering I'd rather not hear anything but what's coming from the stereo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The car has to be in Sport, or Sport+ to hear it with heavy throttle.
Yes, I've been in those modes, but we've only had it a couple of weeks, and the Q is really my wife's car. I suppose anything would sound quiet compared to my C7 Z51 convertible or recently departed Jaguar F-Type convertible.:)

BTW, I do like the car a lot, and my wife can't stop raving about it. She is totally smitten.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
500 Posts
I want to suggest getting an aftermarket exhaust to open it up a bit more but 90% of the systems out there for most vehicles just don't sound refined enough, almost to a point its better to stay stock and use those settings infiniti worked in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just to clear things up. I've asked about this extensively.

It is not "fake" engine noise. It is real engine noise, enhanced by the sound system.

Personally, I like it. Sometimes I put mine in Sport+ on the way up the hill to my house, just to hear it.

Plus, a caveat:
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL IF YOU'RE MESSING AROUND IN THAT DIAGNOSTICS MODE. DID I SAY THAT LOUD ENOUGH? YOU MESS UP YOUR OWN CAR IN THERE AND CHANCES ARE, NO TECH IS GOING TO BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU DID.

Now. All that said. Which one of you geniuses is going to figure out how to make the default mode for the car be Sport+ instead of "Standard". That would earn some fans in the Q50 and Q60 forums. People ask this all the freakin time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is not "fake" engine noise. It is real engine noise, enhanced by the sound system.
Sure it might be real engine noise, but the fact that it's pumped through the speakers means the overall engine sound one is hearing in the cabin is augmented, and therefore not 100% 'genuine.'

Having said that, I too never had an issue with the ACS, and to be perfectly honest I can BARELY tell the difference since i've turned it off...but I have left it off purely so that the only sound i'm hearing from the speakers is the music i'm choosing to listen to with no 'additional' sounds muddying up the tunes. :p

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Sure it might be real engine noise, but the fact that it's pumped through the speakers means the overall engine sound one is hearing in the cabin is augmented, and therefore not 100% 'genuine.'

Having said that, I too never had an issue with the ACS, and to be perfectly honest I can BARELY tell the difference since i've turned it off...but I have left it off purely so that the only sound i'm hearing from the speakers is the music i'm choosing to listen to with no 'additional' sounds muddying up the tunes. :p
I guess the rock bands I listen to are pumped through the speakers and not 100% 'genuine'. :D

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess the rock bands I listen to are pumped through the speakers and not 100% 'genuine'. :D
Lol, not nearly the same thing, come on now...maybe genuine isn't the correct terminology, but the sound is certainly 'enhanced/augmented' :eek:

I have zero issues with the ACS as i've said multiple times, but let's call a spade a spade...ACS is simply not "natural" when engine sound is being aided by the speakers to play back augmented acoustics to the driver/passengers. Yes, it might all be sound from the engine itself, but it's pumped digitally through the speakers and with other manufacturers' version of ACS, is indeed 'fake' engine sounds altogether.

What you would hear on an identical car without ACS as even an option is, however subtle, different from what you hear on a car with ACS on...therefore, the engine sound in the cabin is enhanced and automatically unnatural when assisted by the speakers. There's really no need to try and reason or logic our way around the facts, lol...it all comes down to personal preference. The reason ACS exists in the first place is to make a car's engine sound powerful in the cabin because that power is what we all want to hear...the Chicago Tribune did a piece on this a couple years back:

America's best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies: The rise of fake engine noise - Chicago Tribune

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Lol, not nearly the same thing, come on now...maybe genuine isn't the correct terminology, but the sound is certainly 'enhanced/augmented' :eek:

I have zero issues with the ACS as i've said multiple times, but let's call a spade a spade...ACS is simply not "natural" when engine sound is being aided by the speakers to play back augmented acoustics to the driver/passengers. Yes, it might all be sound from the engine itself, but it's pumped digitally through the speakers and with other manufacturers' version of ACS, is indeed 'fake' engine sounds altogether.

What you would hear on an identical car without ACS as even an option is, however subtle, different from what you hear on a car with ACS on...therefore, the engine sound in the cabin is enhanced and automatically unnatural when assisted by the speakers. There's really no need to try and reason or logic our way around the facts, lol...it all comes down to personal preference. The reason ACS exists in the first place is to make a car's engine sound powerful in the cabin because that power is what we all want to hear...the Chicago Tribune did a piece on this a couple years back:

America's best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies: The rise of fake engine noise - Chicago Tribune
Well, if a manufacturer uses sound insulation to give the occupants a quiet ride, that's going to hide the engine sound/noise too. Road noise is a factor for a lot of folks, especially if they're spending more than $50K for a car. That's why we have "Active noise cancellation". I haven't noticed anyone turning that off.

Reactions: Foosh

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's more like you go to a live rock concert and they "enhance" their sound by using prerecorded tracks and faking it
You calling our cars "Milli Vanilli?"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts