Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’ve had this thing for a few weeks now, granted one of those weeks was a holiday week that I was sick for most of, but I have managed to get some miles in here and there in a variety of driving conditions, including the first rain we’ve had in like 3 months. For the record, I have an AWD RS400 Sunstone Red with Monaco Red interior with all available packages, i.e. the works. Gallery here.

First off I want to talk about what I expect and want in a car like this, and what I don’t want or expect. I am not looking for a track car. This thing will never go to the track or be in any kind of race except the daily rat race. I do want a car that can get me from point A to point B safely, reliably, and comfortably as fast as I’d care to go, and since this is the future and all, while making doing so as easy as possible. To which car A having a 0.1 faster 0-60 and a 0.2 faster quarter mile and a 2” smaller turning radius isn’t going to significantly impact my daily commute as much as car B having more/better autonomous features.

So, let’s get started with the things I like, in no particular order:
• Camera array above rear view mirror – Part of the tech package, completely obscures the area above the rear view mirror leaving no room what so ever to let the sunlight come in when it’s low on the horizon but just high enough where it would come in over that gap that normally exists above the mirror, no more being blinded and having to sit way up or slump way down.
• Outside temp always displayed in dash – The old G37/Q60 had external temp as one of the display options on the center console. The redesign has it always visible above the center console display meaning you can now use the center display for something other than just temperature.
• Auto steering wheel and seat heaters – The car can tell when it’s cold or not, and while some lament the integration of many of the climate controls into the dash UI as long as I can set most to all of them to some sort of auto mode and then forget about them forever and just have a warm seat and steering wheel when it’s cold out and not when it’s warm they can hide anything they want.
• Incredibly bright front turn signals – Yeah, the entire “eyeliner” part of the headlight eye scheme that glows white with running lights is also the turn signal. I’ve never seen a turn signal light up street signs down the road and suspended overhead like these do, these turn signals will be seen.
• No stupid Idle Stop Start – I saw some stuff in the info about this “feature” and how to temporarily disable it every time you get in the car and was afraid it might have it, but it does not. Yay!
• Remote start – I know it’s fairly common these days but I’m liking this more than I thought I would, the phone app needs to be better but it’s functional
• DAS/lane assist/brake assist – Let’s start with DAS. I know a lot of people don’t like DAS. I do like DAS. Seriously **** the road, I don’t want to feel it, I don’t care what it’s trying to make me do I want my car to do what I tell it to and not fight me on it. That said while DAS eliminates feedback due to road conditions, when combined with the tech package it gives you a new kind of feedback. A virtual feedback based on what you should be doing instead of whatever way the road is messed up. For instance, with lane assist if you try to make a lane change without a blinker or just start to drift a bit it will start to feel like there’s a bit of a rut in the road pushing your car in the direction of the lane. If you push through this rut it will let you drift between lanes at will without any more complaint and if you don’t keep forcing it this “rut” will keep you in the lane and going down the road. You can feel this “rut” if you tend to take corners or drive closer to one line or the other than the system would prefer in which case it’s a gentle nudge the direction you probably want to go anyway. Braking assist is awesome because instead of constantly pumping your breaks to slow down now I can just come off the gas and the car will handle not hitting whatever it is in front of me, I just hover over the brake in case it’s not really doing what it should but in most cases it can bring you to a complete stop or at least slow you enough to let you make it through a slow spot in traffic without ever having to really hit the brakes, just pump the gas. Driver assistance is definitely a new way to drive and definitely takes some of the load off. Having the car able to have your back in situations where there’s cars in front and all sides definitely increases your safety margin.
• Analog gages – I know a lot of people like digital but I’m old school and have always felt speed and tach should be analog. Fast changing values can be difficult to track on digital displays and meters due to refresh rates and such. Analog to me has always given a better feeling of the information being displayed.
• Integration between displays – Old G37/Q60 had no real link between the infotainment display and the dash display, with the new setup all 3 dispays seem linked, info from one can affect or be displayed on the other two in many cases, and they all seem part of the same system now instead of multiple systems that could sometimes display similar info.

Things I dislike:
• Performance, assisted driving, and app display not saved between drives – Like seriously why do I have to turn on driver assistance, set the performance settings to sports plus, and activate the audio display every time I start the car. Why can’t it remember the last app I had visible on the bottom display, remember I want driver assistance on, and remember I like a sporty feel. Whatever bullshit excuse Infiniti has for resetting these each time is wrong, I should at least have the option to remember them.
• Dash lighter tray area smaller than 1st gen Q60 – I can’t store business cards in it, if it was like a half inch deeper it would be fine, the old ash tray could fit my old iPhone 5 in it. Just wish it was a smidge bigger.
• No card clip above passenger side sun visor – Old G37/Q60 had this small plastic clip in the headliner above the passenger’s side sun visor. This small clip was just the right size to stick your registration and proof of insurance right there so if you ever did get pulled over in this age of jumpy cops instead of rooting around in your glove box you could keep your hands visible at all times as you reached up and grabbed what you needed from that handy clip. I presume this wasn’t removed so much as they forgot to add it back in.
• No hand hold to get in and out – Not sure why this was removed, was nice for older folk to be able to grab something to lift themselves out of the car instead of having to reach out and grab the exterior to life themselves out.
• Tech package front grill insignia is flat plastic graphic instead of the normal 3D raised insignia – What the **** Infiniti?!? You neuter your iconic front badge if you get the tech package? I assume this has something to do with the camera or one of the forward sensors but whatever engineer decided the best way to handle this was to effectively eliminate the insignia needs to be fired and whatever exec that approved this fuckery also needs to be fired. There had to have been another better way to do this.
• Sun glasses holder still garbage for curved glasses like Oakley’s – The sunglass holder still sucks for Oakley’s or any other type of curved lens, actually I think it sucks a bit more, they fit even worse than in the 2014.
• LED lights subpar to projector HIDs – I don’t quite understand this whole “ZOMG LED HEADLIGHTS” thing. They’re not significantly better than HID Xenon bulbs in power usage or life span, and LEDs get dimmer over time where HIDs tend to hold their brightness until they catastrophically fail. Additionally, with projector headlamps the difference between high and low beams is a small mechanical flap in the headlamp that moves up or down depending if you want highs or lows blocking light from the upper part of the beam in low and allowing the full beam to shine in high. With these stupid LED lamps, you have one set for highs and one for lows so there’s overlap now, and they’re slightly different CRI so the line between them is now visible. Projector beams are in all ways superior to how they did them on this car and I think HID Xenon’s will turn out to perform better in the long run.
• Auto high beams disable fog lamps – Normally if you have low beams on you can also use your fog lamps but if you use the auto high beam feature of the tech package where you place the headlamps in auto and activate highs, it disables the fog lamps at all times. Should still be able to have them on when in auto low.
• Glove box feels smaller – Some of the things I could easily fit in the old one I can no longer fit in this one, if it’s not smaller volumetrically then it’s at least not as deep.
• Lack of mechanical limited slip diff – Brake controlled limited slip will never be as effective as a differential that physically locks. Really should have a real limited slip.

There’s one last thing I wish it had that’s kinda silly but with everything else it has shouldn’t be too hard to implement and would really sooth a lot of people’s OCD:
• Turn signal syncing – Imagine if you would a moment you pull up to a left turn lane and flip on your turn signal and you notice that no matter who you pull up behind your little clicking noise and blinking lights are always in sync with the car in front of you, or if they turn theirs on after you do yours will quickly sync up and stay in sync. Just use that forward sensing camera to lock onto the turn signal of the car in front of you and sync the timing and delay of your lights to theirs for a nice soothing wait instead of that jarring mismatch so many people hate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks, Dragon. Loved reading all that. I got a kick out of your one last thing because when I pull up behind someone like that I'm constantly trying to find a car that I'm in sync with, but alas it always drifts. Oh well.

Hey, when you said...
"Remote start – I know it’s fairly common these days but I’m liking this more than I thought I would, the phone app needs to be better but it’s functional"
...are you saying the phone app can start your car - like a Viper SmartStart system?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, when you said...
"Remote start – I know it’s fairly common these days but I’m liking this more than I thought I would, the phone app needs to be better but it’s functional"
...are you saying the phone app can start your car - like a Viper SmartStart system?
You can lock, unlock, start and stop engine, flash lights, and honk horn from the remote app. Part of the intouch service which apparently includes a 2 year trial when you get the car and then is like 200/year or something like that after for basic and another 120 or 150 for the move advanced features. I'll probably renew when it comes up. Same service includes ability to download destinations to the car, tracking if stolen, few other things. But yeah the car has something like onstar built in, 3G connection, can do most of the stuff the remote can do but from your phone without distance restrictions. For instance could start your car on a cold/hot day before you leave your desk so it's had a chance to cool off/warm up before you get to the parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I thought the lights being out of sequence thing was only something my OCD mind struggled with...good to know I'm not alone.

Btw, I especially hate those cars where the blinker goes off three times to every one of yours..it's like you're caught up in some weird kind of night terror....but you're awake!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I thought the lights being out of sequence thing was only something my OCD mind struggled with...good to know I'm not alone.

Btw, I especially hate those cars where the blinker goes off three times to every one of yours..it's like you're caught up in some weird kind of night terror....but you're awake!!
Ha, you're not alone. It really made me laugh seeing you guys thinking about too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can lock, unlock, start and stop engine, flash lights, and honk horn from the remote app. Part of the intouch service which apparently includes a 2 year trial when you get the car and then is like 200/year or something like that after for basic and another 120 or 150 for the move advanced features. I'll probably renew when it comes up. Same service includes ability to download destinations to the car, tracking if stolen, few other things. But yeah the car has something like onstar built in, 3G connection, can do most of the stuff the remote can do but from your phone without distance restrictions. For instance could start your car on a cold/hot day before you leave your desk so it's had a chance to cool off/warm up before you get to the parking lot.
You've made my day. I had scoured the web for that information and I'm not sure why I couldn't find it being it obviously works like this. I had installed a Viper SmartStart in my G, which did the same thing, and I was really going to miss that feature but didn't want to take it out reinstall it. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, I’ve had this thing for a few weeks now, granted one of those weeks was a holiday week that I was sick for most of, but I have managed to get some miles in here and there in a variety of driving conditions, including the first rain we’ve had in like 3 months. For the record, I have an AWD RS400 Sunstone Red with Monaco Red interior with all available packages, i.e. the works. Gallery here.
I wasn't able to see your gallery. No live account

• Dash lighter tray area smaller than 1st gen Q60 – I can’t store business cards in it, if it was like a half inch deeper it would be fine, the old ash tray could fit my old iPhone 5 in it. Just wish it was a smidge bigger.
• No card clip above passenger side sun visor – Old G37/Q60 had this small plastic clip in the headliner above the passenger’s side sun visor. This small clip was just the right size to stick your registration and proof of insurance right there so if you ever did get pulled over in this age of jumpy cops instead of rooting around in your glove box you could keep your hands visible at all times as you reached up and grabbed what you needed from that handy clip. I presume this wasn’t removed so much as they forgot to add it back in.
• No hand hold to get in and out – Not sure why this was removed, was nice for older folk to be able to grab something to lift themselves out of the car instead of having to reach out and grab the exterior to life themselves out.
• Sun glasses holder still garbage for curved glasses like Oakley’s – The sunglass holder still sucks for Oakley’s or any other type of curved lens, actually I think it sucks a bit more, they fit even worse than in the 2014.
• Glove box feels smaller – Some of the things I could easily fit in the old one I can no longer fit in this one, if it’s not smaller volumetrically then it’s at least not as deep.
Yeah the storage in our cars is really horrible, I 100% agree.

The ashtray area is completely useless for me, I tried putting my loose change in there and realized it's a bitch to retrieve anything from that area. So I put all my change in that slit in the back of the center storage, which is where I also have to place pens.

The glove box is truly pathetic though - you can fit more inside of a Miata's glove box than the one in our car. I am forced to put any documents and folders I have in the pouches behind the front seats, which is really inconvenient if I need to reach for something during a call. I end up throwing some on top of the dashboard and watch them fly to the passenger side when I turn right. Really annoying

Not having a "wimp bar" for passengers to hang onto when you bust out a tight turn also sucks as well like you mentioned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must have some other really rare form of OCD.... because my "thing" with the blinker has always been when I flip my blinker on at a stop light... and the blinker tone/flash seems to be right along with whatever music I am listening to.... only to slightly be too slow or fast after a few seconds! Same thing with wiper blades... lol.

@Dragon, given your expectations you had for the car, would you say that overall they are met? Surpassed? Were you considering any other cars before you purchased your Q60?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts