Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a opportunity to try out the new Infiniti Performance Brake Pads on my 2017 RS RWD. Sid from Duluth Infiniti sent me a pair for free so that I could test and review these. Throughout the full process he has emphasized that he wants a very honest review for the community to benefit from. So let's go ahead with the review.

Why you should listen to me:
I am a former HPDE instructor and used to do a lot of track events around me. These were all done in my BMW M3 and I have tried at least 10 different street compounds and about 5 race compounds. Today I am a normal car enthusiast like most people on this forum that values good quality parts that do not sacrifice NVH (noise, vibration, harness) as my Q50 is my daily driver.

I have had these pads on my car for over a month now and have used them in all normal driving conditions, except track time.

Brake Noise:
When you first turn on your car in the morning and back out of your garage/driveway, the brake do squeal. After this first time, the brakes are dead silent in both normal and emergency braking situations.

Brake Dust:
Most of my life, I have despised stock brake pads. Almost all manufactures use pads that produce a TON of brake dust. As someone who likes to keep my car clean, brake dust annoys the **** out of me. These performance brake pads do produce some brake dust, but its about a 90% reduction compared to the stock pads provided when buying your car.

I've used Axxis Deluxe, Akebono Performance, Akebono ProAct, Hawk Ceramic and probably a couple more low dust pads in the past. I can confidently say that the only pads that produce lower dust compared to the Infiniti Performance pads is the Akebono ProAct.

Initial Bite:
Initial Bite gives confidence to people that their brakes are performing well. Its something I personally value in brake pads and is always a must for me. The initial bite on these brake pads is great, you get a good feeling when first pressing the pedal down, but its not an overwhelming amount. In my opinion, its perfect.

Pedal Modularity & Torque:
These pads have excellent modularity & ultimate torque of the pads is a lot higher than the stock pads. I have always felt that the stocks pads were not strong enough when having to brake hard on the freeway, but the Infiniti Performance pads fill that gap.

Install:
Install is just like most brake pads, the only difference is that a small pack of Molykote is to be applied between the back of the pad and the metal shim. It is provided for you. The part number for more Molykote is D400C-CD01B.

Part Number:
Since my car is a redsport, the pads are for the Akebono Calipers. The part numbers that applied to my car are the following: DA06M-JL00K-NW & DD06M-JL00K-NW.

Conclusion:
While I normally would never consider using "performance" pads from any car manufacturer, these pads are very worthy and are inline with prices for aftermarket brands. I personally see no need to change to pads from Hawk, Akebono, Carbotech or the like.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I wonder why the RS doesn't get these pads from the get go. I hadn't heard there were replacement "Performance" pads and I wonder what the cost for these is from Infiniti. Will need to look em up later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
less than $50 per axle!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I wonder why the RS doesn't get these pads from the get go. I hadn't heard there were replacement "Performance" pads and I wonder what the cost for these is from Infiniti. Will need to look em up later.
Hello testrage,

Now that I've got my vendorship for the forum squared away, I'll be doing a post for these very soon.

Quick not, though, it the front and rear pads in the Maintenance Advantage Line are only available for the Akebono sport brakes at the moment. Part numbers are as follow:

Front pad set, D1060-JL00J (Factory) => DA06M-JL00KNW (Maintenance Advantage)
Rear pad set, D4060-JL00J (Factory) => DD06M-JL00KNW (Maintenance Advantage)

For the non-Sport models, this is what we're looking at as of current:

Front pad set, D1060-4GA0A (Factory) => Not available yet in Maintenance Advantage
Rear pad set, D4060-1MB0A (Factory) => DD06M-8H38KNW (Maintenance Advantage)

When you are ready or interested in your sets, please PM me!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Great write-up and pretty much covers all bases for pad shoppers. I assume the initial brake noise will go away once they've warmed up a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been a ghost on this forum for awhile, just registered.....Excellent Forum!

This topic has been of interest as I'm due for new brakes on my 2011 G37S. Thank you mpegripper, your description has really helped me decide to go in this direction. And big thanks to di_parts........I believe I am currently working with you on my order.

I do want to share that there seems to be two compounds in the 'Advantage' product line for these brake pads, 'TNW' and 'KNW' (last three of part number). The KNW appears to be the ceramic compound and I suspect the TNW is a semi-metallic compound. Several online part vendors mention that the TNW replaces the KNW.

I suspect this review is based off the KNW compound.

Once I get the correct front pads to match the rear pad compound I'll update with my impression..........not as experienced as mepgripper but I do enjoy a solid braking system for street driving.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I've been a ghost on this forum for awhile, just registered.....Excellent Forum!

This topic has been of interest as I'm due for new brakes on my 2011 G37S. Thank you mpegripper, your description has really helped me decide to go in this direction. And big thanks to di_parts........I believe I am currently working with you on my order.

I do want to share that there seems to be two compounds in the 'Advantage' product line for these brake pads, 'TNW' and 'KNW' (last three of part number). The KNW appears to be the ceramic compound and I suspect the TNW is a semi-metallic compound. Several online part vendors mention that the TNW replaces the KNW.

I suspect this review is based off the KNW compound.

Once I get the correct front pads to match the rear pad compound I'll update with my impression..........not as experienced as mepgripper but I do enjoy a solid braking system for street driving.

I’ll have to shoot a message to my wholesale rep to track that down. Last info given was all are a ceramic pads.

Definitely have had good feedback on these even on the TNW sets.

So, for the suffix: all KNW pads have been replaced my TNW. The notable difference is the TNW pad sets have been coming with additional hardware like end clips or the pins for the sport pads.

If your going through Discount Infiniti Parts, that’s definitely us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
please do a review when you get the new pads. i'd like to entertain getting the semi-metallics if that's the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed about 1 month ago

What I was seeking in this set up;

My wife drives this vehicle more than I do, so the setup is considerate of her driving style. When I drive the car I enjoy the performance much more than she does. I defiantly like the limited slip, the upgraded sport brakes (Akebono), the summer compound tires and look for opportunities to feel them in my ‘spirited’ driving. I don’t track this car and my style of spirited driving does not place an extended heat load/cycle on the system. I had previously installed SS brake lines and just had the brake fluid flushed recently. I’ve done plenty of brakes and have come to realize that the choice of rotors and pads will influence the overall braking experience.

• Avoid noise, vibration and harshness (NVH)
• Very good initial bite but not extremely touchy
• Excellent stopping power 100 down
• Excellent modulation
• Not too dirty

I considered going with 2-piece rotors. I guess I’ll always wonder how they would feel and improve the experience, but in this case I was concerned with reported noise that the design can produce at the coupling point of the hat and ring. I did not want to have to explain to my wife how exceptional that design really is…..but can make noise too……she just would not understand. Additionally, I may not keep this car too much longer and the added expense just did not add up for this application.

Rotors;
• Fronts are 125 series Centric. No slots or drills. High carbon, not cryogenic treated.
• Rears are 120 series Centric. They don’t make a 125 series for this car on the rear

Pads
• DA06M-JL00TNW (front)
• DD06M-JL00TNW (rear)

The rotor choice was influenced by researching many reviews. It was the Subaru forums that convinced me to go this direction. These guys hammer their brakes routinely and emphasize performance, they often use these rotors in track and autocross noting minimal benefit from more expensive solutions. They also apply a theory that they will replace braking components often and find these a good value. I also think the smooth surface promotes minimal NVH.

The pad choice was mind boggling. In the end, it was the write up of mpegripper that helped me decide to try the Infiniti Maintained Advantage pads.

Install

The fitment is OEM perfect. However, I found these pads metal backing plate is stoutly secured with adhesive. To follow the recommendation to remove this plate and coat with moly between that plate and the pad seemed like I would deform the metal plate. Comparing these pads to the old factory pads I found that they too have this metal backing plate glued on then have a SS shim cover between the pads metal backing and the caliper pistons. I choice to clean up the SS metal shim from the factory setup and coat with moly between the SS shim cover and the pads metal plate without prying apart the plate from the pad. Maybe that’s not correct, time will tell is squealing develops. So far so good.

I ordered new cross springs which also come with new pins and clips. The pad kit also includes pins and clips as well. Interesting, both pin sets are longer than the original pins. While they will work fine, they both will protrude ‘proud’ from the caliper body facing out towards the wheel. Additionally, the heads on the replacement pins are smooth and do not benefit from the Phillips type head the original pins have. I cleaned up the original pins and used them as I preferred the flush fit and found the Philips head handy to help rotate the head and present the clip holes precisely.

Bedding the new setup

It was not easy to find specific bedding instructions for these pads. The two reference points are from the Akebono website and brochures “No Break-In required” for their products listed; and the Factory Service Manual. Additionally, I’m not sure these pads are Akebono products. The old factory pads clearly are labeled “Nissan” and have AB stamped on them. These Maintenance Advantage have neither and only a white lettering “124 C620 FF N17”, which I could not associate with any common brake pad manufacture.

I generally followed the FSM guidelines;

“1. Drive vehicle on straight, flat road.
2. Depress brake pedal with the power to stop vehicle within 3 to 5 seconds until the vehicle stops.
3. Drive without depressing brake for a few minutes to cool the brake.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 until pad and disc rotor are securely fitted.”

Three firm decelerations from ~45 mph to 5 mph. Each was timed to take ~3-5 seconds in deceleration, not a full cool down but not too rapid in secession…..about 20-30 seconds apart. I avoided coming to a full stop and allowed plenty of cooling time before continuing on a tight hilly road where it’s hard to find 50 mph anywhere and must reduce to 15 in many spots. Traveled this route for about 10 minutes. I did not threshold brake, but was firm at times (short duration). Overall the 10 minute drive was less than ‘spirited’, I would say moderate. Again, allowed plenty of cooling before parking it at home.

I allowed about 500 miles of additional normal driving before writing this review.
My impression:
• No NVH, very smooth, no squeal cold/backing/anytime
• Initial bite just about right, I would live with a bit more. The first couple of cold stops are like a standard brake set-up, then after that the bite improves, slightly more than my previous factory pads, but obviously these pads are not intended to feel ‘tacky’ at the initial bite.
• Very good++ on torque, comes on strong mid brake pressure and provides a confident feel.
• Modulation is excellent. The torque builds progressively and releases progressively, easy to finesse setting up a turn or even mid turn if necessary.
• Brake dust is level is low.

Overall, this setup up is an excellent balance of performance and civil manners. I very happy with it.

Thank you Sid and DPinfiniti!!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Installed about 1 month ago

What I was seeking in this set up;

My wife drives this vehicle more than I do, so the setup is considerate of her driving style. When I drive the car I enjoy the performance much more than she does. I defiantly like the limited slip, the upgraded sport brakes (Akebono), the summer compound tires and look for opportunities to feel them in my ‘spirited’ driving. I don’t track this car and my style of spirited driving does not place an extended heat load/cycle on the system. I had previously installed SS brake lines and just had the brake fluid flushed recently. I’ve done plenty of brakes and have come to realize that the choice of rotors and pads will influence the overall braking experience.

•Avoid noise, vibration and harshness (NVH)
•Very good initial bite but not extremely touchy
•Excellent stopping power 100 down
•Excellent modulation
•Not too dirty

I considered going with 2-piece rotors. I guess I’ll always wonder how they would feel and improve the experience, but in this case I was concerned with reported noise that the design can produce at the coupling point of the hat and ring. I did not want to have to explain to my wife how exceptional that design really is…..but can make noise too……she just would not understand. Additionally, I may not keep this car too much longer and the added expense just did not add up for this application.

Rotors;
•Fronts are 125 series Centric. No slots or drills. High carbon, not cryogenic treated.
•Rears are 120 series Centric. They don’t make a 125 series for this car on the rear

Pads
•DA06M-JL00TNW (front)
•DD06M-JL00TNW (rear)

The rotor choice was influenced by researching many reviews. It was the Subaru forums that convinced me to go this direction. These guys hammer their brakes routinely and emphasize performance, they often use these rotors in track and autocross noting minimal benefit from more expensive solutions. They also apply a theory that they will replace braking components often and find these a good value. I also think the smooth surface promotes minimal NVH.

The pad choice was mind boggling. In the end, it was the write up of mpegripper that helped me decide to try the Infiniti Maintained Advantage pads.

Install

The fitment is OEM perfect. However, I found these pads metal backing plate is stoutly secured with adhesive. To follow the recommendation to remove this plate and coat with moly between that plate and the pad seemed like I would deform the metal plate. Comparing these pads to the old factory pads I found that they too have this metal backing plate glued on then have a SS shim cover between the pads metal backing and the caliper pistons. I choice to clean up the SS metal shim from the factory setup and coat with moly between the SS shim cover and the pads metal plate without prying apart the plate from the pad. Maybe that’s not correct, time will tell is squealing develops. So far so good.

I ordered new cross springs which also come with new pins and clips. The pad kit also includes pins and clips as well. Interesting, both pin sets are longer than the original pins. While they will work fine, they both will protrude ‘proud’ from the caliper body facing out towards the wheel. Additionally, the heads on the replacement pins are smooth and do not benefit from the Phillips type head the original pins have. I cleaned up the original pins and used them as I preferred the flush fit and found the Philips head handy to help rotate the head and present the clip holes precisely.

Bedding the new setup

It was not easy to find specific bedding instructions for these pads. The two reference points are from the Akebono website and brochures “No Break-In required” for their products listed; and the Factory Service Manual. Additionally, I’m not sure these pads are Akebono products. The old factory pads clearly are labeled “Nissan” and have AB stamped on them. These Maintenance Advantage have neither and only a white lettering “124 C620 FF N17”, which I could not associate with any common brake pad manufacture.

I generally followed the FSM guidelines;

“1. Drive vehicle on straight, flat road.
2. Depress brake pedal with the power to stop vehicle within 3 to 5 seconds until the vehicle stops.
3. Drive without depressing brake for a few minutes to cool the brake.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 until pad and disc rotor are securely fitted.”

Three firm decelerations from ~45 mph to 5 mph. Each was timed to take ~3-5 seconds in deceleration, not a full cool down but not too rapid in secession…..about 20-30 seconds apart. I avoided coming to a full stop and allowed plenty of cooling time before continuing on a tight hilly road where it’s hard to find 50 mph anywhere and must reduce to 15 in many spots. Traveled this route for about 10 minutes. I did not threshold brake, but was firm at times (short duration). Overall the 10 minute drive was less than ‘spirited’, I would say moderate. Again, allowed plenty of cooling before parking it at home.

I allowed about 500 miles of additional normal driving before writing this review.
My impression:
•No NVH, very smooth, no squeal cold/backing/anytime
•Initial bite just about right, I would live with a bit more. The first couple of cold stops are like a standard brake set-up, then after that the bite improves, slightly more than my previous factory pads, but obviously these pads are not intended to feel ‘tacky’ at the initial bite.
•Very good++ on torque, comes on strong mid brake pressure and provides a confident feel.
•Modulation is excellent. The torque builds progressively and releases progressively, easy to finesse setting up a turn or even mid turn if necessary.
•Brake dust is level is low.

Overall, this setup up is an excellent balance of performance and civil manners. I very happy with it.

Thank you Sid and DPinfiniti!!

Incredible write up! Thanks immensely for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Official word from Infiniti/Nissan regarding the pad composition as the appearance of the pads changed when all were superseded from the "KNW" suffix to the "TNW."

"All Infiniti Maintenance Advantage brake pads are ceramic pads.
The reason there may be a visual difference is that the TNW IMA pads are ceramic copper free.

In 2010, California and Washington St. passed legislation that by 2021, all brake pads will have less than 5% copper in their material.
Many other states are following this trend.

By 2025, all brake pads are to have less than .05% copper material.

Nissan and Infiniti are ahead of this requirement.

Apparently, the traces of copper released from the brake pad when braking migrates to the water shed and harms fish and other aquatic species."

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
This is carried over from the Q50 forum as the info is the same to date.

OEM===========>Maintenance Advantage

2017+ Q60 non-sport brake pads and rotors:

Front pads: D1060-4GA0A====>Not currently available
Front rotor: 40206-4GA0A====>Not currently available

Rear pads: D4060-1MB0A====>DD06M-8H38TNW
Rear rotor: 43206-CK000====>D3206-CK00KNW

2017+ Q60 sport brake pads:

Front pads: D1060-JL00J====>DA06M-JL00TNW
Front rotor: 40206-JL00A====>D0206-JL00KNW

Rear pads: D4060-JL00J====>DD06M-JL00TNW
Rear rotor: 43206-1CA0A====>D3206-1CA0KNW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts