Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Infiniti is coming out with a new performance line of vehicles called its Red Sport 400 series. The Q50 S and Q60S, both with a 400-hp twin-turbo V6 engine, constitute this new endeavour.

The brand is quick to point out these new vehicles are not meant to be challengers to Mercedes-AMG and BMW M. Keith St. Clair, Infiniti's head of product strategy, calls this program "midperformance". This is what Infiniti is offering instead of the Eau Rouge Q50, and is meant to be a stepping stone on the way to a full-on performance line.

It's a good move for Infiniti since it allows them to make performance-oriented vehicles without being measured against the M5 or E63.

Infiniti Won't Take On BMW M or Mercedes-AMG (Yet)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Probably a good idea because I don't think Infiniti can take on the Germans just yet and that's what they would have needed to do with the Eau Rouge Q50. Let the German brands and Lexus duke it out and they can their slice of the pie under them but at some point they'll still need to come out with a halo car.

Still hoping for the Eau Rouge Q50 but until it does become a reality, the Q60S will do just as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
From what I can make of this it's something that sits inbetween a M435i and M4, or some might even say it's positioned like an M435i.

Good starting point for the brand, hopefully they actually do end up offering something like the Q50 Eau Rouge. Lexus has sort of done it with the RC-F but something a bit more potent would go a long way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think this is a great stepping stone for the brand. They need to focus on their volume models first. After they have a complete lineup, they can then expand to really pushing themselves in terms of performance vehicles. In the meantime, its good to have higher power versions to attract buyers who are looking for that extra boost.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good move on their part, save the large amount of money that they would need to funnel into a halo car and continue with their higher spec trims for already available cars with the savings. This way, they can cater to luxury enthusiasts without breaking the bank.

Probably going to see the Q80 concept come to life before the Q50 Eau Rouge. Francois Bancon, Infiniti Vice President, Product Strategy said the "Q80 Inspiration is a concept vehicle, but there is a production intent associated with it,".

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with that. Though even before we get a Q80, we may see some of the crossovers updated and brought into the new design aesthetic.

·
Registered
500 Posts
yeah it's the way to do it.
the vehicle just released, no point putting in all they have planned into it right now, being patient and allowing things to progress over a long period of time is the way to go. If they can't get the regular Q60 trims to sell, there's no point in offering higher more expensive trims.

·
Registered
591 Posts
well the starting price for the Q50 is $34,855 and the red version is around $40,000 so around 5k more. Not too bad if that same price difference applies for the Q60.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That sounds about right but I was guessing a bit more since at that point it leaves a good gap between it and the RC-F by about more than $10,000, enough to have someone seriously think about the difference in price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True. Infiniti is definitely banking on offering the same for a much more reasonable price. That can also make them seem like they aren't in the same luxury class as some of the brands that they are trying to compete with. I suppose if they priced on par they wouldn't sell much at all though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wouldn't say the same for a much more reasonable price, they just found a medium between where they are probably going and then not doing it at all, that's what they're banking on.

It's just a much lower risk approach all while probing the market.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well there also is the RC F-Sport, that starts out around $44,000, something to consider, so factoring in what we know about the RC and this Infiniti, right around the high $40k to low $50k range seems about where it should be to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Think the infiniti Q60 Red Sport will be able to draw people away from the Mercedes AMG and BMW M? It's got a substantial amount of hp and it will most likely cost less to purchase.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think so. I think if people have the money for the AMG or M cars, they will get those. If they don't, then they could be drawn to the Red Sport Q60 as an affordable but still performance-oriented car.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Think the infiniti Q60 Red Sport will be able to draw people away from the Mercedes AMG and BMW M? It's got a substantial amount of hp and it will most likely cost less to purchase.
The people into those and really like them will find it hard to go any other way than up, so i won't expect to see them come to this level, however there are some like those that own a CLA 250 and want something more but not with the headache that could come with it, in that case a red sport could be what they need.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They have already started production of the engines so it shouldn't be a terribly long time for them to be available.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts