Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
For those not in the Q50/Q60 FB group, someone just posted the official Infiniti Bulletin sent out to dealerships regarding the drive belt issue; check your VIN range/manufacturing date to see if your Q60 is affected, or just take it in to your dealership if you want peace of mind.

This issue has been taking out Q50 Red Sports (same engine in Q60 RS 400s obv) left and right for a while now...there was another thread here with one example of a Q60 that had this happen, but that's the only case of an affected Q60 i've seen so far...it's only a matter of time though if you have an affected vehicle probably.

Pics of affected range via FB:

People will be covered via warranty/lemon laws, etc., but this is still a potentially dangerous issue depending on the road situation, etc...always good to be aware!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the drive belt, but mine makes a constant clicking noise when the engine is running. I've also noticed there's a clicking (different/same?) when I just have ACC on. Has anyone else noticed this? I had my dealer check it out. The tech said it was normal, but couldn't tell me what it was or why, so I didn't come away feeling very assured.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the drive belt, but mine makes a constant clicking noise when the engine is running. I've also noticed there's a clicking (different/same?) when I just have ACC on. Has anyone else noticed this? I had my dealer check it out. The tech said it was normal, but couldn't tell me what it was or why, so I didn't come away feeling very assured.
The clutch on the A/C will click as the compressor is engaged and disengaged, but it's not a constant click. Mine only makes bizarre sounds at start up but it has always done this.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
For those not in the Q50/Q60 FB group, someone just posted the official Infiniti Bulletin sent out to dealerships regarding the timing belt issue; check your VIN range/manufacturing date to see if your Q60 is affected, or just take it in to your dealership if you want peace of mind.

This issue has been taking out Q50 Red Sports (same engine in Q60 RS 400s obv) left and right for a while now...there was another thread here with one example of a Q60 that had this happen, but that's the only case of an affected Q60 i've seen so far...it's only a matter of time though if you have an affected vehicle probably.

People will be covered via warranty/lemon laws, etc., but this is still a potentially dangerous issue depending on the road situation, etc...always good to be aware!!
Thanks for posting. My VIN is a later model.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
For those not in the Q50/Q60 FB group, someone just posted the official Infiniti Bulletin sent out to dealerships regarding the timing belt issue; check your VIN range/manufacturing date to see if your Q60 is affected, or just take it in to your dealership if you want peace of mind.

This is good information for everyone that might be affected. Thanks Jayce. I've gone ahead and made it a sticky.

If the "Warranty and Service Issues" sub-forum picks up in time, I may move to that sub-forum as a permanent sticky. :D

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I visually inspected mine. The gap is at spec. It's the pulley in the center of the front the engine. It's a different drive belt than the one pictured as the outside of it is smooth and uniform in color.

Reactions: Nigel

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Thanks for posting. My VIN is a later model.
Mine is post-SB, too. And for the record, it is a Drive Belt, not a Timing Belt, alignment issue. Big difference. Oh, and FWIW, the VR30DDTT engine has a Timing Chain.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are right, sorry, it is indeed the Drive Belt...i'd edit the OP if I could! :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Mine is post-SB, too. And for the record, it is a Drive Belt, not a Timing Belt, alignment issue. Big difference. Oh, and FWIW, the VR30DDTT engine has a Timing Chain.
You guys are right, sorry, it is indeed the Drive Belt...i'd edit the OP if I could! :)
Well if you want to get all technical it's an Accessory Drive Belt :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's nice to see some actual dates for the first time. Production is 8/16 on mine. Have been driving with a slight cringe every time I mash the gas peddle, lol

·
Registered
2020 Q60 Red Sport AWD
19 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but wanted to clarify how to ready/interpret that bulletin.

If you have a VIN with a *higher* ending number than the ones listed there, that means your car is newer, and therefor not subject to this issue, correct?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgive my ignorance, but wanted to clarify how to ready/interpret that bulletin.

If you have a VIN with a *higher* ending number than the ones listed there, that means your car is newer, and therefor not subject to this issue, correct?
That is how I read it; for example, with the RWD Red Sport...the last number in the range is 610102; if yours were 610103 or higher then you should not be affected since the car would be manufactured past the date with the defect/issue. Have you dealer check your car out if you have absolutely any doubts and want that peace of mind.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Just check your build date. It's clearly stated on the white sticker at the bottom of the drives door framing.

Reactions: Jayce

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK, I was going to correct that it isn't a timing belt, but that's been handled.

As for the clicking/ticking noise described above: I think you're referring to a noise the engine makes when running, and is most noticeable right at cold start. I've been told this has something to do with DIG and is normal.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just check your build date. It's clearly stated on the white sticker at the bottom of the drives door framing.
I totally missed the build date on the door frame sticker...thanks!

Just checked my RS400 and it's in the 6109xx range, build date of 11/16, so looks to be well in the clear. :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
So are these being swapped by the dealer? Or are they waiting for something to go wrong first? I believe my VIN is within the range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
So are these being swapped by the dealer? Or are they waiting for something to go wrong first? I believe my VIN is within the range
There is no swap. The belt is realigned if it's out of alignment. Contact your dealer if you're concerned, or look at the first post and inspect the clearance on the belt yourself. It's a visual inspection as seen in the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Since this is a accessory drive belt I'm confused on why it's taking out cars.
It's the only drive belt in the car and bad alignment could cause it to rub and burn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe I'm reading too much into 'taking out cars' to mean engine replacement. I would expect at worst it stop driving the alternator and the engine shuts down from dead battery but no real damage.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts