Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my Z1 2 piece rotors finally arrived after 3 months wait and I decided to give a try installing it.

Never done anything like that before and was surprised how actually doable it was.

Obviously getting the **** old rotor out was a bit of a pain, had to bang the crap out of it but it finally came out. Couple mistakes costed me some time:

• forgot to add the small little pins before assembling everything back, including putting the wheel back, torquing the bolts and all
  • not expanding the pistons before taking the old rotor and pads, and didnt realize the caliper expanding tool I bought doesnt work for akebono
Overall 2.5hr work for the front wheels. Two hours for the first when I waa learning what to do and half hour for second.

Had to stop there because of lack of light, will resume Monday.

Questions for u guys:

- are the rear ones much worse? I'm not sure, but since u cant turn the wheel and also I guess the ebrake situation?

- are the RedSport rotors already 2 piece? They looked quite similar to the ones I ordered (except for the drills/slots). Going to weight them later to compare, but my impression is that they weigh about the same? Maybe the previous owner installed 2 piece before?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Questions for u guys:

- are the rear ones much worse? I'm not sure, but since u cant turn the wheel and also I guess the ebrake situation?

- are the RedSport rotors already 2 piece? They looked quite similar to the ones I ordered (except for the drills/slots). Going to weight them later to compare, but my impression is that they weigh about the same? Maybe the previous owner installed 2 piece before?

Thanks folks!
The e-brakes are drum (shoes) which when applied, expand against the inside of the rotor.

As for the calipers, to compress the pistons back into the bore, either on the front or rear, I remove the outboard pad, and then I place a thin block of wood on the front face of the caliper. I use a 5" or 6" clamp to squeeze the piston(s) back into their bore(s).

The OEM Red Sport rotors are one-piece. The Z1 Motorsports 2-piece rotors can be sprinkle-slotted, slotted, or drilled & slotted.

As for weight, the front Z1 Motorsports 2-piece rotors weigh 10 lbs less (each) than the OEM front rotors. The rear Z1 Motorsports 2-piece rotors weight 5 lbs less (each) than the OEM rear rotors.

Reactions: JonnyB

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I found why I couldn't tell the difference: I ordered the regular rotors, not 2 piece!! I'm so fing pissed, you have no idea, complete dumb didn't realize they weren't 2 piece at the time of the order. FML. Did I say I waited 3 months for them? /facepalm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts