Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Message to the Mods : if this violates the rules somehow, please let me know - as this vendor is not yet authorized here but is authorized on the q50 forums. he is not trying to make a sale, but however is trying to see if a part is compatible.

I've been working with Sid from Gwinnett after purchasing a sport muffler with exhaust, and we had an interesting discussion about the interior cup holders on the silver sports.

it looks like all red sports come with the cup holder illumination, but silver sports would be an option to get it with the illumination package.
However, Sid found something interesting when tearing down a 2017 q60 silver sport, that all the wires are there and ready to go but just not the part.

I'm trying to help him look for one reputable individual with a 2017 q60 silver sport that does not have any illumination in the cup holder as he has a part he's willing to give to you to see if it would work - if it does the part would be free to you.

Please see the below message from Sid:

"All 2017+ Q60’s appear to be pre-wired for an illuminated cup holder. The harness looks to be taped back in a manner similar to the old G’s and Q50’s were with the paddles shifter harnesses.

I’m looking for someone with a new 2017+ Q60 willing to install an illuminated cup hold. Just 1 person. I’d like to have confirmation without a doubt before I start offering the cup holder for sale to those interested in a little bit of an upgrade to their interior. There’s no cost to them and they get to keep the part if it works.

Just need a shipping address and someone reputable to work with."

Anyone willing to contribute their time/car to see if this would work, please contact me so i can put you in touch with them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I volunteer as tribute. I just emailed him.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So I just received the lighted cupholder from Sid at Gwinnett Infiniti and did the install. It's a very easy process and results in a plug-and-play attachment to make the cupholder work. Sid will have these parts for sale for those of us with the Silver Sports. There's a thread on the Q50 forums that show you how to remove the section around the shift knob, which is how I learned how, but I'll post some directions below for those that are interested.

Step 1:

Pull off the leather side panels on the shift knob console. Be careful here, as the clips that hold it into place are cheaply made. I broke one as I was pulling it off. They only require light to moderate force.

Step 2:

Pull upward with moderate force on the cup holder. The entire panel will come up with the cup holder.

Step 3:
There are five screws that attach the cup holder to the console lid. Unscrew these and the cup holder will come off. Attach your lit console with the same screws.

Step 4:
The wire you will plug into your new cup holder will likely be taped to a bundle of other wires close to the center console storage. Cut the tape, plug it in. Reattach all pieces. The cupholder will not light up when power is applied to the vehicle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The cupholder will not light up when the power is applied meaning that the "parking lights" will need to be turned on in order to activate the interior illumination (gauges, etc.) ? Also have you checked on the price of the new clip (the one that you broke by mistake) from Infiniti ? Only asking as I typically like to take my time and remove things but do tend to make a few errors myself and my track record with clips isn't really the greatest haha.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The cupholder will not light up when the power is applied meaning that the "parking lights" will need to be turned on in order to activate the interior illumination (gauges, etc.) ? Also have you checked on the price of the new clip (the one that you broke by mistake) from Infiniti ? Only asking as I typically like to take my time and remove things but do tend to make a few errors myself and my track record with clips isn't really the greatest haha.
Yea, sorry I wrote that in a rush. You will need to have either the parking lights, or the headlights on for the cupholder to light up. And obviously, when on Auto and the lights come on the cupholder will turn on as well. I have not checked the price of the clips, but Sid might help me out since I did this for him. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yea, sorry I wrote that in a rush. You will need to have either the parking lights, or the headlights on for the cupholder to light up. And obviously, when on Auto and the lights come on the cupholder will turn on as well. I have not checked the price of the clips, but Sid might help me out since I did this for him. :)
Clips shouldn't be too bad. I'll get an answer for your Monday. Meaning, I'm going to get you that clip! :)

Thank you for working this one for me! VERY nice to have confirmation and a nice interior upgrade for those without it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK guys I'm new to this so bare with me on this question, but Sid said all Q60's are prewired, but then it sounds like only silver sports are wired that way. Which is it? Because I'd like to do this on my premium 3.0t.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
So, I guess I'm new to this too because I don't even have a "Silver Sport." I just assumed incorrectly that anything that wasn't a RS was a Silver Sport. Nope. Just looked on the website and looks like I'm only rocking the premium as well. So therefore, your answer is "yes," your car is prewired for this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is great news! Thanks spyderman. Guess I need to tell Sid to add this to my list of things I want! I appreciate the insight from this entire forum. It has made me look smarter than the dealership. Hoping to get my first Infiniti on Wednesday. Upgrading from a Maxima and losing 2 doors. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Absolute newbie to the Infiniti club here...I just picked up a 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium and I am trying to track down info on this upgrade/mod for my car as well. I haven't seen much on the Q50 forums so I thought I'd reach out here. Does anyone know if the Q50/Q60 consoles and/or cupholders are the same? Is the wiring discussed above also already wired up on the Q50 Premium as spyderman7000 said it was on his Q60 Premium? I hope I'm not intruding being a Q50 guy...just really excited and interested in this community. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Absolute newbie to the Infiniti club here...I just picked up a 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium and I am trying to track down info on this upgrade/mod for my car as well. I haven't seen much on the Q50 forums so I thought I'd reach out here. Does anyone know if the Q50/Q60 consoles and/or cupholders are the same? Is the wiring discussed above also already wired up on the Q50 Premium as spyderman7000 said it was on his Q60 Premium? I hope I'm not intruding being a Q50 guy...just really excited and interested in this community. Thanks.
Yes, it is a direct fit. There is a bit of an issue, though. The Q50's are not pre-wired for it and there is a pig-tail connector that will be required.

I've got one person that has been trying to work it out for a Q50, but, the problem is determining which wires to tap into. The ones he's tapped into thus far have illuminated the cup holder, but, the illumination is dim.

The other issue is making sure to tap into wires in which the function will be proper, too: turning on with the other interior pieces that illuminate, like the radio and and shift indicator lights.

BTW, on the Q50 forum, we are diparts. I'll explain about that in the PM on that forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i assume all q50s aren't setup for this...i don't have lights on my 2017 q50 red sport

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, it is a direct fit. There is a bit of an issue, though. The Q50's are not pre-wired for it and there is a pig-tail connector that will be required.

I've got one person that has been trying to work it out for a Q50, but, the problem is determining which wires to tap into. The ones he's tapped into thus far have illuminated the cup holder, but, the illumination is dim.

The other issue is making sure to tap into wires in which the function will be proper, too: turning on with the other interior pieces that illuminate, like the radio and and shift indicator lights.

BTW, on the Q50 forum, we are diparts. I'll explain about that in the PM on that forum.
Looking forward to figuring this out. Any wiring/electrical Q60 folks here willing to troubleshoot and research this with us?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looking forward to figuring this out. Any wiring/electrical Q60 folks here willing to troubleshoot and research this with us?
I think where Q60 owners could help out is somehow tracking down where that connector they're pre-wired for runs to.

The issue we are running into on the Q50 side is knowing where to tap into. The wires tapped into by the forum member who's been helping me work this did illuminate the cup holder, but, it was very dim. Not the result we were hoping for.

:-/

·
Registered
25 Posts
perhaps it was tapped into a cut-down voltage, e.g. 5v, instead of 12v. Just an assumption as it's dim. I think it should be easy but only need time/patience to trace the wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm the Q50 guy who's been trying to wire up the cup holder to my car. I've tapped into multiple sets of wires (including my ambient lighting kit wires), but the assembly barely lights up.

We just have to see where the Q60 wires lead to so we can have a better idea as to where to tap into. It's not a difficult install but finding the right wires is the most difficult part.

Sid and I discussed tapping into the audio wires since those are 12v, but that would make the install a bit harder since the pigtail connector doesn't have wires that are long enough. It would also mean tapping wires behind the dashboard.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm the Q50 guy who's been trying to wire up the cup holder to my car. I've tapped into multiple sets of wires (including my ambient lighting kit wires), but the assembly barely lights up.

We just have to see where the Q60 wires lead to so we can have a better idea as to where to tap into. It's not a difficult install but finding the right wires is the most difficult part.

Sid and I discussed tapping into the audio wires since those are 12v, but that would make the install a bit harder since the pigtail connector doesn't have wires that are long enough. It would also mean tapping wires behind the dashboard.
Glad to see you here! Just dawned on me to see if I can find those wiring diagrams I pulled awhile back. If I can somehow make a JPEG and upload them here, maybe someone can make some sense out of this and get it to work well on the Q50's. That would be sweet!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to see you here! Just dawned on me to see if I can find those wiring diagrams I pulled awhile back. If I can somehow make a JPEG and upload them here, maybe someone can make some sense out of this and get it to work well on the Q50's. That would be sweet!
I think I have them from when you sent them to me a while back. I'll see if I can upload them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think I have them from when you sent them to me a while back. I'll see if I can upload them.

I found them on my personal computer's desktop among cluttered files...need to straighten that up.

When there's time, I'll work the screenshots and compose JPEG's or PNG's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts