Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Q60 Red Sport for a year. I'm pretty perfectionistic about things, so I started making small upgrades to the car to address little issues that I wanted to change. I've decided to post the changes I've made, in order of cost, in case any of you are interested in making these changes. I'll have three posts, Interior Changes, External Changes, and Performance Changes, as well as a brief reason for why I've changed them and approximate cost of the change (parts, not including labor). My goal was to upgrade the Q60, while still passing for Stock appearance.

Interior Changes:

1). Aluminum Red Color Start Button Cover ($10) - Something to make the Red Sport stand out inside and go with the Red "S" theme.

2). Red Trim for Steering Wheel Controls ($10)- Matches start button cover.

3). LED Puddle Lights ($20 per pair)- I hate the yellow incandescent door lights. The white LEDs match with the rest of the car's interior and exterior lighting.

4). Sunvisor Cover for Airbag Warning signs ($20 for pair) - You can get these to match the material of your interior. High quality, now the interior is all black. You can peel them off if you want the warning signs back with no adhesive residue left.

5). Key Fob Cover ($35). You can go with an Alluminum Trim (for the luxury look), or a Calfskin All Blacked Out Cover with Red Stitching (for the sporty look). No longer looks like a Sentra keyfob!

6). OEM Console Net ($50). Pricey, but nice for extra storage, and looks cool.

7). OEM Trunk Protector ($120) Easy to clean in case of grocery spills or leaks

8). OEM Infiniti Sport Mats ($180). Nicely matches the sport models alluminum pedals, with an alluminum Q60 logo plate on the mat. Has rubber grip for where your shoe rests, and carpet is of much higher quality. These should have been standard on all sport models.

9). WeatherTtech All Season Floor Mats ($180): Better coverage than OEM All Season Matts.

10. Radient Ambient Interior Light ($256 on sale): Add on over the Sport Lighting Package that comes standard with Sport Models. Too much? No way, now you have both front and rear footwell lighting while driving and additional cupholder lighting. They all match existing interior lights and have three setting: High, Low, and Off. This helps with an all black interior and still looks very classy. (The only down side to adding this is that the install isn't easy and cost more in labor than the parts)

11). Dynamat the Doors ($250??) Takes out the rattle in the doors. This is the most commonly stated frustration I've seen online about the Q60's noise issues.

12). Powered Subwoofer and Amp ($1200-$1500??) Plug and Play, Car could use a little more low-end bass, and this would take some of the strain off of the rest of the system with a small, but powerful, trunk subwoofer with amp. It might help the doors to rattle less as the subwoofers locating in the doors will not be working full force and will now be Dynamated insulated; with most of the deep bass coming from the trunk. (Hmm, might need to Dynamat the trunk).

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've had my Q60 Red Sport for a year. I'm pretty perfectionistic about things, so I started making small upgrades to the car to address little issues that I wanted to change. I've decided to post the changes I've made, in order of cost, in case any of you are interested in making these changes. I'll have three posts, Interior Changes, External Changes, and Performance Changes, as well as a brief reason for why I've changed them and approximate cost of the change (parts, not including labor). My goal was to upgrade the Q60, while still passing for Stock appearance.

Interior Changes:

1). Aluminum Red Color Start Button Cover ($10) - Something to make the Red Sport stand out inside and go with the Red "S" theme.

2). Red Trim for Steering Wheel Controls ($10)- Matches start button cover.

3). LED Puddle Lights ($20 per pair)- I hate the yellow incandescent door lights. The white LEDs match with the rest of the car's interior and exterior lighting.

4). Sunvisor Cover for Airbag Warning signs ($20 for pair) - You can get these to match the material of your interior. High quality, now the interior is all black. You can peel them off if you want the warning signs back with no adhesive residue left.

5). Key Fob Cover ($35). You can go with an Alluminum Trim (for the luxury look), or a Calfskin All Blacked Out Cover with Red Stitching (for the sporty look). No longer looks like a Sentra keyfob!

6). OEM Console Net ($50). Pricey, but nice for extra storage, and looks cool.

7). OEM Trunk Protector ($120) Easy to clean in case of grocery spills or leaks

8). OEM Infiniti Sport Mats ($180). Nicely matches the sport models alluminum pedals, with an alluminum Q60 logo plate on the mat. Has rubber grip for where your shoe rests, and carpet is of much higher quality. These should have been standard on all sport models.

9). WeatherTtech All Season Floor Mats ($180): Better coverage than OEM All Season Matts.

10. Radient Ambient Interior Light ($256 on sale): Add on over the Sport Lighting Package that comes standard with Sport Models. Too much? No way, now you have both front and rear footwell lighting while driving and additional cupholder lighting. They all match existing interior lights and have three setting: High, Low, and Off. This helps with an all black interior and still looks very classy. (The only down side to adding this is that the install isn't easy and cost more in labor than the parts)

11). Dynamat the Doors ($250??) Takes out the rattle in the doors. This is the most commonly stated frustration I've seen online about the Q60's noise issues.

12). Powered Subwoofer and Amp ($1200-$1500??) Plug and Play, Car could use a little more low-end bass, and this would take some of the strain off of the rest of the system with a small, but powerful, trunk subwoofer with amp. It might help the doors to rattle less as the subwoofers locating in the doors will not be working full force and will now be Dynamated insulated; with most of the deep bass coming from the trunk. (Hmm, might need to Dynamat the trunk).

Maybe add some pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exterior Upgrades that Make a Difference

Exterior Upgrades that Make a Difference Part II

(OEM prices are based on current Infiniti Estore rates)

1). OEM Valve Stem Caps ($11)- replace the cheap looking plastic ones that these with Infiniti Logo over black background.

2). Carbon Fiber License Plate ($25)- looks a lot better than a dealer's frame.

3). 3M 35% Window Tint foor doors and rear ($200)- Not too dark, won't raise flags as being "tinted", looks stock, and makes the car look more sporty.

4). AutoBodyGuard Nano Coating ($500)- helps protect paint, includes interior and exterior protection warranty and comes with reapplication and full interior and exterior detail two times per year for three years. Looks great and is well worth the cost of the details alone.

5). Clear Bra Sport Package ($500?) Helps protect against pain chips, covers most of the car and mirrors. Paint chips were a huge problem before this product. I've haven't seen any major ones in a year (and I live in Chicago).

6). Stillen Front Splitter and Winglets painted to match body color ($650). Looks stock, but makes the car appear more aggressive.

7). OEM Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers ($456)

8). OEM Carbon Fiber Spoiler ($530)

9). OEM Carbon Fiber Rear Bumper Protector ($45).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Performance Upgrades That Make A Difference - Part III

Here are the performance upgrades that I made, not in order of cost, but in order of improved performance benefits

1). Continental DWS-06 ($800). Far better performance than the stock Run Flats, if you don't want to go the summer and winter tire setup route. Ride quality, handling, dry, wet, snow improved traction. Transforms this car!

2). Stillen Cat-back Performance Exhaust ($1350). Gives the car a more aggressive tone, but not annoying at cruising speeds. A definite bump in horsepower and torque (20-30 whp gain). Aluminum, Burnt, or Carbon Fiber tips to add to the looks of your Q60. It will still pass emissions testing and won't affect your warranty as it is a cat-back design.

3). Infiniti R-Spec High Friction Front Brake Pads for Q60 Sport Models ($230 a pair). Enhances brake feel without increasing brake dust. Made of Carbon Metalic Composite.

4). Infiniti / AMS Red-Alpha Heat Exchanger for the Q60 3.0tt models ($720). Increased cooling for more aggressive driving and/or hotter climates, less heat soak. (The Downside is the install time of 3-4 hours and the cost of labor)

5). Infiniti /AMS Red Alpha Cold Air Intakes (TBD and out in late spring or early summer). I had the Stillen CAI, but the transmission jerks were terrible, so I took it out. I did increase torque significantly and the turbo blowoff sounded great! I have much higher hopes for the AMS design.

6). Burger Motor Sports JB-1 ($380) Plug and Play in 5 minutes, increases 3 PSI boost over stock across the rev range). Adds 20-30 horsepower on 93 Octane with the Red Sport, still within a very safe boost range (17.7 PSI max vs 14.7 stock) FYI, the Red Sport appears to work just fine up to 19 PSI based on Stillen's research (you can find this article online), does not reflash the ecu and can be easily removed before being serviced. As it is a booster only, and not a remap, it allows the ECU to perform it's functions as usual. Not as good as a full tune, but it you want a little more power, safety, and less risks of warranty issues, this is the way to go.

All of these interior, exterior, and performance upgrades, working together, should significantly increase both the "Sport" and "Luxury" feel of this car without exTENsive or exPENsive modifications. It just makes your daily driver feel that much more fun!

I always felt that the Red Sport, as it was intended to be (and not a mini-GTR as some have suggested) was about 85% there in stock form. In my opinion, I feel that these simple modifications add about another 10% to the total package. I'd love to hear about any other suggestions you have to enhance this car!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey @Dan! Thanks for sharing your upgrades. Like @IridiumQ60Indy, I'm also interested in photos if you don't mind sharing a few.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics will be coming in the next week or so. Some are already up in my gallery.

Reactions: testrage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question about the key fob covers. I checked out your gallery and it looks like the case goes around the outside. How do you get the valet key out?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Or links where we can find these things....like the red steering wheel trim or the OEM cargo net.
I can't find any steering wheel trim, so I'm also hoping for a link. But the console net and cargo net can be purchased on the Infiniti parts store.

Console net: https://parts.infinitiusa.com/infinitiParts/index.cfm?siteid=15&action=accessories&itemid=417229&catalogid=212
Cargo net: https://parts.infinitiusa.com/infinitiparts/index.cfm?siteid=15&action=accessories&itemid=417242&catalogid=212

·
Registered
361 Posts
Simply awesome and will archive this thread so I can reference and continue my quest.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some pics for the Interior

These pics are to show you what the interior upgrades look like. Some are my pictures, some are from Infiniti's website, some are from around the web.

Interior

1). Red Start Button (from Amazon)
2). Red Trim for Steering Wheel (Couldn't find it on the net, mine isn't installed yet. I drew a picture in paint to show you what it would look like with Red Start button cover (forgive the drawing).
3). Puddle Lights (left pic shows OEM yellow light, right pics shows white LED). LED matches OEM Kick Plate and OEM Ground Effects Lights
4). Sun Visor Airbag Warning Sign Cover (from Google images)
5). Key Fobs (My keys: left pic has standard fob with aluminum trip on right), last key fob photo from Amazon is the leather one.
6). Console Net (from Infiniti's website)
7). Trunk Protector (From Infiniti's website)
8). Sport Mats (From Infiniti website) Left side is standard mats and right is sport mats.
9). Weather Tech Mats (All Season) Notice that they go up behind the pedals to capture rain and snow. OEM ones are flat, and not cupped.
10). Ambient Lighting Footwells (Found this on Google images). These pictures do not do it justice.

Attachments

Reactions: Sreddy143

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exterior Upgrade Pictures

Here are pictures of Exterior Upgrades

1). Valve Stem Caps (Infiniti's website)
2). Carbon Fiber License Plate (I bought this on Amazon)
3). 35% 3M Tint (Pic of my car, darker than stock, but passes for stock). Dealership took the photo
4). AutobodyGuard Nano Coating (my car when it was just applied). Dealership took the photo
5). Clear Bra. No picture, as you can't see it if it's clear! ;)
6). Stillen Splitter and Winglets (my car, I took the photo)
7). OEM Carbon Fiber Mirror Cover (Infinit's website, pics only on a Red Car)
8). OEM Carbon Fiber Spoiler (my car, side view and rear view) Not the best picture
9). OEM Carbon Fiber Bumper Protector (Infinti's website, pics on a Red Car)

Mirror Cover Pics and Bumper Protector will be installed this week, then I'll have pictures up. I'm also going to get a Stillen Rear Diffuser and will put the pics up when it is finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Performance Upgrade Pics

Here are pics of these:

1). Continental DWS06 tires (pic from Engage360Training.com)
2). Stillen Cat-Back Performance Exhaust (first 2 pics are from Stillen, 3rd pic is installed on my car)
3). Infiniti R-Spec High Friction Carbon Metallic Brake Pads (From Infinti's Q60 Motorsports Estore)
4). AMS Heat Exchanger (from their website. Note the difference from stock size on left for comparison)
5). Burger Motorsports JB-1 (from their website)

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a good number of those same upgrades...i also put an LED in the trunk which makes life MUCH better, and put a 3v led strip along the very top of the rear glass to shine down on the back seats. I hooked them up to the driver and passenger reading lights (note that they are 3v led's). And i also wired up my own red interior ambient lighing in all 4 footwells.

pls post a pic or a link, or even where you got the steering wheel trim (i have the red start button and think that steering wheel trim would look good!)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mattds,

I'd love to see the pictures of the trunk LED and the 3v Led Strip at the top of the rear glass. (I can't imagine how this was wired to the driver and passenger reading lights?!?)

I think the red interior light for the footwells probably makes this car look very aggressive inside. :)

The steering wheel trim was purchased on Amazon under the automotive section "interior decorative trim". Tons of colors and lengths and mot manufactures look like they make the same product. Someone on the Q50/Q60 Facebook page did the steering wheel originally, and it looked great. But, I can't find the original post anywhere after hours of looking for it.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, endeavor1, that is the same type of product. I just can't seem to find the picture that I originally saw where an Infiniti owner trimmed the steering wheel controls in red. So, I drew an approximation of this in the Paint program. (I'm getting my car detailed soon, so I didn't install mine yet). There are a lot of photos of every other part of a vehicle trimmed with this product, even the vents, just no steering wheel pics.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hahaha....

I feel like you should've waited until you installed all of this before telling us about it. I know you're excited for your upgrades but this one is trash. I speak out of experience because I bought it from eBay. It was only like....8 bucks so if I didn't like it I wouldn't be upset about it. The problem with this stuff is that it will not stay in your creases unless you glue it in, an thus risk damaging your interior. Plus, if you do a crappy job cutting the pieces to length, they will look tacky. I kinda think it looks tacky anyway (given, I used a gold trim because I'm going for a different color scheme in my car), but to each their own. Additionally, I think the trim is too thick to look good on the steering wheel, especially because the creases are so tight. I don't think you'll be able to achieve a good look with it. I'll be willing to put my foot in my mouth if you prove me wrong though!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Here's a pic of it in my car. Don't mind the red. I was using the pic for something else.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts