Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just enough huh?

So if its getting old, start listing facts to prove me wrong.
Man there really is no need to be continually putting down certain mods or this platform in general. Here's my feedback having almost a decade under my belt with methanol injection.... there is FAR MORE than just power gains that come as a benefit to running meth injection and after running it, I've always said that any turbo car I own will run it by default.

Why? Because even though there are more gains with a bigger frame turbo, I ran meth on a pissy little k04 on a four cylinder and saw a gain of 20kw and over 30nm of torque. I then saw an increase of octane from 98 to 113. (this was before upgrading to a larger garrett)

As a result of this, my knock factor reduced dramatically. I even saw a reduction in engine temps across the board as a result of sub-ambient BATs (Boost Air Temps). Further more, my BATs were always sub ambient meaning intercooler upgrades were not necessary, saving more money.

Having the ability to run more octane for cheap is absolutely priceless regardless of how much the gain is relative to your turbo frame size. And that being said, once they make upgrade options, you are already running meth and the gains will be fantastic. Not to mention the meth keeping your intake valves clean. Having cleaned direct injection gunk in the past, anything to avoid it is worth every penny.

Oh and FYI I ran the fastest 1/4 mile time against larger frame turbos with my pissy little meth injected k04 on the same car platform. Just saying. I do agree with one thing though. This really should be accompanied with a custom tune. None of this off the shelf tune crap.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Man there really is no need to be continually putting down certain mods or this platform in general. Here's my feedback having almost a decade under my belt with methanol injection.... there is FAR MORE than just power gains that come as a benefit to running meth injection and after running it, I've always said that any turbo car I own will run it by default.

Why? Because even though there are more gains with a bigger frame turbo, I ran meth on a pissy little k04 on a four cylinder and saw a gain of 20kw and over 30nm of torque. I then saw an increase of octane from 98 to 113. (this was before upgrading to a larger garrett)

As a result of this, my knock factor reduced dramatically. I even saw a reduction in engine temps across the board as a result of sub-ambient BATs (Boost Air Temps). Further more, my BATs were always sub ambient meaning intercooler upgrades were not necessary, saving more money.

Having the ability to run more octane for cheap is absolutely priceless regardless of how much the gain is relative to your turbo frame size. And that being said, once they make upgrade options, you are already running meth and the gains will be fantastic. Not to mention the meth keeping your intake valves clean. Having cleaned direct injection gunk in the past, anything to avoid it is worth every penny.

Oh and FYI I ran the fastest 1/4 mile time against larger frame turbos with my pissy little meth injected k04 on the same car platform. Just saying. I do agree with one thing though. This really should be accompanied with a custom tune. None of this off the shelf tune crap.
Nice input. Just to clarify your last statement about running a custom tune. You may not be aware that the VR30DDTT platform runs full time closed loop with wideband correction. The JB4 now has fuel control as well so you are able to target a different AFR than stock, and the wideband O2's correct to the new target.....essentially what a custom tune does. Obviously there are limitations here, but it's been good enough until you choose to upgrade turbos and fuel system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice input. Just to clarify your last statement about running a custom tune. You may not be aware that the VR30DDTT platform runs full time closed loop with wideband correction. The JB4 now has fuel control as well so you are able to target a different AFR than stock, and the wideband O2's correct to the new target.....essentially what a custom tune does. Obviously there are limitations here, but it's been good enough until you choose to upgrade turbos and fuel system.
That's impressive, I wasn't aware as I am yet to invest in a JB4. Still running in my motor unfortunately. ;)

There are obviously some limitations still as you said, but that is far better than the usual off the shelf limitations you see with older platforms. Good to know :)

61 - 63 of 63 Posts