Infiniti Q60 Forums banner

Just about to purchase

8K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Z74Q60 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. First post. I am getting ready to purchase a 2017 Q60 Red Sport 400, Iridium Blue, Black interior, fully loaded with tech, safety, etc.. and probably ground light kit. I live in the upper Midwest where it snows :) and will be using it as my daily driver. I currently have a 2010 G37X and prior to that had an Audi A4. I test drove the q60 RS400 without DAS and all the tech and will be going in this week to test drive new Q50 with DAS to see how I like the DAS. I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can answer or offer opinions on.

1) I have read real bad reviews on the Dunlop RF tires. The common complaints are harsh ride and premature wear. Has anyone tried these tires out in the snow or rain? How do they handle? The dealer wont swap for regular rubber so my plan is to use them until they are done and then get Michelins or Continentals on the car.
2) If you put non RF on car, will that in any way negatively effect the handling, etc. I assume the car is tuned for the harder side wall RF's.
3) I have two kids, age 5 and 2. They sit in car seats. I have a 4 door now and really want the coupe. They don't ride in my car much (mostly in my wife's and nanny's car). I was wondering if anyone with kids can weigh in on how hard it is to get them in and out of seats.
4) How is the Bose system? I listen to all sorts of music but do enjoy some dub step...Bass any good?
5) My 2010 G37x is real slow to shift with paddles. When I test drove the Q60 RS400 it seemed much quicker to shift but I didn't spend tons of time in the car. Any opinions on gear box and shift speed with paddles?

Thanks,
D

See less See more
#2 ·
So you're buying the AWD?

There's a button, just above the lever for folding the seat-back forward, that when pushed powers the seat forward and then back again for more ease of entering the rear seat.

#4 ·
If you replace the RF tires with conventional, you may want to buy one of these:

Continental ContiComfortKit. It's OEM on the RWD and fits in a compartment on the left side of the trunk wall.

#9 ·
I have a RWD RS. It came with conventional tires and that Continental emergency tire repair kit. I'm happy with the OEM tires. They stick well but probably don't have a lot of tread life. They're summer tires.

#6 ·
4) How is the Bose system? I listen to all sorts of music but do enjoy some dub step...Bass any good?

Thanks,
D
I tested with some dub step when I took a Q60 RS on a test drive...my full review is somewhere in one of the forums. The system sounds good but I would recommend a LOC, AMP, & a single sub box at a minimum if you listen to a lot of bass heavy tracks. There is some bass and the system is definitely well balanced (& loud if you need it) but you won't get the full bass experience unless you have a dedicated sub w/ enclosure...imho.

#7 ·
3) I am not going to lie, kids in car seats are going to be a problem for you. I waited until this year when my boys turned 14 and 16 to get my first coupe. Combine young kids with boots and snow suits and you may have problems. The back is very hard to reach into, so much so that I drop my bags, briefcase , everything into the trunk instead of having to contort to access the back seat.

4) System is great, bass is amazing, the subs really let you pound it even at high volume. Much better than the Audi S4 I came out of

#8 ·
I was actually surprised by how good the sound and low end was; balanced, loud and low distortion - much better than the past few years of Q60 and G37 sound systems. Last year I was considering a pre-owned Q50 and was going to drop up to 10 grand in sound upgrades until I decided to wait on the Q60. I went as far as talking to an installer and planning it out. After hearing the Q60, I dropped those plans and pulled the trigger on one. It's of course not as good as a nice custom install, but I doubt you'll feel a need to spend cash on one after trying it out and setting it up to your liking.

Also, here's a video of a Q60 outfitted with a carseat at 2 minutes in....

Good luck!

#11 ·
Thanks for your opinions. I fully expect the Q60 RS to be more challenging to get kids in. Both will be forward facing and my 5 y/o can basically crawl in and strap herself in. The challenge will be the 2 year old. I will bring the car seat with me to the dealer this week and try it out. Basically, while it may be more of a hassle, as long as it is doable I am ok with it. The kids spend most of their time in our other vehicles.

#15 ·
I only have 70 miles on my Q60 RS400 AWD, so cannot report any personal experience. However, I squirmed about the run flats for along time before delivery. Tire Rack ratings by customers of these tires is depressing. I suggest you look at their website if you have not already done so! Snow performance was poor. The Q50 forum is full of more horror stories with reports of multiple failures. Same with the BMW forums. My Infiniti dealer rep, that I have dealt with for the last 15 years, said it would be wise to consider 'tire and wheel' insurance because his customers had experienced multiple failures. So, for the first time in my life I have tire insurance. It covers all tires on the vehicle for 7 years, not just the tires at time of delivery. At any rate, if you have the AWD version, you either take off the new very pricey tires and replace with conventional tires and get Bevo Horn's emergency kit or you live with them for awhile and then replace with something else. You may have seen in other posts that there are rectangular metal blocks spot welded in the spare tire well that prevents a spare from being stored. But the car does have a cubby to store that emergency kit. :)

Reactions: Bevo
#17 ·
Well, I drove a 2011 G37xS for 39 months and have had my RS400 for about a month, so I can give some comparisons.

I read the same reviews on the run-flats, and am in Maine, so I wanted them replaced. I got my deal where I wanted it, and THEN told the dealer I wouldn't except the car with the run-flats. We agreed that I would pay HALF of the cost of whatever conventional tires I chose, with that cost added into my monthly. I chose Pirrelli ZEROs, which ran about $200 apiece, so my cost was $400. I'm leasing, so spread out over 39 months, it added about $10 a month to my payment. Even if you had to pay full price and were financing over 60 months, your talking $13-14 per month. The dealership should have no reason to not agree to spread out the cost over the life of whatever your payment is. They want to get you in the car, so they'll work it out.

As for the kids, if you don't mind the hassle, and filthy foot marks on the back of your front seats, it will work. Really, really tight back there, but it can be done, just not easily.

I personally think the new Bose Centerpoint system sounds great. I listen to a little of everything, but mostly hip-hop. Your bass won't be heard coming down the block, but there are plenty of lows that will viborate the rear-view mirror, and the sound is clear and not distorted. Overall the system is very loud volume-wise, as in you won't be holding a conversation when the volume is past 3/4 up.

The paddle-shifters, meh. I used them a few times in the '11, but the lack of quick response made them basically just cool to look at. The new ones, now mounted on the wheel rather than on the column, aren't much better honestly. They have a slightly quicker response than the previous generation, but still not up to par IMO.

#19 ·
This is great info guys. Much appreciated. Sound system sounds fine for me. I don't want people to hear me coming blocks away or while I sit at a red light. Rather, I want full sound with some good lows in the cabin. Going to test drive again this Friday and will pay attention to the paddle shifters. I felt under full or near full throttle they shifted pretty quickly during my first test drive.

The run flats are a major negative. The dealer didn't seem willing to budge much and admitted if they take on the cost of new tires it would come from somewhere (cost of vehicle or trade in). They are willing to sell me car at invoice right now. Let me ask you this about tires... I assume car suspension, while adjustable, is tuned for the harder side wall run flats. If you swap regular tire does it alter the dynamics of the car much?

#20 ·
I assume car suspension, while adjustable, is tuned for the harder side wall run flats. If you swap regular tire does it alter the dynamics of the car much?
I'm guessing the suspension reacts to the conditions. PSI is a variable to. You're probably just going to have to eat the RF tires. They may sell you conventional tires at cost.

#21 ·
My dealer was not willing to work any kind of deal to replace the RF's. However, they did discount the window sticker price without hesitation even though I had 'ordered' the car. They did say that conventional tires would work just fine if I chose to replace the RF's.

#25 ·
How have the run flats been for you? Noise acceptable? I don't remember real loud tire/road noise during my 30-40 mins test drive but the tires are new and if they wear prematurely I am sure they will get louder. What I don't know is how the RF dunlops handle in snow and rain? My G37x has continentals and they do pretty good in bad weather.

#22 ·
I think my plan is to either 1) eat the cost and put on regular tires or 2) negotiate wheel/tire insurance into the offer for a real low price so at least I have peace of mind from a reliability standpoint. The dealer said they would be willing to do the latter. If they do, and sell me the car at invoice and give me a good price on trade I will order one this Friday.

#23 ·
Invoice is doable without any serious negotiating. My deal is at invoice. I was upfront and told them I would only do invoice or lower. At invoice I know they are making money from the hold-back, Nissan incentives, etc. I'm ok with that since it's really a small % of the total cost on a $64k vehicle...my dealer also offers a lifetime powertrain warranty for free. I had another dealer who offered me invoice as well but stuck with my original dealer because of their reviews and the way they treat all their customers.

So push for invoice or lower and be willing to walk away if they won't give it to you.

#26 ·
Sorry, but as I said in a previous post, I have not driven it enough to be a judge of anything. I think your 'plan' above is a good one!

#30 ·
brn_doc, I can't say that noise was a noticeable issue. Maybe I was expecting a 'luxury' car ride even as a Sport. However, I think it has about the same ride as my 370Z which was a Touring/Sport. Of course, I don't really know if that is because of those RF's, or the suspension. Time will tell. :) I assume it would have a better ride with conventional tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.