Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title mentions, my 2017 sport RWD had it's engine replaced at 60k miles. There are no modifications done to the car.

Does anyone know if this is a common thing for the VR30 regardless of how well you maintain the car/engine? Am I better off selling the car as my powertrain warranty is coming to an end?

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,325 Posts
I guess that would depend on if you can find a car to trade for in a deal that you would walk away happy.

·
Registered
481 Posts
As the title mentions, my 2017 sport RWD had it's engine replaced at 60k miles. There are no modifications done to the car.

Does anyone know if this is a common thing for the VR30 regardless of how well you maintain the car/engine? Am I better off selling the car as my powertrain warranty is coming to an end?
Have you had the car since new? What is the issue that caused your engine to be replaced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had the car since new? What is the issue that caused your engine to be replaced?
I was not the original owner, I bought the car at 50k miles. Apart from the Carfax, I do not know if this car was maintained properly or not. It goes without saying that I can give this new engine the TLC it deserves but my chief complaint is that if the original engine was maintained and an engine failure still occurred, I would be without a powertrain warranty and in need of a new engine.

·
Administrator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
4,325 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Quick thoughts:

1) People who buy Q60 RS tend to run'em hard when they know there not going to keep.

2) Wonder what deal you could get from the dealer on a brand new one where you could maintain from the get-go?

3) I love my Q60, she is part of me so don't think I could depart without another one 😎

Reactions: 831Q60RS

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was not the original owner, I bought the car at 50k miles. Apart from the Carfax, I do not know if this car was maintained properly or not. It goes without saying that I can give this new engine the TLC it deserves but my chief complaint is that if the original engine was maintained and an engine failure still occurred, I would be without a powertrain warranty and in need of a new engine.
I assume that with any used car it's been beat on before you got it. At this point, you've got a new engine, I'd look into getting an extended warranty if you don't already have one. Switch to 5w30 engine oil, change it every 5k.

FWIW, I also got my car used from Carmax with 44k miles on it. It was a rental before I got it. I had my trans replaced at 66k miles and the engine replaced at 68k miles. I assume that it had a rough life before me, but I essentially have an entire new drivetrain now. Anything that happens to the drivetrain from here on out I will only be able to blame myself for. 😂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume that with any used car it's been beat on before you got it. At this point, you've got a new engine, I'd look into getting an extended warranty if you don't already have one. Switch to 5w30 engine oil, change it every 5k.

FWIW, I also got my car used from Carmax with 44k miles on it. It was a rental before I got it. I had my trans replaced at 66k miles and the engine replaced at 68k miles. I assume that it had a rough life before me, but I essentially have an entire new drivetrain now. Anything that happens to the drivetrain from here on out I will only be able to blame myself for. 😂
I'd imagine 5w30 would be for warmer climates, but considering I live in the northeast I may leave it at 0w20.

I don't know the condition of the transmission but I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an ATF service even though Infiniti claims the ATF will last for the life of the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,898 Posts
I don't know the condition of the transmission but I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an ATF service even though Infiniti claims the ATF will last for the life of the vehicle.
I had my transmission fluid drained and filled (7 qts) at 31k miles, and it has made a world of difference with the shift quality. I'd recommend it way before 100k miles.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'd imagine 5w30 would be for warmer climates, but considering I live in the northeast I may leave it at 0w20.

You could do 0w30 if you're concerned about cold weather starting, but the difference between 0w and 5w is that 0w is good down to -40 degrees C (-40F) and 5w is good down to -35 degrees C (-31F). A 30 weight under normal operating temps will better protect your engine than the 20 weight will.

I'd also recommend getting the ATF serviced.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the lowest cost option would be to purchase an extended warranty from infiniti, probably around $3,000+ and good for few years to ~120k miles. It's not the best time to buy a new car, unless paying up is OK with you.

·
Registered
2018 Q60 Red Sport AWD
11 Posts
I had my transmission fluid drained and filled (7 qts) at 31k miles, and it has made a world of difference with the shift quality. I'd recommend it way before 100k miles.
Im about 35k miles, tuned & FBO for the last 5-7k miles & feel it's time to change my transmission fluid. I asked my Infiniti adviser & he mentioned to me that they do not touch the transmission fluid unless there is a problem. Not quite sure why they are hesitant to service the transmission? I know they speak of the "lifetime fluid", but i don't buy it lol! Just like they advise 10k oil change intervals hahahaha No thank you!

Curious on your take....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Im about 35k miles, tuned & FBO for the last 5-7k miles & feel it's time to change my transmission fluid. I asked my Infiniti adviser & he mentioned to me that they do not touch the transmission fluid unless there is a problem. Not quite sure why they are hesitant to service the transmission? I know they speak of the "lifetime fluid", but i don't buy it lol! Just like they advise 10k oil change intervals hahahaha No thank you!

Curious on your take....
Do it. It's a worthwhile service to have done at your mileage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,898 Posts
Do it. It's a worthwhile service to have done at your mileage.
Agreed, and if they won't do it, find another dealership that will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts