Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So, its official. Just put my order in for 2017 Q60 RS400 AWD, Iridium blue with black interior, fully loaded with all tech options (e.g., DAS, tech, safety etc..) and ground lights. Will tint and put on expel clear bra upon taking possession of car. Will likely replace run flats after they wear down. Hoping it is built and in by April (they quoted me about 3 mos). Got the car for invoice and a good 'quoted' trade in value on my 2010 G37.

Today, I test drove the Q50 RS400 fully loaded for an hr and the Q60 RS400 without all the bells and whistles for 1.5 hrs. I previously test drove the Q60 for 30 mins. So all in all put in a 2-3 hrs in this car. I test drove the Q50 to see how I would like DAS and the safety features and Q60 for fit and handling. I am coming from a 2010 G37x and don't track my cars but enjoy spirited driving (I might track it..my bud has an Audi R8 v10 and he goes all the time). I don't do a lot of real long drives. I have 2 kids, a 5 y/o and a 2 y/o. They ride in my car about 20% of the time. Need a car that handles well in snow as I live in the upper midwest.

Below are my impressions.

* DAS - I have read a lot of mixed reviews on DAS. I never experienced it until today. I went in there with negative expectations and I came out neutral to positive. I didn't feel that the steering was "disconnected". It felt fine in my opinion at highway speeds, and at slower speeds with some tight cornering. I did some figure 8's in a parking lot and it was fine. I noticed some sway back and forth on the highway and it felt odd but that was the lane correction option as it kept me in between the lines. I turned it off and no back and forth movement. I tried different settings for the DAS but didn't notice huge differences and kept it in Sport or Standard. I am sure it can be dialed in better if I had time. So, for an everyday driver, and the driver who likes to drive spirited at times, it is 100% fine. If it allows me to drive semi-autonomously (which it can do) and reduces driver fatigue.. thats cool with me. Maybe I would dislike it more if I was tracking the car..

* Safety Features - Overall, they are pretty cool and can be intrusive under some driving circumstances. For example, I was driving on the highway and coming up on a car in front of me (I was coming pretty quick) and it warned me and then braked before I moved over lanes. I felt the breaking, which was weird and cool, and I applied acceleration and over-rode it and it was fine. At a red light, I purposefully let me get close to another car stopped at the light and my car stopped for me. Not a harsh stop ...a normal stop. That was cool. It didn't sense a bus interestingly and I wonder if it is because the bus rides higher than a car. The lane correction was interesting. I purposefully drifted lanes and ~75-80% of the time it pushed me back into my lane. It cut it close to the line (few oh **** moments) and I didn't quite trust it on my drive but I am sure I will build confidence in it as I learn when it works best (clear road markings, etc). Adaptive cruise worked flawlessly. Overall, I am happy I spend the extra $$ on these options. I think they will be handy in everyday driving (rush hour, stop and go) and you can disable all of it with a button on steering wheel... so pretty easy to do. It was like the car was telling me... hey bud.. chill.

* Bose System - expected more but it was good/acceptable. I played different XM radio channels and the quality varied a bit and I wonder if the source or compression amount played a role. For general listening it is fine. Bass response was okay.

* Nav - graphics a tad out of date but it works :) Voice commands worked great. I entered an address at normal speed/road noise and it had no problems doing it. You can also ask car to change cabin temp or where are you and other commands.

* Trunk space - Adequate. I think I could fit 2 large suitcases and maybe some other stuff back there. Back seats fold down so much more room for other things. I don't think spare tire area is usable as there appears to be 2 metal brick like things welded back there.

* Auto start - cool feature. Thanks Infiniti

* Road noise - road noise was not too bad. Quieter than I thought it would be. I think the crap dunlop run flats are not helping in this department. But even with them... not bad. I can listen to music, talk on bluetooth, etc.. no problems

* Seats - Very comfortable and adjustable. Really like them.

* Infants and Kids - I was real worried about this so I drove the Q60 back to my house and put the seats in and the kids and wife and went for a drive. No problems getting my 5 and 2 y/o in and out of seats. They are forward facing and it was definitely doable. The seats have a button that automatically slides up chair so that helped a lot. I am 5'7 and my wife is shorter so there was plenty of space for them in back. They could kick back of seats but they weren't crammed in there. If you are taller than 5-9 or 5-10 not sure how much room you'd have back there.

* Acceleration and handling - Great acceleration in RS400. It pulled the entire way and no turbo lag. Didn't push the handling too much but it cornered pretty well at moderate speeds. I was doing figure 8's and there was some light snow patches and the back kicked out a bit but traction control nd AWD handled it fine. Not sure how it will do in real snow ......

* Exhaust - its ok... could be meaner.

* Looks - totally subjective but love it!!!!!

I noticed that the LED light strip in the door (above handle) is standard in the RS400. Nice touch.

Things I wish it had:

Cooled seats
Better Sound system
HUD
Lumbar support on passenger seat
Room for Spare tire
Conventional tire option (going to get Conti Extreme or Michelins when tires wear down)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks for writing all that. Great info there. I agree you can't judge a sound system by XM radio though. I'm curious what Auto Start is?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I don't think spare tire area is usable as there appears to be 2 metal brick like things welded back there.
Yup. I don't know if Infiniti did that to prevent a spare being stored or to beef up the car's structure. Either way, a spare will not fit under the trunk floor mat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome review! I agree on the audio concerns... XM is garbage. Pandora set to high quality should sound better and a cd should be light-years better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
One vital thing to consider is as more and more automotive data plans come out with better pricing and usage capacity we should see a rise of internet radio streaming. That's what i'm really interested in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts