Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install this in their Q60 yet?

If so what are your thoughts? Any performance gains? Any companies offer a better alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
They're only as good as the person that maintains them. They have to be cleaned and oiled. I prefer OEM on all my vehicles. I bought a Harley that had a K&N. That was the only time I've ever used one. Google reviews for K&N.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're only as good as the person that maintains them. They have to be cleaned and oiled. I prefer OEM on all my vehicles. I bought a Harley that had a K&N. That was the only time I've ever used one. Google reviews for K&N.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I was thinking more from a performance aspect, but I see your point. Wouldn't feel like having to maintain the filter.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I was thinking more from a performance aspect, but I see your point. Wouldn't feel like having to maintain the filter.

Thanks for the feedback.
If you read the nicoclub link I posted, the tests posted show that the K&N is less restrictive, but it also has a lower capacity to hold dirt and lets more dirt pass into your engine. If you're racing your car on a track and want to clean and oil it after every race it might be worth the trouble. If you're only driving on the street then it may cause more wear on your engine.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I have the AEM filters which are the dry [email protected] filters. They were not a true fit, tried to explain and work with them and they were no help. To get the AEM filer to fit, I had to trim around the molding. So now waiting on AFE, these look like the factory fit.

aFe POWER 31-10271-MA Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filters | aFe POWER
The most important part of an air filter is the fit. If the gasket doesn't make a good seal, then unfiltered air is getting inside your engine.

Reactions: Q60bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's official. I will be keeping the OEM filter. Trying to find as many non-warranty voiding mods as possible lol. I'm running out of options

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
It's official. I will be keeping the OEM filter. Trying to find as many non-warranty voiding mods as possible lol. I'm running out of options
If you just have to spend some money, spend it on something that you're going to notice. If I sneaked into your garage and installed K&N filters, you wouldn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Running out of performance mod ideas? You could always start making small changes to the exterior, but it depends on how flexible your dealership is when it comes to interpretation of the warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Was surprised by the tires and wheels bit too, but that shouldn't be a cause of concern if the aftermarket wheels are of the same size as the factory ones. Everything else seems to be within reason, especially with the blown gaskets due to performance mods or towing something that's beyond the suggested rating.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Aftermarket wheels aren't much of an issue. It's just making sure they're close to spec with oem. Specs such as off-set, bore spacing, width, tire size, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put one in on mine. Its the only thing I have on my car that isn't OEM. But honestly, I can't tell the difference in performance. I had the OEM one in mine for the past year and a half and dropped in the K&N 2 months ago.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any audible differences ?

Very good question.

I'd like to know the same. However if there is an increase risk of dirt getting in to the engine like the others have said, I think I'm going to pass on it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts