Infiniti Q60 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing the wheel and tire insurance from Infiniti ($600 est), since the stock Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT
are $421 ea, and I believe the stock 19" rims go for almost $1000 ea.

I'd like a much better tire than the Dunlops since they have horrible reviews. However if I go w/ non run flats, I see some of you have stated there is no space in the trunk for a spare b/c of blocks in the trunk area. But then some have said there is a spare kit being developed by infiniti. So if there is a flat, I don't have a jack to lift the car, or donut to put on.

In my 2014 Q60 the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires were excellent in dry/wet/snow, no issues at all w/ them for the past 3 years. I'd like to have a similar experience w/ the 2017 RS AWD Q60's tires.

What's the best solution here?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I believe run flats also don't offer the best performance compared to non-run flat alternatives. Those seem to be rated as Summer tires, you ran them all year? I'm assuming you get minimal ice / snow build up?

I personally ran Falken FK 453s last summer on my G37 with Nokian Hakka r2s for winter and loved them both, even though the Falkens died within 10,000 kms (partially my own fault). However, I'll be trying Super Sports this summer for the Q60, as the 4s don't come in the size I need for the rear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe run flats also don't offer the best performance compared to non-run flat alternatives. Those seem to be rated as Summer tires, you ran them all year? I'm assuming you get minimal ice / snow build up?

I personally ran Falken FK 453s last summer on my G37 with Nokian Hakka r2s for winter and loved them both, even though the Falkens died within 10,000 kms (partially my own fault). However, I'll be trying Super Sports this summer for the Q60, as the 4s don't come in the size I need for the rear.
The SP Dunlop Sport Maxx's on my '14 Q60 AWD were All Seasons. We see quite a bit of snow here in NYC, so I'm looking into Dunlop Signature HP ($184), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ($204) or something similar, if the stock run flats are as bad as they say.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I say live out your run flats then get some real tires from Tire Rack like Continental Xtreme's. The Insurance IMO isn't worth it but get the insurance on your new tires from Tire Rack. Also pick up a portable air compressor for $50 Bucks and keep in trunk so if you get a flat you can get to safety. Again juds IMO.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Honestly whether to keep the RF's or not is entirely up to you and your wallet. The Dunlop's indeed have horrible reviews and I personally hated them so much I replaced them with Continental DWS's with little hesitation and the ride quality improved dramatically with a quieter and smoother feel.

As far as your concern about not having a spare or jack with non-RF's you can easily resolve that. You can buy a third party scissor jack from a number of places or just buy one from Infiniti (which will be exceedingly more expensive I bet). Or better yet just ask your dealer to transfer your jack and hook from your G37 to the Q60. Personally I feel that even with RF's they still should supply one with the car given the fact they have a cut out in the block in the trunk there in the first plays. As for the spare you can always just get a tire patch kit and a tire inflator that can be powered via the cig lighter in the car, that's what I do. Or just get a can of fix-a-flat and call it even.

Honestly the best solution is what gives you what you want in the end.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I will be purchasing the wheel and tire insurance from Infiniti ($600 est), since the stock Dunlop SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT
are $421 ea, and I believe the stock 19" rims go for almost $1000 ea.

I'd like a much better tire than the Dunlops since they have horrible reviews. However if I go w/ non run flats, I see some of you have stated there is no space in the trunk for a spare b/c of blocks in the trunk area. But then some have said there is a spare kit being developed by infiniti. So if there is a flat, I don't have a jack to lift the car, or donut to put on.

In my 2014 Q60 the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires were excellent in dry/wet/snow, no issues at all w/ them for the past 3 years. I'd like to have a similar experience w/ the 2017 RS AWD Q60's tires.

What's the best solution here?
Yeah, the RWD comes with no jack and no spare. We get this:

Continental ContiMobility Puncture Repair Kit 12v Air Compressor

I bought a used Altima jack off of ebay which is a standard Nissan scissor jack. Works great.

There is absolutely no place under the trunk deck for even a space saver spare tire.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The strange odyssey of the Q60 'trunk'....The RS 400 AWD comes with run flats with a questionable reputation and a lug wrench. No spare, no jack, no tow hook. There is a place to store Bevo's repair kit in a cubbie in the side of the trunk. It looks like Infiniti went to extra trouble to spot weld metal blocks in the 'spare tire well' to make sure it could not be used for much of anything. I didn't even get a full sheet of insulation pad. :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
The strange odyssey of the Q60 'trunk'....The RS 400 AWD comes with run flats with a questionable reputation and a lug wrench. No spare, no jack, no tow hook. There is a place to store Bevo's repair kit in a cubbie in the side of the trunk. It looks like Infiniti went to extra trouble to spot weld metal blocks in the 'spare tire well' to make sure it could not be used for much of anything. I didn't even get a full sheet of insulation pad. :(
I'm wondering if those metal blocks are to make the structure more rigid to handle the 400HP?

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
I'm wondering if those metal blocks are to make the structure more rigid to handle the 400HP?
I need to look at them closely and I'm not a structural engineer (mechanical & aerospace though), but they don't seem properly set up to add any torsional rigidity from 350lbft of torque. If anything I wonder if they were cutouts made to the BIW to help during the assembly process and then haphazardly welded over...dunno. Or there could have been some kind of clearance or other issue (suspension components??) that they fixed with a band-aid solution (thereby ensuring no spare tire).

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have seen mini versions of floor jacks for those who want something safer that they can have more confidence in. Local auto parts stores and even wal-mart should have them. I have more confidence in those jacks than scissor jacks

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
I have seen mini versions of floor jacks for those who want something safer that they can have more confidence in. Local auto parts stores and even wal-mart should have them. I have more confidence in those jacks than scissor jacks
Yeah, I just bought the scissor jack just to get a tire off the ground, not to support the car with me under it.

:D

Nissan scissor jacks are perfectly fine, otherwise someone would have surely filed a lawsuit by now as they go all the way back to Datsun. Plus, as seen in the pic there's still a cutout to store one with the lug wrench.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the RWD comes with no jack and no spare. We get this:

Continental ContiMobility Puncture Repair Kit 12v Air Compressor

I bought a used Altima jack off of ebay which is a standard Nissan scissor jack. Works great.

There is absolutely no place under the trunk deck for even a space saver spare tire.
Thanks for the pics, looks like I will be getting those soon. Is the puncture repair kit essentially "fix-a-flat," (which I already have)?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Thanks for the pics, looks like I will be getting those soon. Is the puncture repair kit essentially "fix-a-flat," (which I already have)?
It's a container of sealant (with an expiration date) that screws onto the compressor so that it can be pumped into your broken flat tire. BMW uses that same brand in their cars as well.

:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the pics, the blocks are terrible, I'd say they're just trying to force us to forget using a spare...

Would the jack and lug nut wrench from previous gen work for the '17 Q60?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400
3,698 Posts
Thanks for the pics, the blocks are terrible, I'd say they're just trying to force us to forget using a spare...

Would the jack and lug nut wrench from previous gen work for the '17 Q60?
A lug wrench comes with the car. I'm pretty sure all Nissan/Infiniti scissor jacks will work on all Nissan/Infiniti sedans and coupes. The jack points under the car are marked just like they were for Datsuns.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A lug wrench comes with the car. I'm pretty sure all Nissan/Infiniti scissor jacks will work on all Nissan/Infiniti sedans and coupes. The jack points under the car are marked just like they were for Datsuns.
OK, thanks for clearing that up!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with Bevo, the Nissan scissor jacks work just fine. I have used them for years with my string of Z cars. Of course, that is under the best of conditions in my driveway and not on the edge of the road somewhere.

Reactions: Bevo Horn

·
Registered
42 Posts
What all weather performance tires would you recommend to replace the Dunlop RF's on my Q60RS AWD?

I am leasing the car and do not want to purchase new wheels. I know that I will have to replace the Dunlop's before my lease is up so I might as well replace the tires now and put the Dunlop RF's back on before I return it.

·
Super Moderator
2,121 Posts
What all weather performance tires would you recommend to replace the Dunlop RF's on my Q60RS AWD?

I am leasing the car and do not want to purchase new wheels. I know that I will have to replace the Dunlop's before my lease is up so I might as well replace the tires now and put the Dunlop RF's back on before I return it.
Are you planning on sticking with RFs or will you switch to non-RFs?

If switching to non-RFs, then my recommendation would be either the Michelin A/S3+ or the Continental DWS06. I prefer the Michelin but will probably go with the Contis since they come in the size I plan on switching to eventually. You can't go wrong with either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts